REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Nov 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,201 of 2,116

Quote:
Don't Worry, now they are using coins, a dollar on the left and a euro on the right :wink:
Hope Aeroflot guys are burning mine in this month travelling from Russia to Portugal, as you probably know Portugal is on the dark side of the moon.
I'm waiting for so long for this "things" that my expectation are growing day by day, hope I won't get a big disappointment

Oh, geez.  A dollar on the left and a Euro on the right?  I need to start remembering all of the details when I make a wish, because there's no telling when a literal (or malevolent) genie might be listening!
eek.gif

Seriously though, I can't imagine you'll be kept waiting too much longer.  The rest of us have some time to go though...

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,202 of 2,116
Mine arrived from Frogbeats today.  A couple of initial observations:

1.  The version that Frogbeats is shipping comes in the same carrying case as the FA-003/-002w/etc, which is nice.  However, it doesn't have the cable extension, which isn't so great.  I talked to David and he said that they've already asked Fischer if they can fix this for future shipments and they're considering sending out an extension to everyone who didn't get one.  Apparently Fischer didn't include a 1/4" adapter either, but Frogbeats was nice enough to throw one of those in for all of them.  They're also the darker wood edition, if that matters to you, though mine still have a noticeable amount of red in certain light.

2.  Not the most comfortable cans ever.  The pads are too shallow, even for my relatively flat ears.  Stock clamping force is a bit higher than my HD555s.  I saw a suggestion somewhere in this thread (I think) to cut up an old CAT5 cable and use that to stuff under the pads for increased clearance, and I happened to have one lying around, so I tried it out.  Upside is increased clearance - my ears have a bit more space to work with now, but it comes at the cost of increased clamping force.  Still not a perfect fix, but better than stock.

3.  Oh god, the bass!
basshead.gif
  I don't consider myself a basshead, but the bass that these have is so much fun :D  Better yet, it doesn't seem to bleed into the midrange too much, so highs and vocals can still take center stage when they're supposed to.

4.  Build quality is mostly good.  Only two complaints here: The metal name plates on the cups look like they have dirty fingerprints on them.  I'll try to clean them off tomorrow.  The pads have some nicks and scratches in the side pleather.  No big deal though - they aren't actual cut through or anything.

5.  The pads are difficult to work with.  I tried to pull them off to see if I could replace them with the pads off of my Turtle Beach Z2 since the pads look to be about the same diameter, but a bit thicker (my original idea to fix the pad touching problem), but i discovered that the pads are attached to the frame, possibly by accident, at the bottom of the ear cup.  The rest of the pad came off fine, but when I gave the bottom a little tug, the edge of the pad started ripping.  I gave up after that, but I haven't been able to get the pad completely back in on one side.  It stays put, but only barely.

6.  Good synergy so far with the E10, though the bass boost isn't really needed.

Edit: I was writing this at 1 am, so, naturally, I forgot something.  I tried the FA-011 with my Xonar U3, but it didn't have the juice to drive them.  Volume was maxed out and they were still slightly below my normal listening level.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #1,204 of 2,116

Quote:
4.  Build quality is mostly good.  Only two complaints here: The metal name plates on the cups look like they have dirty fingerprints on them.  I'll try to clean them off tomorrow.  The pads have some nicks and scratches in the side pleather.  No big deal though - they aren't actual cut through or anything.

Do not use Methylated Spirits or any type of cleaning chemical with alcohol in it, it will make the metal plates look dirtier and if you get some on the wooden housing it will fade the paint away. (Happened to mine on the sides a bit, thinking of lacquering it or spray-paint with clear acrylic).

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,205 of 2,116

Quote:
Do not use Methylated Spirits or any type of cleaning chemical with alcohol in it, it will make the metal plates look dirtier and if you get some on the wooden housing it will fade the paint away. (Happened to mine on the sides a bit, thinking of lacquering it or spray-paint with clear acrylic).

Thanks for the tip.  Rubbing alcohol was going to be the first thing I tried.  Maybe I'll see if 409 does the trick.

Quote:
Good to ear it, I have bought one E10 for my laptop.
Just in case I will keep my E7 + E9 to see the diferences.

Definitely keep the E9 at least.  You can still hook the E10 into the E9 via the E10's line-out jack.  Supposedly it sounds better than the E7/E9 combo.  And the E7 still has a use if you think you might want something portable.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #1,206 of 2,116
So I went ahead and bought one of these, and:

1. The box came in almost destroyed as the OP's. But unlike his, my HP had to bear the brunt of shipping. The leather pads are scratched and almost worn off in one area. Asso, the wood is scratched a bit. How can you put the HP in a cardboard box and ship it internationally just like that? no foam, bubble wrap. disappointing.

2. No coiled wire. Just a very short wire and a extension. Again disappointing.

Havent tested it for sound extensively, just checked whether its working at all after all the shipping abuse! Will post pics later. Thanks!

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,207 of 2,116

Quote:
So I went ahead and bought one of these, and:

1. The box came in almost destroyed as the OP's. But unlike his, my HP had to bear the brunt of shipping. The leather pads are scratched and almost worn off in one area. Asso, the wood is scratched a bit. How can you put the HP in a cardboard box and ship it internationally just like that? no foam, bubble wrap. disappointing.

2. No coiled wire. Just a very short wire and a extension. Again disappointing.

Havent tested it for sound extensively, just checked whether its working at all after all the shipping abuse! Will post pics later. Thanks!

If I were you, I'd get in touch with which ever supplier you bought it from and email them back asap. I actually recommend you emailing Fischer Audio via there official headquater's website and then email the supplier you got the headphone from (Dimitry in case you purchased it from GD-Audiobase) and they will most likely request you to take pictures of the damage and actual item not fit for the actual product description on the product page info from the website. I did this when my Tau came and had fading paint and due to the expensive return shipping, Dimitry from GD-Audiobase just refunded me the original cost (around $35 inc shipping) so yeah. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #1,208 of 2,116

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Dmitry the day I received the item, no reply until now, its been some 2 days.
Quote:
If I were you, I'd get in touch with which ever supplier you bought it from and email them back asap. I actually recommend you emailing Fischer Audio via there official headquater's website and then email the supplier you got the headphone from (Dimitry in case you purchased it from GD-Audiobase) and they will most likely request you to take pictures of the damage and actual item not fit for the actual product description on the product page info from the website. I did this when my Tau came and had fading paint and due to the expensive return shipping, Dimitry from GD-Audiobase just refunded me the original cost (around $35 inc shipping) so yeah. 

Anyway, here are some pics.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,210 of 2,116
@minimix: yes it does. I still cant believe they put the hp in a box and shipped it. No bubble wrap or even some thermocol or something. I havent got a reply from gd-audiobase, hope someone from fischer sees these pics since this thread has probably accounted fro A LOT of sales for them, including mine. One more thing, the thing came in covered with dust.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,211 of 2,116
are those russianSOCKS over the earpads...?????
ph34r.gif

that scratccccccch looks nasty!

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,213 of 2,116
[size=10.0pt]30 minutes since I took them out of the box, and I only have one Word To describe[/size]
[size=10.0pt]A M A Z I N G[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I'm in love with how they sound, and a bit disappointed with the build quality [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Thank you Frogbeats for my pair, the other one I bought directly from GD-Audiobase are still on “burn-in on the russian custom's and mail office's” for more than a month.[/size]
[size=10pt]Perhaps they’ll come with lots of vodka bottles as compensation, if they'll ever arrived, even because they have left Russia twice [/size]
atsmile.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #1,214 of 2,116
I'm about at my wit's end with GD audio and Dmitry.

I have sent 3 separate emails, the last one somewhat hostile/threatening, and still nothing.  No tracking number, no updates, nothing.  I will never order from this guy again.  These things better arrive in absolute perfect condition.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,215 of 2,116
I think there's something wrong with their email system or something because when I ordered mine, I emailed them a couple of times and I never gotten any replies too. but I still gotten the package at the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back