Review: Fiio E7
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #436 of 548

Quote:

Further improvements going along the lines you mentioned above. The M50 is not a headphone that benefits much from amping but the ones you mentioned above geometrically increase with the E9. In addition to a few more changes.. E9 is a great amp, makes the mids a lot more liquid and effortless compared to the E7. The congestion disappears slightly, becoming a bit more open, but it's not a drastic change.

I was curious about this. There seems to be a consensus that the e7 is a bit warm. I have a700's which tend to be a bit warm on their own, and I was worried about some bad synergy there. This didn't seem to bother the op though. I was thinking the E9 would solve that problem, any other thoughts about this? Do you think the warmness is mostly from the DAC or the amp in the E7? I'm afraid of spending the extra for the combo from Micca's if all the E9 does is make it louder with any real SQ changes (volume is almost certainly not a concern).

Oh, and speaking of making it louder...would the E9 be too loud for efficient cans or IEMs? If its designed for high-impedence and people are listening to things like hd650's on the low gain setting I'm afraid it'l be too loud, or else I'll have to keep the amp so far out of its "sweet-spot" (which I read somewhere was around 9-11 o'clock) that it wont reach its potential. I tend to listen to things much quieter than many other people I've met (I like having good hearing and I have hp's on nearly all day).

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #437 of 548
hey guys, i got my e7 hooked up to my ipad via the camera connection kit and it worked amazingly the first time i plugged it in, crisp highs and amazing lows on my akg's.  But i hooked it up today and it will not work at all, i have tried everything.  I have usb charge off and have followed every procedure in the little guide book to no avail.  It is not the camera kit because i plugged my camera in via usb with the supplied usb cable from fiio and everything uploaded which led me to believe that it is not the connection kit or the usb cable.  The e7 works fine with the l3 line out kit so what is the deal with this thing.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #438 of 548
ok well even though the usb charge is off it still shows the lightning bolt next to the off sign is this supposed to look like this?

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #439 of 548
Hi

Can you try connecting it to a computer and see if the E7 works that way? 

The little lighting bolt will show up even though charging has been turned off, so that's correct.

Jack

May 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #440 of 548
hi guys looking to buy an amp right around this price for my sennheiser IE8, it doesnt need amplifying however anything that will give me that extra detail and quality is worth it for me, i already have the E5 and well it does fill out the bass but gets messy with high volume, would you guys recommend this E7 for me?

if there is something similarly priced that will suit these higher sensitivity IEM's better please lead the way, something easy to purchase in the UK would also be an advantage.

i should point out the only real problems i have with the setup is im using a cowon D2 which in my opinion falls off in the bass frequencies alot, the IE8 are trying to kick the lows out but the D2 isnt providing them, ofcourse with the D2 there is no other output besides the crappy headphone out, any solutions for me guys, thanks for the help.

May 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #441 of 548

Quote:
Hi

Can you try connecting it to a computer and see if the E7 works that way? 

The little lighting bolt will show up even though charging has been turned off, so that's correct.

Jack

ill give that a shot later tonight and report back.  Thanks

May 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #442 of 548
Well just plugged the e7 into my work computer running windows XP and selected it in the device manager and its a no go, i think the dac portion of my e7 may be dead, because it will charge through the usb port but will not play music through it, and like i said in my above post i used the camera kit to download pics with the supplied Fiio usb cable and with another so it cant be either of those.  Luckily i purchased it through a authorized retailer(micca) so hopefully i can get a new one because this thing is amazing with the l3 connected to my ipad.

May 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #443 of 548
Hey,

If it doesn't work connected to a computer either, then we need to get it exchanged.  Contact our support email and we'll get this taken care of.

Jack

May 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #444 of 548

Quote:
hi guys looking to buy an amp right around this price for my sennheiser IE8, it doesnt need amplifying however anything that will give me that extra detail and quality is worth it for me, i already have the E5 and well it does fill out the bass but gets messy with high volume, would you guys recommend this E7 for me?

if there is something similarly priced that will suit these higher sensitivity IEM's better please lead the way, something easy to purchase in the UK would also be an advantage.

i should point out the only real problems i have with the setup is im using a cowon D2 which in my opinion falls off in the bass frequencies alot, the IE8 are trying to kick the lows out but the D2 isnt providing them, ofcourse with the D2 there is no other output besides the crappy headphone out, any solutions for me guys, thanks for the help.

If you're only looking for a portable amp, I wouldn't recommend the E7 - it's a DAC/amp, so it costs more than a simple amp would.  If you wanted something nice and cheap, you could wait for the Fiio E11, which should be coming out in a few more weeks to a month - it's a dedicated portable amp and will cost around $60.

May 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #445 of 548
Hey Jack, thanks for the help.  I went home and plugged it into my home computer via the USB and it worked amazingly well.  So i thought to myself ok what the heck why is it still not working on my ipad.  So what i had to do was go into my ipad settings and reset all settings and voila it worked.  Thanks for your quick responses, i am loving this thing!

May 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #447 of 548
Hi all!

Just bought a pair of Denon d2000s.  They are my first decent headphones.  They sound pretty good out of my Macbook's headphone out, but I'll always be wondering how they'll sound amped if I don't try it.  I don't have much of a budget, so about a hundred bucks is it.

I haven't seen much discussion in this thread of the Denon line with the E7.  Anyone have this combo?  Would it be a significant improvement on the Macbook headphone jack?  Any other cheap portable amp that might be better suited?

Thanks for any advice.

May 4, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #448 of 548

e7/e9 showed up today. Super happy with it, I still can't get over how much better it sounds than my crappy little turtle beach. It's like having whole new headphones. Base is more present and cleaner, much better separation and the mids have come forward slightly which is sorely needed on my a700's. My source is no longer the bottle-neck of my system. Now I have my eye's on some thunderpants! DIY ftw.

btw: If anyone read my question earlier I seem to have answered it. The warmth of the amp/dac does not have any negative synergy with my a700's, this is a huge improvement in essentially every facet of sq. Also volume is not an issue, although I will say that even out of the 3.5mm jack and low-gain mode comfortable listening level is at or below 9 o'clock which was stated as the "sweet spot" for the E9, this is something like 15 out of the E7.

Oh and k bright, I heard the D2000's once and in my opinion they sounded very much like the a700's just better in every way. So perhaps you will have a similar experience as I've had. And to anyone with a Macbook(pro) your headphone jack sucks, this will without any doubt be a significant improvement. To my ears it is night and day on noise-floor alone, not to mention clarity,impact,soundstage,range,volume.....

May 4, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #449 of 548
Well I ordered one, since my laptop needs both a DAC and an amp.
It should be more than enough for the Superlux HD668b, right? I might pair it with RE0 too at some point. 

May 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #450 of 548

Quote:

Oh and k bright, I heard the D2000's once and in my opinion they sounded very much like the a700's just better in every way. So perhaps you will have a similar experience as I've had. And to anyone with a Macbook(pro) your headphone jack sucks, this will without any doubt be a significant improvement. To my ears it is night and day on noise-floor alone, not to mention clarity,impact,soundstage,range,volume.....

Thanks for the input.  I keep hearing about noise issues with the Macbook headphone out, and I don't hear it.  I can crank the volume all the way up and I hear nothing.  I also tried some straight up sine wave bass out of Logic (music software), and it sounds clean to me.  Does there have to be music playing to hear it?  When do you notice it most?

As for clarity, impact, soundstage, etc. I'll just have to wait until I have an amp so I can compare.  I think it's a safe assumption that this forum isn't populated with crazy people, so I should hear a decent difference in sound quality.  I'm certainly enjoying my D2000s right now, though.  SO much better than my old Sony mdr-v600s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back