REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,501 of 2,116
I can too vouch for Frogbeats customer service. I have been after some FA-011 since about Nov. 2011. David (the owner) has always been incredibly responsive to all my emails along the way keeping me very well informed. I think they are a relatively new company but they definitely have a fantastic attitude to business and customers. I only hope, as they get bigger, they can continue the fantastic service. I have no affiliation to Frogbeats but I do run a mail order company selling school musicals so I know all too well the trials and tribulations of running such a business.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,502 of 2,116
Has anyone done any head to head comparisons with the Beyer 770/80, ath-m50, ultrasone 580, 780 and any other basshead cans. I can't find any specific threads. With these being open phones, does the bass impact/body suffer compared to closed cans? I'm very interested in buying these and have decided to sell my Hd558's. 

Also can people who own these post their opinions or give me a link please. This thread is very long so no doubt some useful comments have been drowned out (although I'll probably end up reading this whole thread anyway).

Edit* Also what do you mean by deep bass. Looking at the frequency response of the beyers, it ranges from 5-35KHz whereas the FA's only range from 18-22KHz (according to frogbeats). Even the FA-006 go lower.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #1,504 of 2,116

Quote:
Has anyone done any head to head comparisons with the Beyer 770/80, ath-m50, ultrasone 580, 780 and any other basshead cans. I can't find any specific threads. With these being open phones, does the bass impact/body suffer compared to closed cans? I'm very interested in buying these and have decided to sell my Hd558's. 

Also can people who own these post their opinions or give me a link please. This thread is very long so no doubt some useful comments have been drowned out (although I'll probably end up reading this whole thread anyway).

Edit* Also what do you mean by deep bass. Looking at the frequency response of the beyers, it ranges from 5-35KHz whereas the FA's only range from 18-22KHz (according to frogbeats). Even the FA-006 go lower.

The only other "basshead" headphones I own are the Denon D2000s.  Compared to the Fischers, they extend deeper and have more punch, but there's less bass quantity.

However, compared to my HD555 (fairly similar to the HD558, though the HD558 does have a bit more bass), the FA-011 has oodles more bass and sounds better for most things.  About the only things I prefer the HD555 for are classical and some super mid-centric vocal pieces.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,505 of 2,116
I paid $172 including shipping for my pair at frogbeats.com. Got them in 2days and in immaculate condition.

The extra cost was well spent. Don't have to worry about gd-audiobase's bad customer service and having my headphones potentially damaged along the way. Plus, no 6-8 week expected wait. Their rep was the only reason why I was hesitant on ever owning a pair.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,507 of 2,116

Quote:
The only other "basshead" headphones I own are the Denon D2000s.  Compared to the Fischers, they extend deeper and have more punch, but there's less bass quantity.

However, compared to my HD555 (fairly similar to the HD558, though the HD558 does have a bit more bass), the FA-011 has oodles more bass and sounds better for most things.  About the only things I prefer the HD555 for are classical and some super mid-centric vocal pieces.

What exactly does bass quantity mean? It's interesting you also own the much more expensive D2000's. Would you say compared to the FA-011's they earn their price tag? What equipment did you try it with and which genre of music/activities such as games, movies etc? D2000's should obviously sound better in every aspect but it'd put a smile on my face if a potential purchase was able to get close to something that's not really in it's class.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,508 of 2,116

Quote:

What exactly does bass quantity mean? It's interesting you also own the much more expensive D2000's. Would you say compared to the FA-011's they earn their price tag? What equipment did you try it with and which genre of music/activities such as games, movies etc? D2000's should obviously sound better in every aspect but it'd put a smile on my face if a potential purchase was able to get close to something that's not really in it's class.

Bass quantity for me could be interpreted as more of a midbass hump I guess - the bass notes are louder, but you don't feel them quite as much (less impact).

For what I paid ($200), the D2000 was worth the extra.  At the normal retail price these days ($350-400), I would say no though.  I'm running them just off my E10 right now, which works ok - I've used them for games (pretty good, better bass rumble than the FA-011s, more comfortable, but smaller soundstage), rock, pop, electronic, and indy/alternative.  They do really, really well with electronic - bass resolution is excellent and they go really deep.  The D2000s do well with the others, but the difference over the FA-011s isn't as big.  As I said earlier, the one thing that the FA-011s really win on for me is the mids, especially vocals.  On the D2000, they feel recessed, like the singer is standing behind the rest of the band.  It's not bad and after a while, you stop noticing it, but after listening to the FA-011 for 3 months, I noticed it right away.  The FA-011 mids, in comparison are fairly up-front and very, very smooth.

The D2000 in general has more clarity, better bass extension and impact, better comfort, and better isolation.  The FA-011 has better mids and a larger soundstage.  However, the only thing that it gets truly spanked in by the D2000 is the bass extension and impact - the others are relatively minor differences.  I think that's pretty amazing considering the price differential.  Some of that is probably due to the law of diminishing returns, which is especially noticeable in headphones - I think that $200 is pretty much the sweet spot in price/performance.  I've heard some higher-end headphones, and while I could tell that they were better, they weren't multiple hundreds to $1000+ better.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,509 of 2,116
Still waiting on my order from NoisyMotel, they had a delay in the shipment so should expect to receive it hopefully next week sometime - upon checking the store webpage though I noticed something pretty exciting. They have recently added a photo of the carry case included with the cans.

Check it out:

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,510 of 2,116

Quote:
Still waiting on my order from NoisyMotel, they had a delay in the shipment so should expect to receive it hopefully next week sometime - upon checking the store webpage though I noticed something pretty exciting. They have recently added a photo of the carry case included with the cans.

Check it out:

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

Forget the case, look at that stand 
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #1,511 of 2,116

Quote:
Forget the case, look at that stand 
eek.gif

They aren't coming with the stand... I asked

Hopefully it would be available as an extra, won't mind paying more for it :wink:

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #1,512 of 2,116

Quote:

They aren't coming with the stand... I asked

Hopefully it would be available as an extra, won't mind paying more for it :wink:

Yeah I can confirm this, was asking Billy @ NoisyMotel and he advised that it can be purchased as a separate accessory sometime in the near future, he couldn't advise the price at the time though. It looks freaking nice, will beat hanging my cans over the spare monitor on my desk :p

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,514 of 2,116
Has anyone had enough time with their new pair to post any thoughts or reviews yet?  I am stuck between these, the Senn 598 and the AKG 701Q....if I can get a sound that has a fun sound close to the Senn or AKQ for $170, i will just go with the Fischers. 

Also, what portable amp (non tube) do you think goes the best with these.  I have a Creative Titanium HD soundcard in my computer...would that be enough or do you recommend something to add to this for the Fischers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back