REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Sep 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,051 of 2,116

Quote:
I'm back to using it with my FA-011s at the office... there's only one thing I don't like about it.  It's practically an antenna around my cell phone! Thought about building a faraday cage around the thing :).  Knowing me, I'll probably end up modding it eventually... how did you get started?

Dampening the back driver magnet with the little opening and soldering a 33k resistor. Also thinking about lacquering the housing and recabling the internals with Piccolino that I might grab some off Parrots if he has some soon and finish off my custom earpad which isn't going to well at the moment with black lambskin.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,052 of 2,116
OK, got my FA-011, was a bit underwhelmed when opening the box (one of those gold things on the side dropped out the first time I picked them up
blink.gif
and yes, HEAVY cigarette smell) but after giving them a go (unamped as I don't have an amp in my office) I could feel their potential!

Now after a few days of running them off my STX, I'm soooo happy with them! for the first time in my life I felt what "velvety bass" feels like (Infected Mushroom - 9%). 
beyersmile.png

It does all kinds of Electronica very well, but I have been really enjoying the chill/ambient sort of music with them (Shpongle, Younger Brother, OTT, that sort of thing)

Like someone else said, they didn't come with valour pads, and I find them generally pretty comfy... I could probably wear them for 2 hours straight, and then have to have a break - but that's the most I managed to stick with any pair of headphones so far, so maybe it's me. They are definitely sitting very comfortably on my head (light), it's the ears getting warm and/or itchy that starts bothering me after a while.

I've been also playing Deus Ex with them, and really enjoying it - although not sure how good the dolby headphones is in that game.

Anyway, thanks LFF (and others) for a great sub $140 recommendation!! Truly good headhones without breaking the bank
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,053 of 2,116
Quote:
[...]
Like someone else said, they didn't come with valour pads, and I find them generally pretty comfy... I could probably wear them for 2 hours straight, and then have to have a break - but that's the most I managed to stick with any pair of headphones so far, so maybe it's me. They are definitely sitting very comfortably on my head (light), it's the ears getting warm and/or itchy that starts bothering me after a while.
[...]

That's usually my problem with closed headphones.  I don't know much about this whole open can thing -- the FA-011s were my first, and it surprised me to find that it just meant "open-backed."  That the ear side of the cup is pretty well sealed.  Might not hold water, but it noticeably muffled ambient noise, and I didn't feel air from my fan moving against my ears anymore.  My second pair, the DT990 Pros, are the same way.  This concerned me at first because most closed circumaurals gave me sweaty ears before long, but it just hasn't been a problem with either of these headphones.  I get a wee bit warm sometimes, but with my old pleather-padded Sonys and such, I would have rivulets of sweat running down my neck after an hour or two.  Perhaps they're not as sealed as they seem, or perhaps the pad material is just a lot more breathable than my old $30-ish circumaurals. Either way, I'm not complaining!

So I'm curious... did you notice a difference between a plain old media player and powering them with your STX?  How does the sound card hold up?

-J

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,054 of 2,116

Quote:
That's usually my problem with closed headphones.  I don't know much about this whole open can thing -- the FA-011s were my first, and it surprised me to find that it just meant "open-backed."  That the ear side of the cup is pretty well sealed.  Might not hold water, but it noticeably muffled ambient noise, and I didn't feel air from my fan moving against my ears anymore.  My second pair, the DT990 Pros, are the same way.  This concerned me at first because most closed circumaurals gave me sweaty ears before long, but it just hasn't been a problem with either of these headphones.  I get a wee bit warm sometimes, but with my old pleather-padded Sonys and such, I would have rivulets of sweat running down my neck after an hour or two.  Perhaps they're not as sealed as they seem, or perhaps the pad material is just a lot more breathable than my old $30-ish circumaurals. Either way, I'm not complaining!

So I'm curious... did you notice a difference between a plain old media player and powering them with your STX?  How does the sound card hold up?

-J

First of all, I wanted to say that I spent the whole day today with them on (with breaks) and they were very comfy overall, for sure the comfiest headphones I own. I remember the feeling I was describing yesterday, but today it just wasn't very noticable. There was still an itch where my ears touch the drivers (why use such itchy material?!) but seriously unless I thought about it consciously I hardly felt it.

In regards to the STX: I could hear a huge improvement in sound quality as soon as I installed it (using my Shure DJ750). I attribute allot of the difference to me switching from Media Monkey 3 (normal audio output) to Foobar with WASAPI plugin (=being able to use a superior audio driver). Media Monkey 3 does not work with WASAPi which was causing the sound coming out of the STX to stutter. Media Monkey 4 (beta) does support WASAPI but I'm encountering other audio issues (I suppose because of it's beta status). It's quite frustrating as I can't find the time to set up Foobar in a comfortable way (read = like Media Monkey). Anyway, everything sound fantastic coming out of the STX, I'm super thrilled with it.
I haven't tried it myself, but I read that in order to switch between on board and STX you need to restart your machine so I haven't tried it (for a direct comparison). What I can say is that at work I still listen to music direct from on-board sound card and the (admittably maybe perceived) difference between my set up at home and my set up at work is making me want to buy a USB DAC for work (just read a great review on the Fiio E10...). Of course the gap between the FA-011 and my work phones (Audio Technica ANC7B) is also an issue, but I feel that at this point it's the sound source that is the weakest link.

I've been experimenting allot with Dolby Headphones (for music) too, and that has been a very confusing area for me (especially in trying to evaluate the STX). Generally the consensus here in HF is to leave DH off for music, however in an AD-900 + STX review posted on Headphonic I read that he really enjoyed music with DH at the recommended driver setting (DH-3). After many hours of trying to decide what I like here is what I came up with:
- No DH is always great!!! (especially with the FA-011 - see below)
- That said, after listening to DH, turning it off makes the music sound "pressed against your ear" - DH supplies an amazing feeling of airiness and space
- DH does distort the music, but in different ways depending on what you are listening to. For example I hate it with fast pumping electronic bass (Fullon PsyTrance), but it can be really nice with some instrumental stuff
- DH-1 was the setting of DH that I liked the most as it provides you the DH soundstage with the least amount of distortion (inaccuracy if you will)
- DH-3 is great for some music as stated above (for example some Shpongle tracks are amazing, you can really hear the whole band, each instrument separate in its own spot of the 3D space around me)
- Didn't find DH-2 useful at all for any music

Now, since I started using the STX with the Shures and then got the FA-011, I was actually using DH quite allot in the beginning with the FA-011. it looks like I like DH better with the Shures which have a closed small soundstage, but with the FA-011 I find myself more and more leaving DH off (turn it on to see what it sounds like and then off again)

I am really loving the way the FA-011 pairs with the STX! Can't say that enough...

I do feel though that the FA-011 have room for improvement with a dedicated amp being fed from the STXs line out.

Phew.. that was a bit of a write up... but ya, that's what I've been up to
beyersmile.png

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,059 of 2,116

Quote:
Lff, Will the mystify amp have good synergy with the fa-011 ? You wrote in your review that the mystify is really good for neutral cans, and fa-011 is not neutral huhu.

In all honesty, the Mystify is a great portable amp and one that works wonders with many headphones...including the FA-011 and my Fostex T50RP's. The reason I felt the Mystify was good for neutral cans was because the Mystify itself has no glaring sonic signature. To me, a good, uncolored source + neutral amp + neutral 'phones =
biggrin.gif

I would still highly recommend the Mystify amp for most any headphone.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,060 of 2,116

Quote:
I might be half blind, but I can't seem to see anything in your post about modding them?

Take off the earpads carefully as it can rip easily on the sides, take out the 4 screws, carefully lift up the driver housing. Inside you see in the middle of the magnet on the driver itself a little opening, using a thumb sized amount of cotton ball ripped off and stuck in dampening it. Another one is to solder another resistor to the current resistor connected between the two wires from the driver and housing. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #1,061 of 2,116
Is it possible to mod (change) the itchy material that covers the drivers? Anyone tried and/or have any idea what sort of material would be suitable and where to find it?

It seems to me that if I can replace that material with a less itchy material without changing its sonic signature, those headphone would be PERFECT (for me anyway)

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #1,062 of 2,116

Quote:
Is it possible to mod (change) the itchy material that covers the drivers? Anyone tried and/or have any idea what sort of material would be suitable and where to find it?

It seems to me that if I can replace that material with a less itchy material without changing its sonic signature, those headphone would be PERFECT (for me anyway)

You can just rip off the foam that sits over the driver with the hole open for the driver. Removing the foam will change the sound quality, I have no idea as to what it would sound like if you replaced it with another dense but non itchy foam material.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,064 of 2,116
I own both the Beyer DT990 Pros and the Fischer FA-011s.  As stated earlier, I find them very similar.  I got my Beyers for about $170 at Amazon, and I'm not sure they're worth the $40 (almost 30%) more that I paid compared to the FA-011s ($138, both shipped prices).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back