REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Jun 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #316 of 375

Quote:
I think it's time for me to coin a new phrase, whenever I disagree with someone, and they act like I hurt there feelings, I'm going to call it
"pulling a gorgon"! 

This may go down in the annals of history. This is how history books get re-written. 
evil_smiley.gif

Pulling a gorg...LOL...ole gorg reminds me of a hard headed 14 year old that just will not ****...haahahahha!!!

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #318 of 375
I'm simply astonished by gorgons ability to "twist" words in a manner that couldn't possibly be described as anything but FAIL. You have yet to provide any detailed comparisons to other headphones, such as Skylab did on many occassions. And this has NOTHING to do with seniority, rather people aren't blind, and as a result they see how Skylab is actually basing his opinions on proper comparisons (as well as vast experience with a ton of headphones), while you are nothing more than a fanboy desperate to be heard. It's actually amazing to see how you've changed, from actually being somewhat approachable to becoming a complete douche. Not only are many of your posts offensive overall, they're downright dumb at times.

Typical human behaviour.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #321 of 375
IMHO, the D2000 would savagely destroy the P5 in terms of sound quality and comfort.

I've auditioned the P5 and I can confidently say that I am greatly disappointed.
I mean... the P5 are really sleek looking headphones, it's just a shame that they had to sound the way they did.
Everything sounds so muffled and "behind the veil"-ish.
They fit fine on your head, but I would not wear them for too long for fear of sweating too much. Though, I do admit, they isolate surprisingly well.
In fact, I can't really consider these as proper listening headphones, but more like an expensive accessory that just so happens to produce sound....

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #322 of 375

Quote:
IMHO, the D2000 would savagely destroy the P5 in terms of sound quality and comfort.

I've auditioned the P5 and I can confidently say that I am greatly disappointed.
I mean... the P5 are really sleek looking headphones, it's just a shame that they had to sound the way they did.
Everything sounds so muffled and "behind the veil"-ish.
They fit fine on your head, but I would not wear them for too long for fear of sweating too much. Though, I do admit, they isolate surprisingly well.
In fact, I can't really consider these as proper listening headphones, but more like an expensive accessory that just so happens to produce sound....

Good headphones always sound bad on first audition.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #323 of 375
Nice and honest review. Than you for the effort. I'm still getting one but I know better now what I would expect.

Quote:
I had a spare hour today and spent it with the P5s, Bose over ear and Denon AH D1001. Listening was out of an ipod touch at a listening station in a quiet shop. I used tracks I know well by U2, Queen and The Who. 

Build quality; P5 (by miles) > Denon > Bose
Comfort; P5 > Denon = Bose
Price; Bose = Denon > P5 (twice the price than the others)
SQ; P5 = Bose = Denon

Each headphone sounded better with a different track and each had its strengths and weaknesses. The P5s have the fullest sound, but treble sounds muffled compared to both Denon and Bose with The Who 'Substitute', the Bose was best. The P5s made U2s 'Streets with no Name' very dramatic and the Denons won with their clarity with Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

So my opinion mirrors Skylab and has not changed since I first put my opinions about these cans on this forum, which was way before Skylab posted this review, so I can't be a fanboy!

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #324 of 375

Quote:
Nice and honest review. Than you for the effort. I'm still getting one but I know better now what I would expect.

Thanks and your welcome. Enjoy your P5s when you get them.

EDIT - and with that I became a headphoneus supremus
k701smile.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #325 of 375
Still lovin' these. One of the rare headphones that actually delivers a tune as an intact entity, rather than strips and pieces of sound in a fake "soundstage" that your brain has to try and assemble.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #327 of 375
Lemme get this straight... you're praising the P5 for its ability to delive a "real soundstage" that isn't fake?

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #329 of 375

This is an altered version of what I wrote in my blog:

I dropped into the Apple Store yesterday to put my name on the pre-order list for the iPhone 4, and noticed they'd finally broken out the Bowers & Wilkins P-5s for demo. Allowing for the slightly treble-tilted tonal balance of my iPod Classic/TWAG LOD/Pico Slim portable rig which I demoed them with, they were surprisingly smooth-sounding. Inoffensive is the word that comes to mind. No tinniness or anything unpleasant, but the usual strong mid-bass and bass that average people tend to like without overdoing it. Very comfortable though. I can understand people picking up a pair of these for casual and non-fatiguing listening. They didn't do anything amazingly, but didn't do anything really badly, even classic jazz, which tends to reveal just how awful many mass-market headphones are, such as Beats. The only oddity about them I found was a bit of a peak in the lower mids, which is an unusual place to sound a bit strong.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #330 of 375
Currawong, you're an HD800 guy - you didn't find the treble on the P5 to be too shelved-down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back