Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Sep 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,936 of 3,047

Quote:
^ No problemo 
biggrin.gif

supercomfy and nice looking
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f0/f0f70c07_3d5eb2d2_100_1214.jpeg
http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/89/89c12243_9ddb29ae_100_1216.jpeg

couldnt find them in the GB website but I did found that they sell the wood cups 
tongue_smile.gif

Looks nice and comfy on those headphones.

Those wood cups are awesome.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,937 of 3,047
Finally got my grubby mitts on these puppies.  They were pretty much the only (reasonably priced) headphones I was still interested in trying.  First impressions:  good clarity and impact.  Great soundstage, and *very* good instrument separation.  From what I remember, they remind me of the HD 600s, if they were magically closed.  Might report back later with regard to KNS-8400 vs. these.  So far, so good!

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,938 of 3,047
Nice, Marximus.. let those suckers burn in for at least fifty hours.. they change, trust me.  I mentioned my thoughts on how they stack up on your 8400 thread.. and quite favorably, IMO.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,939 of 3,047
I bought them used (but still in excellent condition).  The seller stated they had roughly 100 hours on them.  Roger that RE:  the comparison.  They do have more bass impact and depth than the 8400s, but they're still incredibly well extended in the treble department.  I don't think anyone could go wrong with either headphone. Or rather, I don't think anyone could go wrong with owning both
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,940 of 3,047
I bought them used (but still in excellent condition).  The seller stated they had roughly 100 hours on them.  Roger that RE:  the comparison.  They do have more bass impact and depth than the 8400s, but they're still incredibly well extended in the treble department.  I don't think anyone could go wrong with either headphone. Or rather, I don't think anyone could go wrong with owning both
biggrin.gif

Another happy FA-003 user.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,942 of 3,047

Quote:
Color me *very* impressed.  Everything in its place.  These are world-class.

Very happy to read this. I've been saying the same thing for over a year!!!!!

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,943 of 3,047
And yet...I still really like the 8400s.  They're both very good headphones, and IMHO are very similar in terms of sound signature; the FA-003s are a little warmer, and their midrange is...different.  It's difficult to explain.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #1,944 of 3,047
And yet...I still really like the 8400s.  They're both very good headphones, and IMHO are very similar in terms of sound signature; the FA-003s are a little warmer, and their midrange is...different.  It's difficult to explain.

I've been trying to grasp the differences too.. from what i can tell, the 003's midrange is a little more aggressive.  Both phones have a slightly mid-forward sound, but 8400 goes about it more politely.  The 8400's midrange isn't as spacious sounding as the 003's.  The 8400 affords a little better instrument separation but how it presents the midrange reminds me more of a typical "studio monitor" that the 003 does.  The KNS might be a little more accurate there, but it's not as musical as the 003's midrange.

The 8400's treble offers more sparkle, air, and crispness while the 003's treble makes "smoothness" it's trademark.  The 8400 presents bass in more of a stereotypical "studio monitor" like fashion (controlled, tight, limited in impact) that the 003.. which has more punch & presence.

This isn't to say one is inherently better than the other, merely two slightly different takes on the general "studio-monitor" approach.. and why both phones can peacefully coexist.  When I want to relish in the microdetails, I grab the 8400.. when I want a highly detailed sound wrapped in a slightly more musical, laid back approach.. the 003 is sought.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #1,945 of 3,047
I enjoy my 003s alot even after getting the LCD2s. I actually prefer them to the 002w because of the more treble presence in stock cups. The 003s do have a slight treble spike though. especially obvious in bad quality mp3s for some reason. I want to try modding them to remove the treble spike but at the same time im worried that doing so will make the cans lose their treble quality (i have limited descriptive vocabulary :/)

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,946 of 3,047
What are the opinions of this thread's inhabitants about the FA003 vs HD 600?  Is it a clear upgrade?  Specifically I would be looking for more soundstage, imaging, and technical ability without sacrificing speed.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,947 of 3,047
The KNS8400 kill many headphones in the mid-range department, including the HD600. Better instrument separation AND musicality, in a sense that certain musical cues of a track become much more apparent. Pitch articulation is key with these headphones, but I would never recommend them as a mastering headphone, due to their imbalance, but they would greatly serve a musician of any kind. I read on some pro-audio site that someone had trouble hearing whether an instrument is in tune on headphones in general, but not so with the 8400.
Can someone comment on this factor regarding the FA003? Kind of a priority for me :) Otherwise from the look of it, they are quite promising. Tempted to try out, since not even the 8400 is perfect...

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,948 of 3,047
If I had to describe the midrange differences (and to be honest, I'm not even sure that after all this time I know exactly what midrange is...) between the two, I might say the Fischers are slightly dry, whereas the 8400s are more liquidy and...midrangey.  The FA-003s have excellent punch and good soundstage and spreadoutness (all these words are real), whereas the 8400s put everything more in front of you, but it is very good.  It actually kind of bothers me because I can't think of one being superior to the other.  I'm trying to think of one that I might sell (were I to sell one) but I can't right now.  They're both awesome.  I can't recall ever having two pairs of headphones at one time where I had difficulty saying, "These are better than those."  I'll be doing some more A/Bing today.  One thing I did notice is that the 8400s are hungrier.  I have the Fischers at about 8:30 on my receiver, but the 8400s are about 9:30, for roughly the same volume.  YMMV.

Ooh, post 777!

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,949 of 3,047
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, none of those adjectives refer to good pitch articulation...  But I found myself listening to the 8400 at fatiguing levels due to their treble pierciness (not sure if that's a word 
normal_smile .gif
). The mid-range is very articulate in every sense, but laid back compared to some bass-frequencies and the slightest bit too loud "hi-hat frequency". What I mean in practice, is that I need to boost the volume a bit to hear some vocal or brass cues, even to the point of the treble becoming fatiguing. This is why I would never call the 8400 mid-range oriented, in balance, but they do shine there. Never had this problem with my K272HD, but the 8400 are so much better in many ways it's hard to go back
blink.gif

Hey, nice post count btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back