REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jul 27, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #916 of 2,116
how about in terms of standard and quality? Fa-011 is competing with whom? because here in my place, HD-598 is about twice the price of FA-011, and HD-558(M50, AD700 price also) is about 60% more expensive, same price as HD-518. 

so i would like to know which is Fa-011 competing with, both in performance and price. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #917 of 2,116
The 598 can be had from J&R for ~$170 shipped (call them for that price, the price online is much higher).  The 011 is ~$135 shipped from GD-Audiobase... assuming you're shipping both in the/to the US.

I don't understand what you mean by "standard" and quality is a broad term.. build quality/durability? Sound quality (subjective, of course) ?

Disregarding the sound signatures.. the 011 & 598 can be considered direct competitors when overall sound & build quality is considered, IMO.

I can't comment on the other phones you listed since I haven't heard them.  I own both the 598 & 011.  I find them quite complimentary.. and don't regret buying either.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #918 of 2,116
oh, cool, thanks for your advice. my local vendor is bringing fa-011 in, seems like i'll be getting fa-011 then

:D  they are selling in some apple store too, i can audition fa-004, and 003. now waiting for 011 to arrive :) 

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #919 of 2,116

Quote:
I just finished reading tho whole thread
What would you recommend for first pair of Fishers FA001 or 003??
I listen mostly to classical (a lot of opera), jazz, ethnic and much less other genres!
I am also waiting for a Fiio E9i to come the next days.
The rest of the set up: mac mini, prodidy cube (dac-h/p amp) or this wolfson based dac (http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-WM8740-4-0-Wolfson-up-sampling-24bit-192KHz-USB-/220814672339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33699481d3) with the m2tech hiface, AKG240mkII and Grado sr60 phones

i meant FA011

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #920 of 2,116
Hi guys,

Anyone tried to compare the FA-011 and FA-010?

I would like to know the difference in terms of Sound Quality and Sound Signature...  
I understand that 011 is open design while 010 is a closed one, anything else as I see their prices are $20 difference.  the extra bucks, is it just for the accessories?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #921 of 2,116

Quote:
Hi guys,

Anyone tried to compare the FA-011 and FA-010?

I would like to know the difference in terms of Sound Quality and Sound Signature...  
I understand that 011 is open design while 010 is a closed one, anything else as I see their prices are $20 difference.  the extra bucks, is it just for the accessories?

Hi J@CKY!
Well, I can say clearly that FA-010 differs a lot from FA-011. FA-010 was sort of an experiment with making headphones with variable vented construction. There are two holes at the bottom of each cup, that you can seal or keep open. That affects bass and soundstage.
Its a rock-solid construction, you need to try really hard to break it.
Also we experimented with depth of the earpads, you can vary it via swapping additional foam rings under the earpads. Downside here that its still not very comfy.
Sound is pretty balanced, may become bassy with all vent ports open. There are "cold" or "chilly" feeling to them, but they are not bright.
 I feel that 010 sounds ok, and worth their price, especially for people who enjoy modding and such.
 But FA-011 is just, like, more special with fun, engaging and more refined sound.

Good luck!

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #923 of 2,116

Quote:

Hi J@CKY!
Well, I can say clearly that FA-010 differs a lot from FA-011. FA-010 was sort of an experiment with making headphones with variable vented construction. There are two holes at the bottom of each cup, that you can seal or keep open. That affects bass and soundstage.
Its a rock-solid construction, you need to try really hard to break it.
Also we experimented with depth of the earpads, you can vary it via swapping additional foam rings under the earpads. Downside here that its still not very comfy.
Sound is pretty balanced, may become bassy with all vent ports open. There are "cold" or "chilly" feeling to them, but they are not bright.
 I feel that 010 sounds ok, and worth their price, especially for people who enjoy modding and such.
 But FA-011 is just, like, more special with fun, engaging and more refined sound.

Good luck!

Thanks for the brief comparison, I just have a question with the color consistency of the wood enclosures. It started out having a deep reddish brown color which really looked good to being a nearly deep brown or almost black color. Will the darker color remain for the rest of the production run or will there be a chance that the lighter color be brought back?

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #924 of 2,116
Is it a good idea to order from GD-audiobase.com? I am usually wary about ordering items online, especially from other countries.
Has anybody gotten these from gd-audiobase? If so, how long did it take for them to arrive?

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #925 of 2,116
I bought from GD-Audiobase.  I was wary, not because it was from a foreign country (I've bought direct from China a few times), but because I've never heard of the funding service before.  It looks like a competitor to PayPal that you have to use.  It was enough to make me hunt far and wide for an alternative source, but I wasn't able to find one.  So, I bit the bullet, opened an account with them (whoever they are -- can't remember) and took the plunge.

Worked out just fine.  I placed my order at 10:45pm Eastern US time on Sunday, June 26, which would be something like 6:45 to 8:45am (totally guessing) in St. Petersburg, on Monday, June 27.  They entered the Russian postal service on June 29th, and the night of July 5th, I got a note in my mailbox that my signature was kindly requested.  July 6th, I took my lunch break to head into the post office and picked up my very first Russian delivery. 

Total time from order to receipt: 10.5 days, or 7.5 business days, including the .75 days it sat waiting for me at my local post office.

Still quite happy with them :)

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #926 of 2,116
Quote:
Two different animals.  The 011 is the more fun, deep, punchy type for those that like that coloration in the low end.  As you know the 650 is a different target demographic.  Better compared w/ the 003 IMO.

So...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #927 of 2,116
I was pretty amazed by how much the treble settles down after they (extensively) burn in... the treble is still on the brighter side, but it's not piercing like it was at times out of the box..  The bass is simply phenomenal.. I love hearing such an authoritative, punchy, bellowing low-end sans a mind-bass hump.  The bass has also become better textured & slightly tighter.

At times, I did notice some graininess at louder volume levels.. it was more apparent in complex pieces at higher volumes.  I noticed this with the 598 too..so perhaps it has something to do with the open design of the phones?  I experienced more often unamped than amped though, too.  I never heard graininess from the 003, regardless of amping.  The 011 is the most sensitive full sized phone I've heard when it comes to the quality of your source files.  If your music is poorly mastered, ripped at low bitrates, and/or poorly encoded.. this phone will let you know in a very serious way.  This is something LFF emphasized in his review and it needs to be stressed for potential buyers who have less than ideal quality music files.  Some might think these phones suck when in fact, they amplify the flaws in your recordings/rips.

Between the 598, 003, & 011.. I'm pretty happy with the nice arsenal of full sized phones I have for a diverse array of music.  They all get the job done unamped but also take advantage the extra power a good amp can provide if thrown into the equation.

I'm having all three phones recabled right now, so we'll see how that turns out..

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #928 of 2,116
LFF or other FA-011 owner,

I read the review comparing the FA-011 with other full size cans.  Unfortunately, I dun have any big cans and I am considering to get one for my first pair of cans

I am familiar with the IEM's - Fischer's DBA-02 and Senn's IE8.  I like the clarity of of the DBA-02, just a bit lack of bass though.  With the IE8, I now find it too muddy after I switched to DBA-02 for a few months (can't go back now, cannot stand the muddiness of the IE8 with vocal).  However, I also miss the IE8 sometimes as it gives excellent sound stage (in IEM's) and splits and mixes the instruments very well when I listen to classical pieces.  

If comparing the FA-011 to these two IEM's, how different will my experience be?  (in terms of sound signature and sound quality).

I am trying to see if it suits me or not.  Sound signature wise, could I assume it is closer to DBA-02, with more bass and much better sound stage (as any big cans will)? Should I say I won't be getting something as muddy as the IE8 with the FA-011?

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #929 of 2,116

Quote:
LFF or other FA-011 owner,

I read the review comparing the FA-011 with other full size cans.  Unfortunately, I dun have any big cans and I am considering to get one for my first pair of cans

I am familiar with the IEM's - Fischer's DBA-02 and Senn's IE8.  I like the clarity of of the DBA-02, just a bit lack of bass though.  With the IE8, I now find it too muddy after I switched to DBA-02 for a few months (can't go back now, cannot stand the muddiness of the IE8 with vocal).  However, I also miss the IE8 sometimes as it gives excellent sound stage (in IEM's) and splits and mixes the instruments very well when I listen to classical pieces.  

If comparing the FA-011 to these two IEM's, how different will my experience be?  (in terms of sound signature and sound quality).

I am trying to see if it suits me or not.  Sound signature wise, could I assume it is closer to DBA-02, with more bass and much better sound stage (as any big cans will)? Should I say I won't be getting something as muddy as the IE8 with the FA-011?

Thanks!

FA-011 is like the DBA-02 on steroids, particularly in the bass region and soundstage. Mids are liquid and very nice and the high end is a bit more emphasized on the FA-011 than on the DBA-02. IE8, in all honesty, is one of the worst IEM's I have ever heard. If you already have the DBA-02, I feel the FA-011 will compliment it nicely.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #930 of 2,116

Quote:
FA-011 is like the DBA-02 on steroids, particularly in the bass region and soundstage. Mids are liquid and very nice and the high end is a bit more emphasized on the FA-011 than on the DBA-02. IE8, in all honesty, is one of the worst IEM's I have ever heard. If you already have the DBA-02, I feel the FA-011 will compliment it nicely.

Thanks LFF,

In terms of wideness (not sure if this is the right term, sorry) is the FA-011 presents like listening music in a concert hall or like in a small room? (or is this called the soundstage?)

btw, looking forward to your review of the HA-02

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back