REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jun 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #766 of 2,116
Cool.  So many good choices for the savvy shopper who doesn't mind modding.  Never tried the AKG601, it's on my short list, a bit more than the FA-011 on the used market.  FA-011 amped via my Lyr is pretty awesome though.  Lyr + amp is a killer affordable combo.  We need to take the comfort of the HD-598 and combine it with the sound quality of the FA-011.  Hopefully Fischer is paying attention.  I like their sound signature.  We'd pay a little extra for some comfort too, a FA-011 that is full-size.  

Quote:
Haha, well, this is kind of embarrassing. The other headphones are Panasonic's RP-HTX7. They were $30. The sound quality is not necessarily better; I did the tape mod described in one thread and some pretty good equalization to get them to sound good. But heck, I've even got my K601s equalized. And a five-minute mod, plus some equalization, has brought these headphones up to near the sound quality (IMO) of way more expensive headphones. They are the first headphones I've tried to which I would seriously consider giving the title of "Giant Killer." And they kick the pants of the Fischers in terms of comfort. Near sound quality plus far superior comfort equals a sold pair of FA-011s.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #767 of 2,116
I first time felt the comfort issue after using the headphones for 3hrs. My ears became sore. It is not because of the clamp force. It is because how the earlobes gets positioned when wearing them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #768 of 2,116
Well, for me it's definitely the clamping. The pads press on my head too hard, and I know this because the pain is around my ears in a ring shape.

I just put the fa-011's into my fiio e9 and I'm really underwhelmed by the sound, especially the bass. I'm not sure if I'm plugging it in right. I have a male to male 3.5mm jack going from xonar d1 line out to the e9's line in, then the headphones into the big audio jack on the right. That's right, right? Low gain too. The bass didn't really increase that much from when I just had them plugged into the xonar without an amp. The highs and vocals also became really harsh and sharp too.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #769 of 2,116
Fellas.. they've.. arrived...

..at the Post Office!

Apparently, they "tried to deliver" but no one was home (despite me sitting on my couch waiting for the doorbell).. LOL. Oh well, I'll go pick them up from the PO tomorrow.

Fischer Audio : "The anticipation only adds to the experience."

deadhorse.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #770 of 2,116
Spent a few hours listening to my new cans and comparing them to my HFI-580s.  Here's a quick assessment

Highs are slightly more detail but can be harsh and more simbilant than the Ultrasones. 
Mids are slightly more forward than the 580's and over-all smoother and more natural sounding.
Lows have more extension but less quatity and looser.  Also, bleeds into midrange a bit.

I found the Fischers to be slightly more detailed in the mids and highs but the Ultrasones are much better in the low end.  As expected, these guys are more laid back and a bit wider soundstage but I noticed they loose instrument separation when songs get busy.

So far I've enjoyed acoustic rock, classical and jazz more on the Fischers but Ultrasones still out-shine when listening to Electronica, hard rock genres and Hip hop.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #771 of 2,116
I've fixed the clamping so the headaches are a thing of the past! However these are still not comfortable! The angle of cups, the depth of the pad and the actual circumference of the cups needs to increased to make these really comfortable for me. I'm going to have to be imaginative if I want this to happen lol. If I do make it I'll post pictures lol
What I need now is picture of LFF's head with the headphones on. I'm curious as to how he finds these so comfy ??? O.o ???

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #772 of 2,116
These will need some burn-in time. The highs will simmer down. As for the E9, you definitely need these on high gain. Give the bass time to settle in too.

Quote:
Well, for me it's definitely the clamping. The pads press on my head too hard, and I know this because the pain is around my ears in a ring shape.

I just put the fa-011's into my fiio e9 and I'm really underwhelmed by the sound, especially the bass. I'm not sure if I'm plugging it in right. I have a male to male 3.5mm jack going from xonar d1 line out to the e9's line in, then the headphones into the big audio jack on the right. That's right, right? Low gain too. The bass didn't really increase that much from when I just had them plugged into the xonar without an amp. The highs and vocals also became really harsh and sharp too.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #773 of 2,116

Quote:
These will need some burn-in time. The highs will simmer down. As for the E9, you definitely need these on high gain. Give the bass time to settle in too.

Why would I put it on high gain? I read that high gain is only if you can't get enough volume out of headphones that need allot of current. On low gain, 11 o' clock is too much already. I tried it on high gain and I didn't notice a difference.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #774 of 2,116

TwitchBlade, I was told by a sound engineer that headphones 40ohms and under should be used with low gain, and 40ohms or higher used with high gain. I've also read that online somewhere. I'm looking for the site and will provide the link here for you once I've found it. With the higher gain, however, my understanding is that you can get more details and efficiency at a lower volume with headphones that have such a high impedance though the higher gain. Of course, you should listen to it in a manner that most comfortable and satisfying to your ears.
Quote:
Why would I put it on high gain? I read that high gain is only if you can't get enough volume out of headphones that need allot of current. On low gain, 11 o' clock is too much already. I tried it on high gain and I didn't notice a difference.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #775 of 2,116
I remember reading something similar to what Eric has stated.  Also from experience, using my uha-4 with low/high gain, there is a difference with presentation even if I adjust the volume to similar levels between the 2.  It sounds as if higher gain gives more punch/soundstage when used at the same volume level as low gain.

BTW, I also ripped out the inner foam that had the horrible circular cutouts.  Not sure if it made it better/worse but I'm still happy with mine =P.  Plastic touching my ear is def not as irritating =P

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #776 of 2,116
Picked up the FA-011 from the post office a short while ago.. total turnaround from placing the order to delivery was 17 days. The fastest I've received anything from GD-A.  In my parcel was the phones, warranty card/instructions, extension IC, & 1/4" adapter.  The phones arrived in mint condition.. no scratches anywhere on the wood or metal badges.. they possessed no funky odors so I did not receive the limited run, FA-011 "Tobacco Edition" .. 
wink_face.gif

My 011 does not have the foam cut out.  The wood is indeed dark.. and GORGEOUS.  Depending on the light and how closely you look, the deep red/maroon color is distinguishable.. from a distance, the red appears more easily.. up close, they look practically black.. I simply love the look of these..

A word about the comfort: SUPREME. These rival the 598 in terms of overall comfort for me!  Both my ears completely fit inside the pads, leaving the thicker circular pad to sit on the sides of my head.  Clamping force is a non-issue for me and the pressure is again, perfect.. not too tight, but perfectly snug to where I can shake my head violently and they don't move any inch.  The plastic headband that appears to server a stabilizing function across the top of the head is really nice here and is not bothersome at all, practically disappearing after a few minutes of wear  Comfort is just right for me & I couldn't be happier.. lord knows I hate having to adjust a phone every few minutes due to discomfort.. there will be NONE of that with the 011.  I can foresee my ears getting a bit warm (not to be confused with sweaty) if I wore these for three or four straight.. but a relaxing, cozy warmth.  The outer pads material is such that it doesn't cause the area around my ears to sweat or or get itchy.. thanks FA!  I obviously can't speak for others, but LFF was spot freaking ON in terms of description here.. these are sinfully comfortable!

The single-sided, coiled cable is excellent.. identical to the one on the 004.  The extension cord look durable and of good quality.  The jury appears out on their audio quality and/or if they degrade the signal at all.

On to the sound.. unamped, I was able to drive these to slightly above my normal listening levels with the iPhone 4 on full volume.. no distortion or clipping was heard and they sounded VERY good actually.. a testament to the iPhone 4's amp & DAC: pretty damn good for a portable/smart phone combo, imo.  I could see myself listening to them unamped quite often actually.. a good amp does increase the dynamics, cleans up the sound, and provides better overall control so.. insert the Arrow.  With the Arrow in chain, the 011 SINGS.  My impression here are with about an hour of listening so consider them quite premature & remember, these are my opinions..

The treble was a sharp and uncontrolled the first few minutes.. after about an hour, they smoothed out noticeably.  Still sharp.. but these possess some kind of terrific sparkle.  It's on the crisper/brighter side right now and can get a little grainy at very high volumes when amped (Arrow's Gain on II).  I'm venturing a guess this graininess resolves with burn in (similar to what I heard with the 003 out-of-the box).  The treble has good timbre, accuracy, and a lot of energy right now.  With time, I bet they walk a nice line between smooth and crisp/bright.. very impressed here.

The midrange sounds ever so slightly behind the treble and bass.. and I mean ever so slightly.  Those lovely, signature, FA mids though are thankfully there is all their glory.. The midrange sounds neither too warm or too cold, too thick or thin.. simply very natural, balanced, slightly warm, and very musical... awesome.  Timbre is again pretty good.  I love the cohesiveness of the midrange.. instruments have just the right weight and never sound artificially boosted or altered to sound better.  Decay is just right to my ears.. natural and synthetic instruments sound very alive and lively to my ears.. smooth, natural & balanced sounding is, again, the best way to describe it.  Vocals have very good detail and can sound quite dynamic when called on.  I'm definitely impressed with the midrange out of the box and without foam cutouts.  I know the midrange improved quite a bit when I removed the foam covering the driver on my 004 so it's gonna be interesting to see how the 011 sound after the mod.

The heaping praise on the bass is well deserved.  These go deep and have a strong punch.  What I really appreciated was that the midbass hump was for the most part non-existent.. With the GAIN set at 2 on the Arrow, the bass did distort a little when the volume got turned up (to a level a little above my normal listening level).. this might clear up with burn in, we'll see.. but the bass has excellent presence, extension and texture.. I'd say the 003's bass is a little bit better textured (but it's also a closed phone I've redampened).. for an open phone, the 011 has some astonishingly good bass.. must be heard to be appreciated.  I must note that despite such authoritative bass, it does not dominate the sound.. YES!  The weight the bass provides along with the dynamic midrange makes orchestral pieces with bellowing horns and brooding cello work sound incredible.

Switching between the gain settings on the Arrow vs unamped from the iPhone and comparing at the same volume between these configs.. I noticed the distortion primarily when using the Arrow on gain II.. so I'm attributing it to the Arrow's gain implementation more than the 011.  I've always used my Arrow at stock settings (except crossfeed set at I).  The gain at II brought the mids up a noticeable amount and provided clarity there, but it sounds like cutting the foam out does this too..  Listening with the stock Arrow settings, the 011 had a more slightly u shaped sound.  

So far, color me very impressed.  I'm loving every minute of listening to these phones & look forward to hearing how they sound after significant burn in.  They work really well with practically everything I've thrown at them.  They're definitely a keeper in my book!

Fischer Audio knocks another one out of the park!

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #777 of 2,116
^^ very good review FlySweep. I would say enjoy the sound as it is for a week and then do cut the foam. That mod is a must.
Provide your feedback on the comfort after listening to it for 2-3 hrs continuously. That's what tests the comfortness of these headphones. I did the tissue paper mode to improve the comfort. That definitely increased the bass. I countered that by turning down the bass in my amp.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #778 of 2,116
Finally @ FlySweep! Congrats!! Very nice initial impressions!! Can't wait to hear what you think after more burn-in.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #779 of 2,116
Finally @ FlySweep! Congrats!! Very nice initial impressions!! Can't wait to hear what you think after more burn-in.

Thanks bud.. yeah these are simply terrific.. listening to Paul Hardcastle's "Hardcastle VI" album (smooth jazz/electronica).. WHOA. It's like I'm on some other astral plane!  That album sounds well mastered and mixed to me.. and it shows with the 011.. even unamped.  Very dynamic and balanced.

Two more hours in.. and they're only getting better.. I can't rave about the treble on these guys enough.. such sparkle and crispness.. but it never feels artificial or one dimensional.. the midrange again is just awesome.  The bass is so lush and full, yet can be delicate, muted, and very atmospheric when needed.

The well rounded, airy midrange & crisp treble reminded me very much of the 598.. in fact these sound like kindred spirits with the 598 when it comes to presentation.. albeit the 011 have much more bass extension and authority.  The soundstage even rivals the 598.. which is simply amazing.  Where the 598's have a more seductive, delicate overall quality to them.. the 011 has that signature Fischer Audio bite and muscle to them.  I never thought I would think of letting go of my 598.. of all the Senn cans I've heard.. they are my favorite (not necessarily the most technically proficient, but that is of less concern to me when it comes to Senn cans).. the FA-011 is making me think two, three, four times about that thought.

Having these & a more neutral reference-type can like the 003, as LFF, stated could very well be all you need when it comes to full size cans (and you're happy with how they present most genres of music).. 

Queued up next, Electric Wire Hustle.. here we go!

ericp10.. I'm gonna lose it when my quads arrive.. LOL.  Having the 011 now is making the wait a little easier..

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #780 of 2,116
If Fischer has a closed version of the fa-011 then I might give up the m50's for that....FA-06 maybe? lol  These things are my @ home preference while the m50's are my out and about <3's 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back