[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Aug 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #61 of 122

Quote:
What does size have to do with it? You're not filling a whole room with air or pushing air from outside of your ear, you're pushing a very tiny amount of air since they are in your ear and isolating the outside sound. If you don't use an amp, then that's a different problem which has nothing to do with the number of drivers.  

I listen to PFEs as well with an amp, and they handle anything that I throw at them with 1 tiny driver right next to the ear. 

That is true. Dynamic driver IEMs that have bigger drivers can move more air however; hence the Senn IE8 having LARGE amounts of bass. It is true that you can have strong, deep bass from an armature IEM (JH 16 custom, W3, etc.) but can it show you the visceral punch that dynamic driver iems show? 

It is true that you are pushing a small amount of air into your ear but the actual amount can change the prominence of the bass drastically. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #63 of 122
Now you are talking about full frequency response. I was referring to a single driver being able to handle complex passages or large scale works without falling apart. I agree that there are benefits to having more drivers (quantity not size), but one driver can handle complex music was my argument. Do you agree with that? 

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #65 of 122

Quote:
 I agree that there are benefits to having more drivers (quantity not size), but one driver can handle complex music was my argument. Do you agree with that? 

I do. The ER4Ss handled very complex classical music with ease and I loved them when I had them. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #66 of 122

Quote:

beerchug.gif
 we were arguing two different things. Are you still liking the W3s? Any JHA or JH13/16s in your future? I still question whether they are worth the ridiculous price jump. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #67 of 122

Quote:

beerchug.gif
 we were arguing two different things. Are you still liking the W3s? Any JHA or JH13/16s in your future? I still question whether they are worth the ridiculous price jump. 

Yes, I do use the W3 often...just spent time with them mowing. I really like the fit and look with W3. I use PFE most nights for sleep due to their high comfort level and detail at low volume.

I don't think that I'll ever jump to customs but if I did, I'd do it right with a JHA. My listening at home is speakers & full size cans nearly 50/50% of the time and I'm just too satisfied with my current collection of universals for mobile listening. I recently compared my Ortofon e-Q7 to my T1 and was surprised at how well they held up in the mids detail although the soundstage couldn't come close.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #68 of 122
ER4 is the most accurate IEM I've ever heard. The timbre accuracy in the mids is astonishing IMO. Detail and clarity are superb. Speed is insane - these can hold their own against orthodynamics IMO. Bass is the best I've heard an any headphone - super deep, super tight and not at all lacking IMO. I can listen to trance music with no EQ and love it. Highs are great - extended, refined and sparkling. Soundstage is very good - pin point imaging and superb stereo separation. Dynamics are excellent. PRAT is great. Can't think of a single fault with this IEM, other than that it may be too revealing to use with crappy sources and music files.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #69 of 122
Given how much you like RE0, I have no doubt you will love ER4. It is just a shame to see the recent price rise on ER4 which makes it a much less attractive buy.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #70 of 122
Quote:
Given how much you like RE0, I have no doubt you will love ER4. It is just a shame to see the recent price rise on ER4 which makes it a much less attractive buy.

Yes, that's a shame. But personally, I would still buy it even if it cost $500 or more lol But that's because that is exactly the sound signature and the combination of technicalities I am looking for.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #71 of 122
The street price is slowly creeping down -- the ER4P is $243 on Amazon.com today and several for $245 on eBay.  Still a good bit from the previous $179.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #73 of 122

Quote:
I was wondering, how is the upper bass on these?

It is okay. Great speed and impact, but not a lot in quantity. If you want the best of both world (*ER4 clarity with bass), I'll suggest a small bass boost amp. A digiZoid ZO can do wonder with ER4.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #74 of 122
Thanks ClieOS.

I'll order the ER4P next week (that's when I have the money to buy them lol), do you think if i buy the P-to-S adapter, the ZO would do the job as an amplifier? 

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #75 of 122

Quote:
Thanks ClieOS.

I'll order the ER4P next week (that's when I have the money to buy them lol), do you think if i buy the P-to-S adapter, the ZO would do the job as an amplifier? 

Sure, why not? I use my ER4S with ZO from time to time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back