REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jun 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #751 of 2,116
I went a little overboard with the camera.

Cups look pretty dark huh? This picture was taken without flash, and more accurately represents how they actually look in real life.

That metal plate actually fell off, but it clipped right back on.

Such bad cutouts. I'm wondering if I should make them better by cutting at the third row of circles.

Using flash on the camera makes the red on the cups come out more. However, they don't look like this in real life.

Red shows up more in this one too.

Nice work!

Scratches, scratches everywhere 

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #752 of 2,116
They are dark.  You need to fix those holes.  It's not enough to put holes anywhere, they need to line up properly.  That's ridiculous workmanship on the cut outs.  How hard is it to mark center w/ a piece of chalk and a ruler then use a coin and an exacto knife or something.  Geez.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #753 of 2,116
LOL @ Anax.. Leave that man and his holes alone!! Geez... Actually my holes are much bigger than that, and they sound marvelous. I do, however, have to be careful where I rest them on my ears or the back of my lobes can get a bit tender after a couple of hours. My wood (on the headphones) is a bit lighter than that (about the color of the wood during the flash). Love these phones, but finally got my 1964-Q back (needed a little work and remoulding). So the FA-011 is going to fall back some to the quad. Best headphone I've ever heard (for my taste that is).

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #754 of 2,116
Wow that is dark! Mine aren't that dark, but they turn more towards the purple than the burgandy and I have NO scratches! But yeah my cut outs are just as ridiculously bad as yours lol.
Still in love with the bass on these babies! Damn my ear drums and atlas are in heaven lol ^^

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #755 of 2,116

Quote:
IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!

will report back in 100 hours :p

Back on topic....

Those cups sure are dark....way darker than mine. I'm glad you guys are enjoying these. I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #756 of 2,116
Mmmm LFF... I'm curious... have you ever tried a pair of sony MDR-F1s? If not then I recommend you do! Not for sound quality, not that they're awful or anything, but for the price there is better out there, but comfort wise I think it will give you a better idea or what ultimate comfort and fluffiness is all about. As much as I enjoy the sound on these I will refrain from recommending them to people with good size noggins and big ears :p

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #757 of 2,116

Quote:

lol..nice.

Anyone tried to equalize them? I am trying to use the equalize tutorial . It sounds greek and latin to me
blink.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #758 of 2,116
Mine are about that dark, yes.  I can barely tell that they aren't black if I look hard enough under a light.

Also, are those the new metal bands?  Yours look just engraved, but mine is filled in with blank (paint?) where the engraved areas are.  O_O

Do earlobes rub against the metal with the cutout?

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #760 of 2,116

Quote:
Mmmm LFF... I'm curious... have you ever tried a pair of sony MDR-F1s? If not then I recommend you do! Not for sound quality, not that they're awful or anything, but for the price there is better out there, but comfort wise I think it will give you a better idea or what ultimate comfort and fluffiness is all about. As much as I enjoy the sound on these I will refrain from recommending them to people with good size noggins and big ears :p

Easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #761 of 2,116

Quote:
Mine are about that dark, yes.  I can barely tell that they aren't black if I look hard enough under a light.

Also, are those the new metal bands?  Yours look just engraved, but mine is filled in with blank (paint?) where the engraved areas are.  O_O

Do earlobes rub against the metal with the cutout?

I actually have no idea whether or not these are the new bands. Idk, maybe these pictures can help you determine.

They definitely don't look like they have any ink/paint in the engravings. If they look fuzzy to you, it's not the camera, the actually look like that. Mine were not done really well at all.

My ears don't touch this area, if that's the place you're talking about. I don't think the hole is big enough. My ears do touch the outer padding though, and since it's not very soft, it doesn't feel too great. Also, I just touched the cut out area and it's definitely plastic. Not metal.

For anybody who asked about the whole ad700 thing, yes, I will definitely compare the two in more detail once I can get some good time in with them. I play with what is left of the competitive crowd for Unreal Tournament 3 and Cod 4, so those will be the games I'll primarily comment on the positioning with. 

In a partial response to bunit, yes, I do use dolby headphone for the ad700, but I haven't tried it for the fa-011's yet. With the ad700's, I just thought dolby headphone made positioning in gaming a little bit more easy to understand, but it didn't necessarily improve it too drastically, maybe a little. The best way I could describe dolby headphone, at least with the ad700, is that it sounds like being inside a small spherical room with speakers on your sides, on top, below, behind, and in front. So direction of sounds just make make a little bit more sense as to where they are actually coming from. Stereo with the ad700 is not really worse for positioning in games, it just takes some getting used to. With dolby headphone, it just makes sense right away because it sounds like the sound is coming from speakers outside your head. It makes music extremely bad though, and the ad700 is bad for music to begin with. Terrible midrange. Right off the bat, even without an amplifier, the fa-011's are orders of magnitude better for music than the ad700's. Not sure about games yet, but I'll test that soon.

Just don't get the turtle beaches, they were terrible for everything imo. The positioning in games, although slightly improved from my speakers(z2300's, garbage), was really bad on the clarity. You could hear where people were, but you had no idea where they were headed or what they were doing(running, jumping, reloading, crouching, etc), because the sound clarity was so bad. Don't even get me started on how bad they were for music. Just stick to stereo headphones dude, they're much better. Years back I used to have those trashy tritton ax 51 pro's, and those were just as worthless. All gaming headphones stink, bottom line. The ad700's were worlds better for positioning in games than anything I've ever used. We'll have to see about the fa-011's.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #762 of 2,116
Just got mine in two weeks and a day from order, not bad.  Cups are damn near black, even under light but I don't mind.  Looks a little cheaper than the red but I like the Raider color scheme.

Running some pink noise until I can get them home and on an amp.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #763 of 2,116
I decided, in the end, to sell the FA-011s.  Comfort is one issue, as is the fact that I found another pair of headphones I prefer in terms of sound quality.  The sale thread is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557674/fischer-audio-fa-011

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #764 of 2,116
What was the other headphone?  Same price range?  Just curious.

Quote:
I decided, in the end, to sell the FA-011s.  Comfort is one issue, as is the fact that I found another pair of headphones I prefer in terms of sound quality.  The sale thread is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557674/fischer-audio-fa-011

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #765 of 2,116
Haha, well, this is kind of embarrassing. The other headphones are Panasonic's RP-HTX7. They were $30. The sound quality is not necessarily better; I did the tape mod described in one thread and some pretty good equalization to get them to sound good. But heck, I've even got my K601s equalized. And a five-minute mod, plus some equalization, has brought these headphones up to near the sound quality (IMO) of way more expensive headphones. They are the first headphones I've tried to which I would seriously consider giving the title of "Giant Killer." And they kick the pants of the Fischers in terms of comfort. Near sound quality plus far superior comfort equals a sold pair of FA-011s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back