REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jun 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #736 of 2,116
Yeah earcup depth I'm going to have to work on, gonna be a bit of trial and error, but it won't be till I've burned them in. Don't want to mess up the sound quality before I even know what it is lol!

Yeah I don't know how many know the KISS method, but it's an essential to all DIYers! Kids always remember to KISS if you want to avoid FUBAR situations!

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #737 of 2,116
Well, I finally got them today! I never received a tracking number or any email passed the "shipped" email, but I still got'em! I haven't used them long enough to say much about the sound or comfort, but here it goes.

First off, I owned a pair of turtle beach hpa2's like a year ago - I'm mentioning this because the fa-011's use the same headband and metal mesh on the back - and the fa-011's are WAY less comfortable, for me at least. The only headphones I currently own besides these are ad700's, and the fa-011's cups are also alot smaller by comparison. The top and bottom of my ears stick out a little, although this doesn't really bother me. The absolute worst part about the comfort is that they're super tight on my head. My head isn't even big in width, and these still hurt when I have them on. My ad700's barely fit me and these still hurt; these headphones are just really small. The hpa2's, although they did clamp pretty hard, the fa-011's clamp even harder somehow. I bet it's probably because the cups are wider. The pads on these are pretty firm too, which makes them even less comfortable. One thing people do with the hpa2  to help with the clamping force is to put them on your pc case or on something else of similar width. My pc case is about 7 1/2" wide, so maybe something like that. On a less relevant note, the cup is almost exactly 3" in diameter. Just thought I'd let you guys know. This method of stretching them out worked really well for the hpa2, so it should work with these. It takes a few weeks though.

I listened to a handful of songs in FLAC format through my pc which has an asus xonar d1, and I've got to say, I'm impressed. I was waiting for these to come in first before I ordered an amp, so I ordered my fiio e9 today, and it should be here by wednesday. Even without any amplification these sound much better than my ad700's in every way. The first thing I noticed was that the mids did not suck like they did with the ad700's. The vocals are not only much clearer, but they are louder and with NO sibilance. This really surprised me. I thought there would be at least some sibilance, because that's what a few people have said, but I've heard none thus far. The vocals seem too smooth on these to have much sibilance. Which is surprising because I don't even have a dedicated amp for them yet. Guitars were also worlds better with these. I'm not going to fully judge the bass, since everything I've said thus far are just my thoughts from about half an hour of use. The bass was obviously better than the ad700s right away, that's all I'll say. As for the highs, well, I guess I'm just too big of a noob to tell a difference in highs, it all sounds the same to me. I'm sorry about that. I don't just want to say something about the highs because I've talked about the other ranges. I don't really know how to listen for it. 

A few last words: When I opened the box I noticed something right away, the wooden cups were REALLY dark. If I'd never seen other peoples pictures of them, I would assume that they were black. They're that dark on mine, much darker than LFF's. I can't even see the wood grains on these. Not even a hue of red on them. If I can get ahold of my friend who has a nice camera, I'll definitely take some pictures and show you guys. One more thing, that metal plate on the cup with the fischer logo fell off when I took it out of the box. I just put it back on though, no biggy. 

That's all for now. I'll get back to you guys once I've put a decent amount of hours into them. Especially with an amp.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #741 of 2,116
Is it the shallow cups or the clamping force? For me, the initial clamping force was too much for my head size, but after I pulled the cups apart and stretched the headband, these instantly became one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

If your problem is the former, you can try stuffing the cups with rolled tissue papers to raise the earpads.

And yes... the bass is so amazing I cream myself sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'm tempted to sell them due to the comfort, but dang it!  That bass is so seductive!

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #742 of 2,116
In my case it's both. Clamping like stated earlier I've fixed by increasing the angle of the two supporting headbands. Earcup depth though is another altogether and I won't be tampering with it until I've broken them in. This might affect the sound and I don't to until I have a stable reference point to compare.
Then I'll raise the pads with rolled tissue paper. Definitly not BIG headphones.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #743 of 2,116
Twitch and I have similar set ups from the looks of.  Looks like we are both gamers first and somehow became audio oriented while at it.  I have the HPA2 and these 2 are like brothers.  It does get pretty comfortable once the clenching stops, the ear cup depth stopped being a problem once that happened =)

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #744 of 2,116
The clamping is not really a problem for me. May be my head size fits well..My G35 and HD280's clamp force is way higher than FA-011. In some ways, i like headphones with some clamp force.  Yeah, the earcups are shallow and not the most comfortable one. I am yet to try the tissue paper mod. But, all these discomforts disappear once i turn on my HA-02 to fire these cans.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #745 of 2,116
That's the thing I can't take any clamping gives me serious migraines and to boot it off my head's as wide as the damn box these earphones came in lol
I'll let you guess what the setup looks like when I have them on :p

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #746 of 2,116

Quote:
Well, I finally got them today! I never received a tracking number or any email passed the "shipped" email, but I still got'em! I haven't used them long enough to say much about the sound or comfort, but here it goes.

First off, I owned a pair of turtle beach hpa2's like a year ago - I'm mentioning this because the fa-011's use the same headband and metal mesh on the back - and the fa-011's are WAY less comfortable, for me at least. The only headphones I currently own besides these are ad700's, and the fa-011's cups are also alot smaller by comparison. The top and bottom of my ears stick out a little, although this doesn't really bother me. The absolute worst part about the comfort is that they're super tight on my head. My head isn't even big in width, and these still hurt when I have them on. My ad700's barely fit me and these still hurt; these headphones are just really small. The hpa2's, although they did clamp pretty hard, the fa-011's clamp even harder somehow. I bet it's probably because the cups are wider. The pads on these are pretty firm too, which makes them even less comfortable. One thing people do with the hpa2  to help with the clamping force is to put them on your pc case or on something else of similar width. My pc case is about 7 1/2" wide, so maybe something like that. On a less relevant note, the cup is almost exactly 3" in diameter. Just thought I'd let you guys know. This method of stretching them out worked really well for the hpa2, so it should work with these. It takes a few weeks though.

I listened to a handful of songs in FLAC format through my pc which has an asus xonar d1, and I've got to say, I'm impressed. I was waiting for these to come in first before I ordered an amp, so I ordered my fiio e9 today, and it should be here by wednesday. Even without any amplification these sound much better than my ad700's in every way. The first thing I noticed was that the mids did not suck like they did with the ad700's. The vocals are not only much clearer, but they are louder and with NO sibilance. This really surprised me. I thought there would be at least some sibilance, because that's what a few people have said, but I've heard none thus far. The vocals seem too smooth on these to have much sibilance. Which is surprising because I don't even have a dedicated amp for them yet. Guitars were also worlds better with these. I'm not going to fully judge the bass, since everything I've said thus far are just my thoughts from about half an hour of use. The bass was obviously better than the ad700s right away, that's all I'll say. As for the highs, well, I guess I'm just too big of a noob to tell a difference in highs, it all sounds the same to me. I'm sorry about that. I don't just want to say something about the highs because I've talked about the other ranges. I don't really know how to listen for it. 

A few last words: When I opened the box I noticed something right away, the wooden cups were REALLY dark. If I'd never seen other peoples pictures of them, I would assume that they were black. They're that dark on mine, much darker than LFF's. I can't even see the wood grains on these. Not even a hue of red on them. If I can get ahold of my friend who has a nice camera, I'll definitely take some pictures and show you guys. One more thing, that metal plate on the cup with the fischer logo fell off when I took it out of the box. I just put it back on though, no biggy. 

That's all for now. I'll get back to you guys once I've put a decent amount of hours into them. Especially with an amp.

How do these compare to the AD700s in terms of gaming (detail/positioning/immersion/etc)?  I noticed that you have a Xonar so I'm assuming that you use Dolby Headphone, right?  How do the FA-011s measure up to the AD700s/turtle beaches?

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #747 of 2,116
Selling my pair in the FS section, I really do like them, but my HF2's are just superior and I can't justify multiple pairs of expensive headphones. Anyway, if anyone is looking to get a pair quickly, they are 120$ plus shipping.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #749 of 2,116

Quote:
Selling my pair in the FS section, I really do like them, but my HF2's are just superior and I can't justify multiple pairs of expensive headphones. Anyway, if anyone is looking to get a pair quickly, they are 120$ plus shipping.

Interesting..i rank the FA-011 really close to SE530. The mids are little bit less sweet than them. But, you can't compare the Bass and treble extension. Ah yes..if you don't have good amp, you can't justify FA-011. My Xonar STX card also drive these really well.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #750 of 2,116

Quote:
Is it the shallow cups or the clamping force? For me, the initial clamping force was too much for my head size, but after I pulled the cups apart and stretched the headband, these instantly became one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

If your problem is the former, you can try stuffing the cups with rolled tissue papers to raise the earpads.

And yes... the bass is so amazing I cream myself sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Shallow cups.  I tried the earpad stuffing, but it didn't work very well.  Negligible increase in comfort, IMO, and it made the bass too strong.  Maybe I did it wrong.  At any rate, I think I will keep them, just because they SOUND SO GOOD.  Might try stretching them more over one of my speakers (which is roughly the width of my head, conveniently enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back