Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
May 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #46 of 3,047
My friend's. Took around 7 days from our order date to arrive from Saint Petersburg over to the UK. No VAT.

Please don't ask me to describe the sound, because I am not any good at it. I can only say that I like it. :о)

May 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #48 of 3,047
Sweet! Glad to hear that you liked them! 
biggrin.gif

They are my current favorite can when I am at home or the studio.

The DBA-02's are still in my portable rig.

May 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 3,047
Some news...
FA will represent spare parts and upgrade parts:

Quote:
"Cups 002 separately will appear on a trace. As it will be possible to get and a cable, and a bit later, in a month approximately, also a twisted cable, additional earpads from velour and, even, headband (if someone else manages to break them)."
"earpads the reduced depth of 18 mm against present 28 mm further are expected. Further wooden universal covers for 002 and 003. And. Covers from... artificial marble... A little heavy, of course, but the result impresses. That is it in general."

May 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #50 of 3,047
And more...

Quote:
"
Cable (as defolt) -
Cable twisted 3,25м -
Earpads -  rub/steams (depending on type)
Cups in gathering (complete case, drivers) - (only opened, how FA-002)
Headband -
Covers of cups (wood) - (not cheap for become here, small parties, from not cheap breeds of a wood (there will be 2 types))
Dampening overlays under covers (genuine leather) - (the offer unexpected, but, believe,it change sounding of the FA 002 (the best way) significantly. In my opinion,they leave 003 far behind. Brightness leaves away, sounding becomes exclusively comfortable and soft. The bottom register is to appear.  All conclusions did on hearing, selecting materials, conjuring with a thickness etc., etc. to Argue with anybody I will not be. I consider so, I have the right to the opinion. If it is not right - make better.
Covers from artificial marble (NOT ON THE BASIS OF PLASTER! This marble do not suit ) - But it will be not fast - only the form manufacture is on now.
It is all for a while...
And, has forgotten... Covers for cups opened + Dampening overlays - . It is for persons interested to transform 003 to 002 within 5 minutes. And to experiment with dampening etc."

May 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #51 of 3,047
I am honestly debating between these and the DBA-02 for use in my "portable" and at the library...the size doesn't really bother me, as I'm always carrying my laptop anyway. I just prefer over-ear because of comfort...the only true advantage of the DBA-02 or any IEM for that matter would be on the plane...and I don't travel often...

On the other hand, I could get the DBA-02 made into customs...which would be awesome as I could say I own customs...

Two opposite sides of the spectrum, I know...probably will use this with a Fuze/Mini3, and either Headstage USB Stick/Mini3, uDAC/Mini3, Fiio E7...decisions, decisions...

May 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 3,047

Quote:
I am honestly debating between these and the DBA-02 for use in my "portable" and at the library...the size doesn't really bother me, as I'm always carrying my laptop anyway. I just prefer over-ear because of comfort...the only true advantage of the DBA-02 or any IEM for that matter would be on the plane...and I don't travel often...

On the other hand, I could get the DBA-02 made into customs...which would be awesome as I could say I own customs...

Two opposite sides of the spectrum, I know...probably will use this with a Fuze/Mini3, and either Headstage USB Stick/Mini3, uDAC/Mini3, Fiio E7...decisions, decisions...

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. If I had to choose only one, I have no idea which one I would get. They are both awesome. It would really come down to your personal use and preference.

May 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #53 of 3,047

Quote:

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. If I had to choose only one, I have no idea which one I would get. They are both awesome. It would really come down to your personal use and preference.

Right now I'm leaning towards the FA-003, because I will be without a desktop setup for at least a few months, and I don't think I could tolerate using the IEMs as my sole headphones for that long of a time. If the FA-003 can be driven to decent levels by a portable amp, then I think I'll end up with those...I can't afford the Shadow or anything like that, but hopefully a Mini^3 can do it some justice...

Thanks for the reply, LFF, I think over the past few weeks I've asked you about the DBA-02/FA-003 several times, your advice is much appreciated!

May 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #54 of 3,047

Quote:
Right now I'm leaning towards the FA-003, because I will be without a desktop setup for at least a few months, and I don't think I could tolerate using the IEMs as my sole headphones for that long of a time. If the FA-003 can be driven to decent levels by a portable amp, then I think I'll end up with those...I can't afford the Shadow or anything like that, but hopefully a Mini^3 can do it some justice...

Thanks for the reply, LFF, I think over the past few weeks I've asked you about the DBA-02/FA-003 several times, your advice is much appreciated!

Arrgghh! That is a tough choice. If I were in your situation I would also be leaning towards the FA-003. It's currently the headphones that spends the most time on my desk being used, both for personal and mastering use. I guess a nice compromise would be to get the FA-003's and the SBA-01's or the Enigma's.
wink_face.gif
Then again, you could get the FA-003's and save up for the DBA-02's later. Having so many great choices, especially from one company, is fun!
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #55 of 3,047
Blerg....I think that last scenario makes the most sense right now. I can buy the FA-003, and then save up over the next few months for the DBA-02 + Custom molds. They are apparently almost out of stock anyway, so I'd likely have to wait for another shipment, which could take a few months. I guess I'm about ready to pull the trigger, but I have a feeling I'll have a debate regarding this decision over the next few weeks...ugh, I'm so indecisive......

May 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #56 of 3,047

Quote:

Arrgghh! That is a tough choice. If I were in your situation I would also be leaning towards the FA-003. It's currently the headphones that spends the most time on my desk being used, both for personal and mastering use.

So you like them more than the Grados I saw in your profile?

May 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #58 of 3,047

Quote:

Quote:
I'm going to jump in and say that he doesn't, because if he does, then the world might just fall apart
eek.gif

Don't mean to put you on the spot LFF......but I'd love to hear/read your thoughts on this matter as well.

May 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #59 of 3,047

Quote:

No - it's not a matter of liking them more. It's more a matter of preferences due to surrounding circumstances. The Grado HP-2's I own are among my top favorites. I am just using the FA-003's a lot more - they have great sound and are much more comfortable than the heavy HP-2's. Based on sound alone, it's like wine that is aged and rare vs. wine that is readily available but expensive. Both are great but one day I prefer one over the other depending on venue and mood. I save using my HP-2's for when I can sit back with some wine and enjoy some of my finer recordings ALONE and with total quiet. The FA-003's I use all the time when my conditions aren't as optimal. I can honestly say that I enjoy both headphones immensely.

I had a fellow audiophile over today and he commented that the FA-003's looked cheap but sounded like world class headphones. He estimated that based on sound alone, he would pay $1,000...maybe $1,200 but due to the looks, he would pay no more than $500.
biggrin.gif
  This is coming from a guy whose opinion I really trust too. Interestingly enough, he didn't care for the open version but was enamored by the sound of the FA-003's. Based on the actual pricing and the sound, I don't see how anyone could complain about the FA-003's.

So is the world going to fall apart?

PS - I actually do like the HP-2's more but I can't replace those too easily or that cheaply.
tongue_smile.gif
Hence....special occasions only.

May 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #60 of 3,047
LFF, you will be at CanJam?
If so, can you make sure that they get measured on Tyll's equipment? I've seen some measurements on a Russian site, but I would like to see more (some square waves)
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back