REVIEW: DARKVOICE 3322
Aug 19, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #152 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the HF2 with my DV332 with Svet 6S19P and Mullard 8100's. It sounded meh to me. The bass roll-off was obvious as compared to the HF2 on a dynahi with the same source. Except for the bass roll-off, I can't really pick out anything wrong with it, but the overall sound was not engaging as it is on the dynahi.

Cheers jellojoe,

I've been waiting for a review, I bought a Xcan v8 as well. Hope this will be a better match with the HF2. Still waiting for my HF2 ( It has been shipped ) and the amp is in the UK at my folks place, but hopefully when they meet they will love each other
tongue.gif

The 332 is still a keeper to use with my 650's.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #154 of 492
Just one more to go (bought DV3322 with whole set of valves including ULYANOVSK, thanks to Marko
darthsmile.gif
), and tested my HD595 and Grado SR60.
It appears that no Grado would show any advantages just its downsides, while Sennhs are to shine as never before! Very good match indeed. I have tested it via Rotel RCD-1072 player, amazing analytic, yet musical sound. Splendid. I have used regularly supplied tubes so far.
Learned in a meanwhile that impendance matching might play its role, in the way that low impedance headphone like one of Grados for example, rated I think 32 ohms are bettered by higher impedance ones (52 ohms Sennhs or more than 60 ohms of AKG. Does it mean that nearly 120 ohms of K601 phones might be the choice instead of somewhat lower impedance matching choice such as above mentioned AKG701?
Did anybody try AKG271 MKII as a closed aural phones on this splendid valve headamp?

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #155 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicca Tito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one more to go (bought DV3322 with whole set of valves including ULYANOVSK, thanks to Marko
darthsmile.gif
), and tested my HD595 and Grado SR60.
It appears that no Grado would show any advantages just its downsides, while Sennhs are to shine as never before! Very good match indeed. I have tested it via Rotel RCD-1072 player, amazing analytic, yet musical sound. Splendid. I have used regularly supplied tubes so far.
Learned in a meanwhile that impendance matching might play its role, in the way that low impedance headphone like one of Grados for example, rated I think 32 ohms are bettered by higher impedance ones (52 ohms Sennhs or more than 60 ohms of AKG. Does it mean that nearly 120 ohms of K601 phones might be the choice instead of somewhat lower impedance matching choice such as above mentioned AKG701?
Did anybody try AKG271 MKII as a closed aural phones on this splendid valve headamp?

Cheers!

I am glad you enjoy it so much! You should try the svetlana tubes also.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #156 of 492
Thanks for suggestion.
I do have Svetlana tubes also...
I might audition them, too...
Any thoughts anout AKG K 271 MkIII vs. K 601/701 headphones?

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #157 of 492
Does anyone have detailed specs for this amp?I've searched everywhere including the darkvoice website, and there is nothing.I'ts so annoying when manufactures are so vague/evasive when it comes to publishing power specs.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #158 of 492
Detailed specs are pretty hard to come by:

Frequency Response: 10Hz~30kHz?+/-1dB
S/N: >100dB
Output impedance: 32-600 ohm
Power Output: > 600mW
Distortion: <=2%

These specs are by no means definate, but they come direct from my manual. Hope it helps.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #159 of 492
Thanks for this great review Goldkin!

I just ordered a DV 3322 from Boyier and really looking forward to getting it. This will be my first tubeamp and I'm really excited ;D

I'm thinking about which tubes to get for it and wonder if Svetlana 6S19P-B and LM E 403b would be a good combination? Please tell me if you got any other recommendations on tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #160 of 492
Welcome along. Good to have another 3322 owner onboard.
bigsmile_face.gif

The SVETLANA and LM403B combo is fantastic, one of the best I've come across: the lush character of the SVETs is partnered perfecty by the leaness and clarity of the 403Bs. Another good combo, and for the same reasons, are the MULLARD M8100s and ULYANOVSK 6S19P-Bs: the warmth of the MULLARDs are counteracted by the lean ULYANOVSKs.

There're lots of tubes out there to try: the WESTERN ELECTRIC 403B is worth a punt, but it's not as good as the LM403B; the RCA 6AK5W is a good tube, as is the TUNG-SOL 6AK5W. Experiment, that's the key.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #161 of 492
I've just received my DV3322 and even without tube rolling it sounds really great !!!

Compared to my former Project amp it is really another world...and I am also really impressed by manufacturing quality for 400€...

The only weakness I noticed is the balance adjustement which is not easy.

Thanks for review and advises, Goldkin.

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #162 of 492
I know people were asking for a comparison with a DV 336, but nothong has been really said about it. I have a DV 336SE and I use it to drive my HD600 and I have to admit I am not 100% satisfied with it. The chinese tubes were terrible so I bought some good ones which did improve the sound but there is this background noise which is really annoying and it increases if i raise the volume. Is the DV3322 also affected by that problem?
I want to get rid of my 336SE because I will move to USA soon, so I am in the market for a new tube amplifier, something better than a DV336SE... Is the DV3322 the one?

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #163 of 492
question for Godkin, or anyone who has input: i 've concluded from the thread that the 3322 sounds better than the 336se, BUT..is it more powerful? Can it drive high impedance/low sensitivity cans any easier than the it's lower cost brother.Thats part of the reason why i asked earlier about the detailed specs for darkvoice.Is there a significant difference in the amount of juice these guys have, or are the differences strictly in the sound signature?

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #164 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by battosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know people were asking for a comparison with a DV 336, but nothong has been really said about it.

OK, well here it goes. I got a used 3322 since a few days (thanks to Lucky Frog Audio UK for providing this unit + better tubes).
First quick impressions: definitely better controlled and defined bass response, soundstage is bigger both left/right and front/back and overall better tonal refinement. I haven't heard cymbals this good. So is it a worthwhile to upgrade? IMHO yes!

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #165 of 492
AS1 has answered your question, and his conclusions seem to back up what others have said: the 3322 (and for that matter the 332) is a better amp than the 336 (i and se).

On paper, the 336 and 3322 specs are similar, but they do not tell the whole story. The sound signatures of the amps are totally different: the 336 is more tube-like, euphonic, open and warm; the 3322 has more of the character of a solid state amp, with all the openess, but with better dynamism and bass control.

No reports of any humming issues, Battosai. Right form the off, mine was totally silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back