Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jul 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,698 of 3,047
The wood cups are really incredible! I tried the phone w/ the plastic cups for about 2 weeks then switched up to wood: it's just so much better.

Again, anyone tried amping the FAs?

I currently have like 400 hours burn-in and I feel like they really changed from the beginning

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,699 of 3,047
Your response makes me want to buy the wooden cups.  Poor wallet needs some breathing time.

In regards to amping I've used them with a Ipod->LOD->Fiio E11 and Computer->USB->maverick D1.  I feel like the sound is much better on the Desktop rig.  I have not done any blind testing, however, I may once I get an S/PDIF-out cable (I've read that the USB of the D1 is weak relative to the rest of the inputs).

I don't feel like I've noticed any burn difference.  I'm ordering some dynamat right now, hopefully I'll have some impressions on that in a week or two.
Quote:
The wood cups are really incredible! I tried the phone w/ the plastic cups for about 2 weeks then switched up to wood: it's just so much better.

I currently have like 400 hours burn-in and I feel like they really changed from the beginning

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,700 of 3,047
I'm actually quite surprised how much DIY is going w/ these.  I personally find them some of the best sounding out of the box headphones I've heard but if you can tweak them a bit why not I guess.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,701 of 3,047

Quote:

Netbook - U-Dac2 (DAC only) - Little Dot MKIII (Tung Sol 6ak5w black plates) - FA-002W

Smooth, airy/spacious, enough detail for my listening needs. No rush to upgrade here.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,702 of 3,047
Just installed some dynamat xtreme in both of the cups.

Initial impressions are that the soundstage has been slightly improved by giving the impression of a more 180° arc as opposed to the more 3 blob stock soundstage.  I also find myself cranking the volume up a few more notches than normal which I suspect is the smoothing out of that upper mid spike.

My dynamat had that foil layer on top.  I tried to remove this layer but it resisted heavily.  Instinct tells me this foil may result in some higher frequency reverberations.  In a week or two I may try putting the stock felt back in over the dynamat layer and see what that does (similar to the dynamat acoustic foam layering T50RP modders worship).

I also noticed that there was a foam blob directly behind the driver.  Experience with grado modding makes me want to replace this foam with more massy material like dynamat for more bass impact.  Has anyone tried this?

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,703 of 3,047
For those that have been comparing these with the HD598, how do the mids compare?

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,704 of 3,047
003's mids are more natural/warm, a bit smoother, more detailed, and carry more weight vs the 598's crisper, almost wispy midrange.  The 598 has arguably more "musical sounding" mids..

To me.. it's less about one phone being better than the other.. simply two different signatures.. I love 'em both and they certainly can share a place in the same inventory.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,706 of 3,047
Nice picture!

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #1,707 of 3,047
The FA-003: one word: MAGICAL.
Don't listen t othem during burning in period. Or maybe you should.....At start they sound not bad. After 10-20 hrs they sound bad and flat.
After 50-70 hrs they just open up. Copper sound like copper. Voices are fantastic. Bass is humble and you can just hear the fingers touching the wires.
Indeed if the recording is bad, you will notice immediately. 
Due to their natural character you will not get tired listening to them as you do with headphones with too much bass present.
From Tom Waits to Shirley Horn and from there to RickyLee Jones and ending up at Keith Jarret, it's just magical. That is the old stuff, I know.
New stuff like Spirit of Eden (Talk Talk) where you will hear very strange instruments (after that CD their label didn't want to work anymore with them....) Sound stage is just amazing. 

Ordering advice: Strange enough it helps if you leave a message behind at FA Facebook account, telling them that you are interested but can't order them. They will notify you.
Ordering process still via GD audio who still have their Christmas trees up at their website. I received mine in about one week! (UK) Well packed.
You can't go bad.
Pity they only pack a 3 meter cord. Would have been nice if they also added a smaller version. Maybe I need to start DIY again :)
Enjoy the listening!

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,710 of 3,047
I just heard my FA-003s on the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA and several other tube amps.

What. Huge improvement over an already awesome phone!  If you like more warmth to your sound, consider a nice tube amp and the FA-003s bloom really well.  Soundstage and positioning also improves!

By the way... the FA-003s were called a "big surprise" by Vinnie of RWA, who said they were really nice for $200, amidst a room full of LCD-2s and HD800s :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back