REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Sep 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,021 of 2,116

Or the size of our heads 
wink_face.gif
 lol.  But yeah, one mans pleasure may be one mans agony.
Quote:

Sorry to hear about that and the comfort problem. Really speaks volumes as to the individuality of the each human being. I found them to be extremely comfortable.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,022 of 2,116
Sep 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,023 of 2,116
Well my M50s broke this evening. I'm looking into the FA-011s. A couple of questions:

1. How is the build quality? I can't tell from the pictures, but are the pieces that hold each cup to the headband metal? That is what broke in my M50s, so I'm curious.

2. Do you think that a Fiio E11 would be sufficient to run these adequately. I realize, it won't be optimal. I currently use the onboard Realtek audio on the P55 chipset, so would a decent sound card (perhaps a used HT Striker 7.1?) be the better use of my money? My total budget is basically $200 max, so that doesn't leave much for an amp.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #1,025 of 2,116

Quote:
Well my M50s broke this evening. I'm looking into the FA-011s. A couple of questions:

1. How is the build quality? I can't tell from the pictures, but are the pieces that hold each cup to the headband metal? That is what broke in my M50s, so I'm curious.

2. Do you think that a Fiio E11 would be sufficient to run these adequately. I realize, it won't be optimal. I currently use the onboard Realtek audio on the P55 chipset, so would a decent sound card (perhaps a used HT Striker 7.1?) be the better use of my money? My total budget is basically $200 max, so that doesn't leave much for an amp.

My E11's power these can's fine, even with different settings on the amp, I like the warmer, clearer and in-depth added sparkle to the sound from my tube amp's when paired with the FA-011's. 

As for the build quality, I almost ran them over (fell out of the door) the yesterday morning lol, but aside from that, build quality is good, but be careful when your throwing these things around, because you will scuff off the pain or leave scratch marks on the wooden enclosure, which I have done to mine just 3 minor ones and I need to lacquer the whole enclosure or get replacement paint for a touch-up process but   no one knows the color of the paint used on the enclosure.

If your going to use these out of your computer on a daily basis, get a good Creative Xi-fi or Auzentech (from experience Auzentech Forte). If you going to use these more for moving around the house, portability, get the E11, then save up for a high end sound card and a tube amp in this following order.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #1,027 of 2,116
Have you tried bending the two wires outward a bit? Read FischerAudio's post. 

Hi, thanks for your post. Yes, I did see that, it was more ear fatigue - I have now sold them already. (overnight) Will look for something else now. Listening again to the FA-003 whilst replying, and I really like these. Comfort is a major issue for me as I discovered.

Actually sad to see the FA-011s go, as they are astonishing in the sound department. Fischer Audio if you read these posts, make the FA-011s with ultra comfy cushions please!!

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,028 of 2,116
My E11's power these can's fine, even with different settings on the amp, I like the warmer, clearer and in-depth added sparkle to the sound from my tube amp's when paired with the FA-011's. 

As for the build quality, I almost ran them over (fell out of the door) the yesterday morning lol, but aside from that, build quality is good, but be careful when your throwing these things around, because you will scuff off the pain or leave scratch marks on the wooden enclosure, which I have done to mine just 3 minor ones and I need to lacquer the whole enclosure or get replacement paint for a touch-up process but   no one knows the color of the paint used on the enclosure.

If your going to use these out of your computer on a daily basis, get a good Creative Xi-fi or Auzentech (from experience Auzentech Forte). If you going to use these more for moving around the house, portability, get the E11, then save up for a high end sound card and a tube amp in this following order.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll get the E11 for now. Eventually when I can afford to spend money on this crap without digging into my meal plan money I'll likely look into an upgrade. :D

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,029 of 2,116

Quote:
Hi, thanks for your post. Yes, I did see that, it was more ear fatigue - I have now sold them already. (overnight) Will look for something else now. Listening again to the FA-003 whilst replying, and I really like these. Comfort is a major issue for me as I discovered.

Actually sad to see the FA-011s go, as they are astonishing in the sound department. Fischer Audio if you read these posts, make the FA-011s with ultra comfy cushions please!!

Making my own thicker, lambskin leather earpad's as we speak, looks it will take me few shots before I get the actual thing right.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #1,030 of 2,116
Yea, we was trying to find another cushions for quite a some time already, but its not as easy as it looks. Most of the options are ruining sound quality, as many already noticed. And exotic cushions are hard to produce. If we find good solution, we will use it.
Quote:

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #1,031 of 2,116

Quote:
Yea, we was trying to find another cushions for quite a some time already, but its not as easy as it looks. Most of the options are ruining sound quality, as many already noticed. And exotic cushions are hard to produce. If we find good solution, we will use it.

Hey do you happen to know the exact paint color used on the wooden housing? Had couple minor scratches on mine that I'd love to remove with some pairing touch-up paint, and just happen to finished building some Class A amp's, I'm currently in the process of making some wooden enclosure's for the amp, so would love to know what color was used in the fabricating process for these wonderful cans.

Thanks.

P.S: Sent a email to your website and gd audiobase 2 weeks ago, with no luck on replies atm 
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #1,032 of 2,116
Has anyone experienced distortion and/or graniness when the 011's gets pushed to higher volumes or with stuff that has serious bass?  It doesn't have to be ear splitting levels either.  Music that has some serious low end (i.e. Fat Freddy's Drop, "The Big BW") seem to distort bass quite easily when my Arrow is at 70% volume.  Despite my pair being recabled.. I heard it when it was in stock form too.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,033 of 2,116

Quote:
Has anyone experienced distortion and/or graniness when the 011's gets pushed to higher volumes or with stuff that has serious bass?  It doesn't have to be ear splitting levels either.  Music that has some serious low end (i.e. Fat Freddy's Drop, "The Big BW") seem to distort bass quite easily when my Arrow is at 70% volume.  Despite my pair being recabled.. I heard it when it was in stock form too.

Yup! However, I have found that the mastering of the particular album is the one at fault...not the headphones.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #1,034 of 2,116
Thanks for the confirmation, LFF.. being a mastering guru yourself, can you recommend some high quality, well recorded material with a healthy smattering off bass (something electronic, jazz/funk, etc.) I can test with?

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #1,035 of 2,116

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation, LFF.. being a mastering guru yourself, can you recommend some high quality, well recorded material with a healthy smattering off bass (something electronic, jazz/funk, etc.) I can test with?

Sure. If you really want to test bass quality as well as extension, you only need one disc!

The track you want is track no. 3. Only 3...that's right...3 headphones have been able to play that track correctly and accurately. A 4th headphone could dish out the bass but the rest of the spectrum was seriously lacking in quality.

If you want something more forgiving, try this one.

The hard track here is track no. 4. See if your headphones can accurately separate the bass drum hits from the electric bass guitar...in other words, they should not sound similar at all. Not that easy to do it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back