REVIEW: DARKVOICE 3322
Oct 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #182 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse my nubishness but I just received the 3322. Very well constructed device. I have a question though. What are the black covers over the rear tubes and how do I remove them to change the tubes out.

They are just tube covers, I don't believe they are really dampers but they prevent the tubes from getting hit. To take them off you push down on the tube and turn them into the slot that unhooks the cover. It shouldn't be too difficult and I like to leave mine off for looks.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #183 of 492
X2 on Koolpsych's comments on the "tube dampers" and how to remove them.

The 403Bs are, in comparison to other tubes I've tried, bass light: they do go pretty deep but just not as deep or full as others. The MULLARD M8100 is a great all round tube and has excellent bass, though it can't match the 403B in terms of clarity. The LM403B gold pin takes the excellence of the ordinary tube and moves it into the realms of the sublime: haven't tried it, but some have and by all acounts it was fantastic.

The DA100 is a cracker of a DAC, but I can't say if it would mate well with the 3322. If it's a lean sounding device, the sound could conceivably become brash and bright. I'm told it's all about impedance matching between the output of the DAC and the input of the 3322. If that goes wrong, then your sound will. Personally, I experiment, a bit cavalier I know but there you go. So far, everything's been fine. I would like to try the new Valab 4395 Platinum or the XINDAK DAC-5 which is balanced, and has both a tube and SS outputs.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #184 of 492
"First impressions of the sound were disappointing: the amp sounded muddled and congested, and the top-end betrayed an almost ear-splitting degree of sharpness. But the fault was mine and not the amps: t is always a mistake to listen to any audio equipment without an extensive burn in period. More positively, the 3322 was silent, totally free from hum."

I am about 10 hours into this amp with my AKG's and I can tell you that your initial impressions of this amp could not be more accurate. I have ordered some M8100's, Svetlanas, Ulyanovsk, and working on tracking down a matched pair of Ericsson 403b's. I am confident it will get better but my excitment has been tempered a bit. I am really hoping that this amp will smooth out a bit. The AKG K701 are not very forgiving headphones so if it was earsplitting with the Senns then it makes sense that I would need a advil after listening initially with the AKG's.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #185 of 492
At the minute, it's a matter of "grinning and baring it."
frown.gif
I was initially disappointed by the sound of the 3322. I too was burning in a set of headphones, the BEYERDYNAMIC DT880s (2005), and they were also ear-splittingly harsh. Don't despair, the sound will mellow, usually after the 50hr mark, but it may take anything up to 100hrs. You're right to get rid of those Chinese 6J1s, they will simply accentuate the sharpness through the 701s. A pair of M8100s will "soften" the sound, but also improve it.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #186 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the minute, it's a matter of "grinning and baring it."
frown.gif
I was initially disappointed by the sound of the 3322. I too was burning in a set of headphones, the BEYERDYNAMIC DT880s (2005), and they were also ear-splittingly harsh. Don't despair, the sound will mellow, usually after the 50hr mark, but it may take anything up to 100hrs. You're right to get rid of those Chinese 6J1s, they will simply accentuate the sharpness through the 701s. A pair of M8100s will "soften" the sound, but also improve it.

I hope that is the case. In the meantime, this is a painful process.
Did your 3322 emit a odor while turned on? Is it the new Chinese tubes burning in?

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #188 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope that is the case. In the meantime, this is a painful process.
Did your 3322 emit a odor while turned on? Is it the new Chinese tubes burning in?

Ahh good!! It seems that it is starting to smooth out a bit even with the Chinese tubes (still waiting on the tubes I ordered). Still a little sharp, but it is slowly getting better.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #189 of 492
Haha I remember my unit stinking when I first got it. I'm not even sure my unit is fully burned in at 50 hoursish but it sounds great!

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #190 of 492
Where is my darkvoice at?

i just came off the phone with DHL. and according to them my 3322 is still sitting at the postoffice in china. it has been there since tuesday last week.

i am getting a bit stressed now, the DHL guy said it is very unusual for packages to sit at the post office for that long.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #191 of 492
I beleive there is some sort of holiday right now. I know National Day is on the 1st of October. Everything comes to a halt during holidays over there.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #193 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
APX3 is right, it's a national holiday in China so things will come to a stop.
frown.gif

Glad to hear things are improving, APX3.
k701smile.gif

Well, I am happy to report that this guy is listenable now. It is not ear splitting now. It is really smoothing out and I feel much better about it. Starting to get excited again, one set of tubes came in today as well. Amazing how much burning in effects the sound.

update: Whoa!! just noticed your smiley lol. Has K701's on.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #195 of 492
It's frustrating, Julian, no doubt about it. I hate waiting for things to come from the net, the anticipation is intolerable.
mad.gif

Good thing is, you've ordered it from a reputable online shop - Boyier. If - and it's a big "if" - anything has gone wrong, you should be able to sort it out quickly and to your satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back