Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Oct 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #241 of 3,047
Much better, very comfy. 

Quote:
Just a note - the ear caps are removable.

What did you say about the caps? 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #242 of 3,047

never mind. ordered Fischer
thanks for help
wink.gif

Quote:
Hi guys and gals. I'm a headphone newbie so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question.
I am looking for a good headphones to listen mostly at work in the office. Fischer sounds really great. Initially I was looking at noise cancelling ones but I'm not sure how useful they are for office noise,
Anybody has an idea how would FA-003 compare to Audio Technica AH-ANC7 or Sennheiser PXC450 sound quality wise? Would I lose a lot in isolating external noises like people talking if I opt for Fischer?

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #243 of 3,047
Sergit , hope you will enjoy them =) I don't know which genres of music you like but for me , everything is nice with my 003. I just bought Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card to drive it , and it sounds even better now =D 

The bass is deeper , more punchy ; the feeling of "space" becomes more and the output of the card is very clean and everything sounds a lot more detailed to me now. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #244 of 3,047

I now reversed the pads so that the rubber is on the inside, and the stretchy nylon stuff is on the outside on my ears (the opposite of this pic). I prefer the nylon, because its softer and it sounds better (warmer). I think the explanation for the warmer sound is because I am getting better seal around my ears. The rubber was a little hard/tight and so was't as conforming. Of course I still have the slight amount of foam underneath for comfort, the sound is also preferable over no foam. So far, I really like the modded pads. I had planned to buy an MSPRO as a companion to the FA003, but these modded pads are great fun for rock genre (etc.), so I am going to hold off buying any other headphones for awhile.

EDIT

I remembered I have a pic of the underside, though in the pic it doesn't have the plastic disc inserted so its not tight, and it doesn't have the foam underneath yet either. Looks better after put together, but it still has that torn up edge which doesn't look as neat as the rubber side. Oh well. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #245 of 3,047
Been skimming thread, just a quick question. How is the comfort on these? I've tried the SHR840s but they the weight/clamping was a big annoyance.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #246 of 3,047

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #247 of 3,047
Would also love some feedback on sound vs. SHR840s. I've heard that the two are similar, but that the FA-003s are slightly better. I'm basically looking to do a lateral from the Shures for the same price ($200 roughly) while keeping or improving sound, and definitely improving comfort.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #248 of 3,047

Quote:
Would also love some feedback on sound vs. SHR840s. I've heard that the two are similar, but that the FA-003s are slightly better. I'm basically looking to do a lateral from the Shures for the same price ($200 roughly) while keeping or improving sound, and definitely improving comfort.

I'd bet my money on the FA-003.

Basically I preferred my DBA-02's over my SRH840. I found the SRH840 sound while detailed pretty boring.

According to many the FA-003 sound like the DBA's. The DBA's have fantastic mids and great transparency; the fact the FA-003 should have much better bass make them sound like a fantastic headphone.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #249 of 3,047

Sounds good. The FA-003s are actually $25 cheaper than the SHR840s for me as well. I'm probably returning the 840s either way tomorrow, but it sounds like the FA-003s might be a nice option without increasing my budget. Would still love to hear some feedback on comfort.

Also, how do they look in real life? The pictures seem to make them look sort of bland, but it could just be the short supply of high quality pictures for these phones.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #250 of 3,047

Quote:

My twin brother owns SRH840's, and I used his for a couple of weeks. Here are my thoughts. The sound signatures are somewhat similar, but the Fischers have better bass (more extended and controlled). The kicker for me is that the SHH840's have a slightly steely high end if you use them for classical music. The Fischers do not exhibit this problem. The mids are pretty comparable from memory. The Fischers sound somewhat more open, with a larger soundstage. Neither of these phones touch my AKG K501's in this department though, so that is a relative statement. In terms of midrange coloration, the Fischers I think may be slightly more colored (less neutral) than the Shures. I will be loaning my Fischers to my brother pretty soon, and I will try to get his thoughts on them. He uses a Gilmore Dynahi amp for his, while I use a tube amp for mine.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #251 of 3,047

Quote:

Basically I preferred my DBA-02's over my SRH840. I found the SRH840 sound while detailed pretty boring.

x2  840 better than the HD555 by a decent margin though.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #252 of 3,047
Sounds like they would be a nice substitute for the SHR840s, assuming they are more comfortable.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #253 of 3,047

Quote:

Sounds good. The FA-003s are actually $25 cheaper than the SHR840s for me as well. I'm probably returning the 840s either way tomorrow, but it sounds like the FA-003s might be a nice option without increasing my budget. Would still love to hear some feedback on comfort.

Also, how do they look in real life? The pictures seem to make them look sort of bland, but it could just be the short supply of high quality pictures for these phones.

The comfort is excellent. They are lightweight, and the ear pads are soft and leave lots of room for your ears to not touch the driver housing (I guess it depends on the person though). Headband is soft. Also the headphones feel durable enough so that you can relax while wearing them.

How do they look in real life? Better than expected. The dark plastic is somewhat soft looking, as well as somewhat soft feeling to the touch. The metal/plastic cup covers look nice too. I wouldn't say the FA003 looks expensive, but I wouldn't call them cheap looking for the price. If you have seen the thread about the new FA002/FA003 accessory wood cups, then you know that these headphones can look very expensive, and be expensive at the same time.

Sorry about my low quality pics I've posted in this thread, but I only have the camera on my Droid. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #254 of 3,047
Sounds good. Think I'll order a pair once I return my SHR840s tomorrow.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #255 of 3,047
What about the weight of FA002 or FA003 ? i want to buy one of these cans but i must to know about the weight before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back