Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #92 of 416
I'm considering ordering a Taboo later this year but have two quick questions: 1) what are the power values for driving the LCD-2s? (how many miliwatts into 50ohms), and 2) no preamp is needed if you adjust the gain control on the front of the amp, right?  Thanks to whoever can help

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #93 of 416

Quote:
I'm considering ordering a Taboo later this year but have two quick questions: 1) what are the power values for driving the LCD-2s? (how many miliwatts into 50ohms), and 2) no preamp is needed if you adjust the gain control on the front of the amp, right?  Thanks to whoever can help

A preamp is not necessary to drive the Taboo. Best to shoot Steve or call Decware for what the power is into 50 ohms but I can say itr will drive the hE6 and the LCD2 as well as the hD800 and the T1,, I tried all of them with my Taboo sand all sounded fantastic.

May 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #94 of 416
Currently burning in a pair of Gold Lion EL84 reissues. First impressions are they don't quite have that bass slam or dynamics (as compared to stock), but they have some really nice air and extension in the highs. Something about their sound, sounds "light" and easy on the ears. It's a nice change and I'm quite happy with them at their price. I've been also running a Sophia Princess for some weeks now, but can't say that I really notice any change in sound. Sure is nice to look at though. Will be picking up a pair of Sylvania Black Plates in the upcoming weeks to compare with. 
normal_smile .gif

The Taboo is really something special. Hearing it just speaks quality. Not to mention the built and attention to detail. It's definitely a keeper. I'll also add that the LCD-2's don't sound dark or lacking in the highs at all through the Taboo. They are a excellent match. 

May 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #95 of 416
Glad you like the Taboo. I had used the golden Lions and thought IMO they were very extended in the treble a good thing. Bass for me was lacking and I thought they were bright. I sold mine but I love stock,Sylvania blackplate and the old stock Mullard 7189 I have in there now really a special tube. I aslo have Goldern dragons and some Japanese EL84 Skylab had sent me. So I have enough tubes for my kids kids to enjoy.

May 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #96 of 416
Forgive me, I know this question has been asked a couple of times already, but I still don't get it.  Do you need a preamp to drive the LCD-2s with the Taboo?

Is the headphone jack on the Taboo?  Is the volume control on the Taboo?  Is the preamp needed simply to provide more gain?  If you get the preamp is the volume control on the Taboo not needed?

HELP!

May 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #97 of 416
I believe you need a separate preamp for the Taboo, as it is only an amp without volume control. Don't quote me on that, although I think that's correct. Frank uses the CSP2 as the preamp on his. Skylab has the MiniTori which is integrated. I also believe you have to ask Steve (Decware) to put a headphone out on it.

-Daniel

All this can be checked at www.Decware.com but I'm too tired at the moment lol.

May 5, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #98 of 416
I believe the volume control is standard and a jack for planar-magnetic headphones is an extra $100.  A high-output DAC is recommended if not using a preamp. 

More info here: http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm 

Quote:
Forgive me, I know this question has been asked a couple of times already, but I still don't get it.  Do you need a preamp to drive the LCD-2s with the Taboo?

Is the headphone jack on the Taboo?  Is the volume control on the Taboo?  Is the preamp needed simply to provide more gain?  If you get the preamp is the volume control on the Taboo not needed?

HELP!

May 5, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #99 of 416

Quote:

HELP!

You do not need A PREAMP AS THE tABOO HAS A VOLUME CONTROL BUT YOU WILL NEED TO USE a 12AX7 tube in the Taboo to increase gain. I use the CSP-2 because it is muck better with it and much more dynamic and they were made for each other. You could buy the Taboo and always add the CSP-2 down the road.

May 5, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #101 of 416
What I'd really like to see is a comparison by those who know much more about these things than me between the concepts of a Mini Torii vs. CSP2+/Taboo  vs. Taboo only (with the tube modification mentioned above to increase gain), primarily for headphone (LCD-2) use. Once you max out the options on the Taboo, you're at the equivalent cost of the Mini Torii, and when you add the CSP2+ you're well beyond the cost of the Mini Torii alone.

Also, my understanding is that the Mini Torii does not have the "lucid" mode touted on the Taboo and I'm wondering whether anybody out there has actually done some A/B listening and can tell me how much of a difference this makes to them.

I have pretty much settled on Decware for driving my LCD-2, but I am waffling among the three options mentioned above.

Many thanks-- I'm learning a lot from the responses to this thread. MH

May 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #102 of 416

Quote:
What I'd really like to see is a comparison by those who know much more about these things than me between the concepts of a Mini Torii vs. CSP2+/Taboo  vs. Taboo only (with the tube modification mentioned above to increase gain), primarily for headphone (LCD-2) use. Once you max out the options on the Taboo, you're at the equivalent cost of the Mini Torii, and when you add the CSP2+ you're well beyond the cost of the Mini Torii alone.

Also, my understanding is that the Mini Torii does not have the "lucid" mode touted on the Taboo and I'm wondering whether anybody out there has actually done some A/B listening and can tell me how much of a difference this makes to them.

I have pretty much settled on Decware for driving my LCD-2, but I am waffling among the three options mentioned above.

Many thanks-- I'm learning a lot from the responses to this thread. MH

I do not believe anyone has both. Rob has a mini torri I have both pieces for my setup. but I can say the Taboo without the preamp will drive the LCD2 without any issues. I would call Steve deckert at Decware and Steve would be able to give you more insight on to the differences between the two. My Setup drives speakers for me and both my headphones and I like the two piece way above the Taboo by itself but I listen more to the CSP-2 and taboo together than I have just listening to the Taboo stand alone. That being said I never have heard the Mini torri

May 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #103 of 416
Thanks, Frank I. I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks during which I will monitor these forums and mull over my options... what a concept: spending money on something other than audio equipment. When I get back in town I'll take your advice and contact Decware.

May 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #104 of 416
I'll most definitely add a CSP2+ in my setup along the road as I get more seriously into speakers. As for now, I think the LCD-2's sound just fine with the Taboo itself. I think Steve must've spent a great deal of time with them together making sure they'll sound right otherwise he wouldn't market a picture of them together. As long as you have a high output source like the website states. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back