Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jan 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #528 of 3,047

Quote:
Quote:
smallfish, how's the FA-003 compared to the DT880? I'm thinking of getting those as my next headphones eventually as I start getting a better source for home use.

IMO, FA-003s and HD650s indeed share similar sound signature. Generally, DT880s are in a sightly higher league than FA-003 are. If you have proper amps, DT880 600 ohm will be better than Fa-003 in terms of vocals and soundstage.

However, according to my friend's description (he owns DT880 600 ohm, HD650 and fa-003 wood cans), he said that the wood cups bring FA-003s into a higher level, especially when you listen to female voice. The female voice from FA-003 wood cans are very enjoyable. Thus, he consider FA-003 wood cans, DT880 600 ohm and HD650 are in the same league. And now he prefers FA-003 wood cans to DT880 600 ohm....So, I am also planning to buy a pair of wood cups.

But one thing should be noticed is that DT880 600 ohm and HD650s have more potential when you feed them with proper or more expensive amps. FA-003s can sound great without amps. IMO, I only owns DACport and I think DT800 600 ohm are sightly better than FA-003s, but FA-003 wood cans MAYBE sound more enjoyable than DT880 600 ohm (sometime I feel DT880 600 ohm just sound too rational <~~ does this word makes sense?).

(English is not my first language so please forgive my poor explanation
o2smile.gif
)

There's no problems with your English. The same can't be said for some native English speakers so your English is fine.

Which cups does your friend have? I'm looking at getting those down the line since the one I want is not the $50 since I like the other one better (can't remember which). Also would you say that the FA-003 and DT880/600 is different enough where one would be able to enjoy them both or are they too similar where it's more or less the some?

The FA-003 being easy to drive is one of the main reasons I got it as well as it suiting my sound signature as I don't have anything other than a transportable dac/amp right now. That will change in the next couple of months so hopefully then I'll add another headphone and looking at which one that is.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #531 of 3,047
A question about the woodies. On the page gd-audiobase website, there are drying times listed with all the wood cups. What happens when the wood drys out? Will the sound improve or do you need to get new cups to replace the dried cups? And are there any reviews as to what how each type of wood (beech vs alder) will affect sound?

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #532 of 3,047
I doubt there's a need for more than one or that anyone has more than one.

Also I was under the assumption that the aging and drying and all of that is done before shipping the cups to buyers.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #533 of 3,047

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
smallfish, how's the FA-003 compared to the DT880? I'm thinking of getting those as my next headphones eventually as I start getting a better source for home use.

IMO, FA-003s and HD650s indeed share similar sound signature. Generally, DT880s are in a sightly higher league than FA-003 are. If you have proper amps, DT880 600 ohm will be better than Fa-003 in terms of vocals and soundstage.

However, according to my friend's description (he owns DT880 600 ohm, HD650 and fa-003 wood cans), he said that the wood cups bring FA-003s into a higher level, especially when you listen to female voice. The female voice from FA-003 wood cans are very enjoyable. Thus, he consider FA-003 wood cans, DT880 600 ohm and HD650 are in the same league. And now he prefers FA-003 wood cans to DT880 600 ohm....So, I am also planning to buy a pair of wood cups.

But one thing should be noticed is that DT880 600 ohm and HD650s have more potential when you feed them with proper or more expensive amps. FA-003s can sound great without amps. IMO, I only owns DACport and I think DT800 600 ohm are sightly better than FA-003s, but FA-003 wood cans MAYBE sound more enjoyable than DT880 600 ohm (sometime I feel DT880 600 ohm just sound too rational <~~ does this word makes sense?).

(English is not my first language so please forgive my poor explanation
o2smile.gif
)

There's no problems with your English. The same can't be said for some native English speakers so your English is fine.

Which cups does your friend have? I'm looking at getting those down the line since the one I want is not the $50 since I like the other one better (can't remember which). Also would you say that the FA-003 and DT880/600 is different enough where one would be able to enjoy them both or are they too similar where it's more or less the some?

The FA-003 being easy to drive is one of the main reasons I got it as well as it suiting my sound signature as I don't have anything other than a transportable dac/amp right now. That will change in the next couple of months so hopefully then I'll add another headphone and looking at which one that is.

Thanks.

The one he owns are LBR cups with 5 stepped amphitheaters. http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I am not sure whether there is misinformation of LBR steps at this website, but my friend indeed got the five, not three, stepped amphitheaters.

He thinks that the wood cups with 5 stepped amphitheaters do improve the sound, so now he is considering to buy the cups with 8 stepped amphitheaters to see if the sound could be upgraded again
dt880smile.png

As for DT880 600 ohm and Fa-003, I think they are the cans which have totally different features, such as sound signature, vocals, etc.  Thus, I enjoy them both. Honestly, I feel the sound signature of Fa-003s are more like HD650s'. They have quite closely similar presentation of vocals. Yet, I don't mean they are in the same league. HD650s do great job in every aspect, like classical music, but Fa-003s, IMO, are not quite good enough in this type of music.

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #534 of 3,047
Another quick update.. the bass, actually the lower frequencies as a whole, have really developed nicely.  The bass frequencies have excellent extension, definition and impact... the layering is incredible.

For the impact they carry, I'm amazed by how tight and defined the bass is.  The balance between quickness & decay is terrific.  I would be completely satisfied if they've settled now and didn't change, in fact.  Something tell me they'll continue to get better though.

Currently, they're on the warmer side of neutral.. slightly.. but that doesn't muffle the detail through the mid range, upper midrange, and treble, which is VERY impressive (like DBA impressive).  Also, they have a that signature FA, mid-forward sound (but this could be more apparent b/c of my 3GS's DAC.. which is by default, a bit mid-forward).  Vocals (male & female) are lush, tonally very accurate and quite detailed.  The 003s seem equally wet & dry through the midrange.. which is really the first time I've heard such balance in a phone.  Very nice.

The slight warmth-lean is what gives the DBA an edge in clarity and airiness over the 003.. at the moment, of course (but the 003 has the DBA lapped in other areas too).  Since my 50 hr breakdown, they've continued to improve noticeably.  Acoustic guitars & horns in particular sound absolutely terrific.. every minute part of a strum, pick, and horn vamp can be heard with amazing detail & clarity  (Mofro has been a real treat to listen to).  Drums have a terrific crunch to them..

Despite the slight warmth, I was pleasantly surprised with the degree of treble sparkle.  The treble extends to the edges of my hearing.. the upper-most frequencies continue to articulate and balance out as the mid-forward sound settles.

These are getting to the point where they're pretty much even with the DBA's mid & upper range performance.  They share the well-textured, detailed bass characteristics w/ the DBA, but as the DBAs drop off around 100hz, the 003s have much more presence, power, and extend deeper.  I think the instrument layering is better on the 003s too.  This should be all DBA lovers need to hear who were on the fence about the 003's bass.  Still, I can't get over just how wonderfully neutral these cans are though.. it hits you right away after they've burned in for a fair amount if time.  But despite being so neutral, they're very very engaging to listen to.  After listening to these for a few hours, then switching to another set of cans/iem's, the coloration of those phones will be immediately apparent.

As I continue to run through my music collection, I've continue to find these are VERY unforgiving phones.  I mentioned this before.. but I feel it needs to be stated again b/c, inevitably, someone will say they sound like utter crap cause they're running 160Kbps MP3s through them.  I wouldn't try anything under 256 with these if one wants an accurate presentation of what the 003 is capable of.  Lossless to 320Kbps MP3s (and hopefully well mastered & mixed) will absolutely SHINE on the 003s.  You're ears will sing, dammit!  So, audition accordingly.. more impressions to come with my Arrow.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #535 of 3,047
At home ill with flu. Listening to the FA-003 via usb, Fiio E7/E9 to my Macbook. Just simply blown away again. These cans just are so musical and full of energy, precision, timing and seem to be getting better and better the more I use them, except they are so good.  Just have playing the Bangles - Eternal Flame and the instruments are so well isolated and produced, along with the female vocals. Presentation is awesome as is the seperation.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #536 of 3,047
Flysweep, you're gonna make my wallet lonely!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #537 of 3,047
As others have said, the more time I spend with the FA-003s, the better they become. Sadly, the build quality does not live up to their sound signature; one of the discs is slightly detached from the cup (been this way since arrival, but too minor to report or deal with another twenty days for), the cups do not feely fully secured to the band, and they sometimes feel a little too loose.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #538 of 3,047
I'm pretty new to the headphone world and wanted to ask head-fi opinions before buying anything...
So I mainly listen to classical, rock, indie, pop music... and my budget is under $200 Canadian (I live in Canada), so those FA-003 enter perfectly in my budget since I will be ordering from Canada (from Budgen Audio) (are they worth $200?)

So should I go with them or one of those "overrated" headphones, such as the M50 (that cannot be found in Canada), AD700, etc...

So.. if you guys could help me with that I would be very grateful!

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #540 of 3,047

Quote:
I'm pretty new to the headphone world and wanted to ask head-fi opinions before buying anything...
So I mainly listen to classical, rock, indie, pop music... and my budget is under $200 Canadian (I live in Canada), so those FA-003 enter perfectly in my budget since I will be ordering from Canada (from Budgen Audio) (are they worth $200?)

So should I go with them or one of those "overrated" headphones, such as the M50 (that cannot be found in Canada), AD700, etc...

So.. if you guys could help me with that I would be very grateful!

You can get M50 in Canada from Moog Audio or Long & McQuade. It costs $200 in both stores I think. But at that price, FA-003 will be a much better deal. M50 is a decent headphone, but it is no match for FA-003. FA-003 will suit all those listed genres very well, but I would suggest that you also get a decent amp for them. Unamped, FA-003 is still fine, but can be lacking bass a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back