Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #121 of 416

Thanks for the link - useful and interesting. I can't quite decide between CSP2+ and Zstage. The more expensive CSP might be justified if I use the T1 more.

Interesting comments about tweaking the levels on both ZStage and Torii to manipulate the sound (body etc). I bet this would work equally well with Taboo.

Any comments Frank?
Quote:

I'm even considering adding either zstage or zbox to my system. Seems to get great reviews also: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1288548883

zstage appears to be a best of both worlds being a tube buffer/gain/preamp, I'm thinking maybe I should get that and be done with it.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #122 of 416

Quote:
Thanks for the link - useful and interesting. I can't quite decide between CSP2+ and Zstage. The more expensive CSP might be justified if I use the T1 more.

Interesting comments about tweaking the levels on both ZStage and Torii to manipulate the sound (body etc). I bet this would work equally well with Taboo.

Any comments Frank?

You should check with Steve deckert. The CSP2 is a full blown preamp with a sub out also. It also is a world class headphone amp for the T1 I have found no better and have listened to lots of other amps but the CSP2 really is a world beater for me and makes my taboo so much better.I can see using the Zstage if you had an older source  that you wanted to liven up. It a tube buffer not a preamp and thus for me I see no reason to use it in my system. I am pretty satisifed with my SA8004 and really enjoy it as is.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #125 of 416
This is a very informative thread.  Im in the market for a new amp to power my LCD-2 that I brought from a member here.  Still in transit as of now.  The taboo is one of the few amp i've considered in the less than 1500.00 range.  Have other owners of taboo compared it to similar priced amps?  As of now im using a bottlehead crack and hd650.  I guess the crack is too weak to drive the lcd-2 hence i need a new amp.  Other amps i've considered are the Corvina, B22, AudioGD Master 6, and woo wa6-se. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #126 of 416

Quote:
This is a very informative thread.  Im in the market for a new amp to power my LCD-2 that I brought from a member here.  Still in transit as of now.  The taboo is one of the few amp i've considered in the less than 1500.00 range.  Have other owners of taboo compared it to similar priced amps?  As of now im using a bottlehead crack and hd650.  I guess the crack is too weak to drive the lcd-2 hence i need a new amp.  Other amps i've considered are the Corvina, B22, AudioGD Master 6, and woo wa6-se. 

The taboo was designed with the LCD2 as I have the first with the headphone amp that I asked Steve to do and its a very good amp for the LCD2. I am using the hE500 and it clearly better on the Taboo than the V200 and HR2 amps I have in house now. But I also use the CSP2 to drive the Taboo so i a preamp/speaker amp  setup that makes a big difference in performance but some users here using it as a stanalone also with the LCD2

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #127 of 416
When my refund comes in i'll sell my Lyr and try the damn taboo out.  The noise and fuzz of the GE tubes are starting to drive me crazy with the lyr and the JJ tubes are a bit bland even if quiet.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #128 of 416

YMMV of course but I think you may find that "damn taboo" quite a step up. I haven't done a detailed direct comparison yet, but it makes the Lyr seem artificial - bright lights and glitz - and that's even with the Matsu 6922s I'm fond of. Don't get me wrong; I still respect Lyr but Taboo functions on a different plane with a high level of performance all-round.

Still early weeks but the damn thing hasn't yet stopped getting better...

Quote:
When my refund comes in i'll sell my Lyr and try the damn taboo out.  The noise and fuzz of the GE tubes are starting to drive me crazy with the lyr and the JJ tubes are a bit bland even if quiet.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #129 of 416
Frank just one thing - I thought the Zstage is a preamp (albeit only one input and no selector) and the Zbox is the buffer. Have I got that wrong?

(Edit: Regardless, Pale Rider could tell us how well Zstage matches with Taboo but not sure he/she logs in to head-fi much these days)
Quote:
You should check with Steve deckert. The CSP2 is a full blown preamp with a sub out also. It also is a world class headphone amp for the T1 I have found no better and have listened to lots of other amps but the CSP2 really is a world beater for me and makes my taboo so much better.I can see using the Zstage if you had an older source  that you wanted to liven up. It a tube buffer not a preamp and thus for me I see no reason to use it in my system. I am pretty satisifed with my SA8004 and really enjoy it as is.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #130 of 416
From their website: 

The ZSTAGE is a single-ended triode stereo gain stage operating in class A with no negative feedback.  It accepts any standard 2 volt line level source (Like our ZDAC-1) and has a variable output via the front mounted volume control.  It can also be used as a purist tube preamp where multiple inputs are not needed.

There are a single pair of inputs and a single pair of outputs.  The output level can be adjusted with the front mounted gain control.  In cases where no preamp is used, this can be used as a volume control and drive most amps directly.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #131 of 416
I guess the general consensus is the taboo is a level above the lyr.  That said im wondering if Steve has some taboo ready to ship or better yet demos.  I dont want to wait 4 weeks to listen to my lcd-2.  And i got losts of ax7,au7 and at7 tubes lying around only need to get some el34 or russians.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #132 of 416

That said im wondering if Steve has some taboo ready to ship 

I can assure you he doesn't.   It will be about 12 weeks for me from ordering to receiving for my Taboo & CSP2+.  For amps they're running about 10 - 12 weeks for build.   Demo I have no idea.  

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #133 of 416
Wow 10-12 weeks?  Too much time for me. Any of you guys selling soon? hahaha.  Anyway im gonna call him and if he got any demos or maybe a build that someone order and cancel in last minutes.  Thats how i got my bottlehead and dynaco amps. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #134 of 416
No chance LOL. Sigh - so impatient!

What will you have in 12 weeks if you don't order one? The same as you have now is the answer - no Taboo! 
wink_face.gif
(Just teasing btw - good on you if you do get hold of one quicker)

Quote:
Wow 10-12 weeks?  Too much time for me. Any of you guys selling soon? hahaha.  Anyway im gonna call him and if he got any demos or maybe a build that someone order and cancel in last minutes.  Thats how i got my bottlehead and dynaco amps. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #135 of 416

Anyway im gonna call him and if he got any demos or maybe a build that someone order and cancel in last minutes.

You might have better luck on the Decware Classifieds forum.  Well, probably not, but at least a chance.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back