REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Apr 24, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #407 of 2,116
No udac2 (although I have the original udac and should test it). I've been running it exclusively out of the Fiio E7/E9. And because of this I have to disagree with my head-fi brother Anax about bass quality. I think the bass quality is outstanding, deep and tight! The E9 also seem to calm the treble down some now with about 20 hours (or more) of burn-in. I think this amp/dac unit puts a bit warmth to the headphones.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #408 of 2,116

Quote:
No udac2 (although I have the original udac and should test it). I've been running it exclusively out of the Fiio E7/E9. And because of this I have to disagree with my head-fi brother Anax about bass quality. I think the bass quality is outstanding, deep and tight! The E9 also seem to calm the treble down some now with about 20 hours (or more) of burn-in. I think this amp/dac unit puts a bit warmth to the headphones.

Did i say something was wrong w/ the bass quality?  It's the best part of the phone.  It's just not the best I've heard.  Nothing in my sig is the best bass quality I've heard.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #409 of 2,116

Quote:
Did i say something was wrong w/ the bass quality?  It's the best part of the phone.  It's just not the best I've heard.  Nothing in my sig is the best bass quality I've heard.

I see @ Anaxilus. I just think it's one of the best I've heard in a headphone quality-wise. Granted, I haven't heard in audiophile headphones pass the D2000 in an over $300 price range. I have never heard a $500 (or higher)  headphone, so those might be better. Of course, I've heard expensive IEMs, and I think the FA011 holds it's on in quality and quantity (I think the quality of the 1964-Q is better for example, but I'm not sure about the quality of the FX700 - I think the FA011 and the JVC are close to tying in quality). But no, you didn't say anything was wrong with the quality.....

But what is the best bass you've heard in quality @ Anaxilus? I am just curious. Thanks sir.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #410 of 2,116
How badly do these need an amp to perform to their potential?  Could anybody who has these running with normally with a dedicated amp try them straight out of an unamped source? (ipod, soundcard, etc)  And comment on the difference.
I"m wondering if something like an Essence STX or the upcoming FiiO e11 would suffice (or no amp at all), thats why.  Since these are ~$100 phones, hopefully they don't need a huge investment in an amp to better cement their value for the budget head-fiers out there.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #411 of 2,116
They are 160 ohms, so yes, they need to be amped... The E11 - based on what I read about it - would be perfect! Now, I have just plugged them in - at your request - in my ipod touch (4th generation). I have the volume all the way up and they sound okay (it sounds like I have the volume halfway up on IEMs/headphones will way lower ohms. These perform best amped, but it's tolerable connected to an ipod unamped, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
How badly do these need an amp to perform to their potential?  Could anybody who has these running with normally with a dedicated amp try them straight out of an unamped source? (ipod, soundcard, etc)  And comment on the difference.
I"m wondering if something like an Essence STX or the upcoming FiiO e11 would suffice (or no amp at all), thats why.  Since these are ~$100 phones, hopefully they don't need a huge investment in an amp to better cement their value for the budget head-fiers out there.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #413 of 2,116
Indeed, head-fi is a slippery slope.  I was originally going to get MS1's for $100 shipped...then I saw these, and they sounded too good for $118.  Okay, so $118, but then another $20 for shipping...sure.  Now, I need to get an amp also, which I probably wouldn't have gotten with the MS1. 

I have an X-Fi Prelude, so I'm hoping that an E11 with the sound card will offer superior quality than an E7 dac/amp combo.  However, I really want to try a tube amp...and my best bet seems to be a Little Dot I+ for ~$100 or MKII for ~$130...then I have to factor in tube rolling...so basically $200-$300 when I originally planned to spend only $100.  And then, there's the mixamp, since Dolby Headphone is interesting for gaming...

"Sorry for your wallet" indeed.  :D  I'm not on a "budget" per se, but I am always looking for good value.  If there's a significant difference in sound quality, I'm willing to pay for it.  I've never had an amp before, so any advice would be appreciated.  :D

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #414 of 2,116
Quote:
Did you check to make sure there is no hair resting against the diaphragm?

Considering I have very little hair (I practically shave my hair).... I highly doubt this would be the problem, lol.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #416 of 2,116
Umm...did you post this in the wrong thread?  Are you talking about the FA-002w and FA-003 rather than the FA-011?

Quote:
Did some A/Bing this evening between the wood cups & the stock ones (which I hadn't switched back to since getting the woodies).. I noticed the wood cups took me back a few feet in terms of soundstage.  With the stock cups, the sound felt more forward and actually a bit more accurate in terms of imaging.  With the wood cups, the timbre of the low & mids seemed better rounded, the bass tightened a tad, and became a little more airy.. but the treble lost some of the sizzle & bite I like so much.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #420 of 2,116

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you check to make sure there is no hair resting against the diaphragm?

Considering I have very little hair (I practically shave my hair).... I highly doubt this would be the problem, lol.

There could be if they're pre-owned
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back