REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Dec 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,366 of 2,116
I'm searching for a new headphone and I want to ask here;

How do these compare to the Superlux HD668B?

The HD668B is a semi-open and the FA-011 is open 
- I have the HD668B and I'm looking for something better, my main questions are:

Is the FA-011 more fun sounding and is the bass stronger or the same?

(I use them for Dubstep, but I'm not a basshead)

Greetings,

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,367 of 2,116

Quote:
how do they fair for competitive fps gaming.

I just played 3 rounds are Karkand. These are awesome for gaming. The directional sound and bass adds to the realism.  The staging is perfect too.. I likes.. I think my A900X and Samson Sr850 are the only other 2 that are a bit better. These get the Dsnuts thumbs of approval for gaming for sure.!

Quote:
I'm searching for a new headphone and I want to ask here;

How do these compare to the Superlux HD668B?

The HD668B is a semi-open and the FA-011 is open 
- I have the HD668B and I'm looking for something better, my main questions are:

Is the FA-011 more fun sounding and is the bass stronger or the same?

(I use them for Dubstep, but I'm not a basshead)

Greetings,

Well to be honest with you these FA-011 are great set of cans but for EDM my HTF600 is not too far off. In fact I think the HTF600 sounds a bit better for EDM. Very similar sounding. If you want to save yourself some money and get a fun can without waiting 2 months to get them. Try a HTF600. Plus they only cost $35.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,368 of 2,116

Quote:
I just played 3 rounds are Karkand. These are awesome for gaming. The directional sound and bass adds to the realism.  The staging is perfect too.. I likes.. I think my A900X and Samson Sr850 are the only other 2 that are a bit better. These get the Dsnuts thumbs of approval for gaming for sure.!

Definitely agree with this.  Love the staging for BF3, and the immersion factor in Skyrim and other single-player games is fantastic as well.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #1,369 of 2,116

Quote:

well how about competitive gaming, Ill either get these or some triton ones, probably gonna use em for xpl and cevo, and hopefully lans in the future. Also is there another option better for gaming in the 100$ price range? 

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,370 of 2,116
Congratulations Dsnuts! Hope you are enjoying those FA-011s, and wonder how the music will sound with those headphones, seeing as the gaming portion for the headphones rock on it!

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #1,371 of 2,116
I <3 this can and is my favorite =).

The funnier part is how the turtle beach HPA2 is the shell used for this.  ^_~  BTW I have both and for online FPS I use the HPA2 because it just does better for positional but once it's time for some single player immersion, FA-011 all the way =D.

I use this set-up

hpa2_extigy_title.jpg

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,372 of 2,116

Quote:
well how about competitive gaming, Ill either get these or some triton ones, probably gonna use em for xpl and cevo, and hopefully lans in the future. Also is there another option better for gaming in the 100$ price range? 

Depends on what you're looking for.  If you want clarity and positioning, the AD700s are pretty good.  I personally think they have abysmal bass and fit though, and had to do unspeakable things to them to get them to stay on my melon.  However, the price is right, and they're pretty easy to drive.

Try this thread -- it's where I learned just about everything I know about headphone gaming.

Mad Lust Envy aka Shin CZ's Guide To Headphone Gaming (particularly with Dolby Headphone)

I personally like my FA-011s and DT990s much better for gaming and everything else, and for me, AD700s were an unequivocally failed experiment.  I plug them into my Xoom sometimes, when I want to watch Netflix without firing up the amp for the Beyers.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,373 of 2,116
Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of the box.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,374 of 2,116
I can't wait until I can play some Skyrim with these...I just never have the time to dedicate to it.

I mentioned before that the comfort was a huge problem for me, but the tissue mod worked wonders.  Actually, I used a paper towel half-sheet for each cup, rolled it, and twisted it to make it firm...it was a HUGE PAIN getting these underneath the pads without pulling the pads off though, and I had to try many times before I got it right.  The thicker you make your stuffing, the harder it is.  I ended up loosening some of the stitching on one of the pads while I was twisting it too (twisting the pads seems to help get the edge inside the lip of the cup better).  I really wish Turtle Beach made the pads bigger in the first place and gave some more leeway for the part that fits over the cup lip, but oh well.

After stuffing the pads, my FA-011's are actually fairly comfortable!  Someone with bigger ears might still have issues, but I don't.  I'm sure the deeper pads altered the sound quality in subtle ways, but the overall character of the sound remains the same as before.  The only difference I can actually notice is that I might be physically feeling the sub-bass a little less, since my ears aren't smashed against the driver grill...but the overall volume and quality seems the same.  Other than that, I can't really point out any improvements or declines in sound quality, and I'd need a second unstuffed pair to do any kind of real comparison.

If anyone else has comfort/fit issues, I'd definitely suggest stuffing the pads underneath.  It's frustrating trying to get it right (and I'm always afraid of accidentally pulling the pads off), but it has satisfactorily addressed my biggest complaint with these headphones, and they sound basically the same.  I should note that the sharpest/screechiest highs seem slightly tamer than when I first received them, but I'm not sure if that's due to headphone breaks-in, brain break-in, or moving my ears farther from the driver.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,375 of 2,116

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of the box.

The shipping box I received from Russia was:
17 and 1/8"
x
10 and 5/8"
x
7 and 7/16"

It's pretty big.
I also just realized how cumbersome it can be to write the fractional parts of lengths in United States customary units.  I love my base-2 volume measurements for cooking, and the length of an inch is visually much more intuitive to me than the length of a centimeter...but writing base-10 decimal numbers for lengths would be so much more compact.  Blah.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,376 of 2,116

Quote:
The shipping box I received from Russia was:
17 and 1/8"
x
10 and 5/8"
x
7 and 7/16"

It's pretty big.
I also just realized how cumbersome it can be to write the fractional parts of lengths in United States customary units.  I love my base-2 volume measurements for cooking, and the length of an inch is visually much more intuitive to me than the length of a centimeter...but writing base-10 decimal numbers for lengths would be so much more compact.  Blah.

Thanks alot! I now know what I should be expecting for Christmas 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,378 of 2,116
For those who are experiencing rattling inside, as I've explained earlier in the 20 pages back or so, that you need to open these up completely to solve the rattling problem. The rattling is the vibration sent from the sound that is making the long wire's inside tap against the grills. To fix the problem you need to ply off your earpads carefully so they don't rip, remove the foam, there are 4 screws underneath, unscrew it and gently separate the plastic driver housing from the wood housing as you can accidentally rip off the wire's inside from its contacts. Get some black electrician tap or any other tap and tape it to the sides of the wooden housing, not on the grill do note. Do the reverse of the above procedure to re-assemble the headphone.

Enjoy.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,379 of 2,116

Quote:
If you get the same one as mine, you'll know it when you see it.  It's a white and blue box with Russian ALL OVER it, haha.

Well I have no idea how the box looks because my mom knows how much I've been wanting these cans so I suspect she got them for me. The reason why I asked about the dimensions is because I saw a fairly large present (wrapped) and I was like hmmmm, lemme go on head fi and ask for the dimensions. So I did and I got a tape measurer and measured it and the dimensions where very close. So i believe she got me the fa-011s :D

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,380 of 2,116

Quote:
Depends on what you're looking for.  If you want clarity and positioning, the AD700s are pretty good.  I personally think they have abysmal bass and fit though, and had to do unspeakable things to them to get them to stay on my melon.  However, the price is right, and they're pretty easy to drive.

Try this thread -- it's where I learned just about everything I know about headphone gaming.

Mad Lust Envy aka Shin CZ's Guide To Headphone Gaming (particularly with Dolby Headphone)

I personally like my FA-011s and DT990s much better for gaming and everything else, and for me, AD700s were an unequivocally failed experiment.  I plug them into my Xoom sometimes, when I want to watch Netflix without firing up the amp for the Beyers.

hmmm dt990 might be a posibility, and yeah for cod 4 i need good high bass response for bomb planting. Have you heard the D200

Quote:
I <3 this can and is my favorite =).

The funnier part is how the turtle beach HPA2 is the shell used for this.  ^_~  BTW I have both and for online FPS I use the HPA2 because it just does better for positional but once it's time for some single player immersion, FA-011 all the way =D.

I use this set-up

hpa2_extigy_title.jpg

wait is that really a reshelled fa011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back