REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Jun 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #271 of 375
Is it really roll-off though? Looks more like recessed treble to me, but I've yet to give them a listen.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #272 of 375
Ok lets be objective...  One mans love is another mans hate so lets say it like this: The P5s are not as bright as most of the more popular headphones. If you are accustomed to and prefer that type of sound then you may find the P5s to be too laid back for you.  I find bright cans to be fatiguing so i prefer a more laid back style of sound that i can enjoy for longer periods of time at high volume levels which is what the P5s give.

Quote:
The thing about the P5 is this - if you are used to balanced headphones, you will have to reacclimate your ears to the P5's rolled-off sound.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #273 of 375
If you like bright cans you will be more critical of the highs on the P5s.. but if you like laid back relaxed highs then you will be quite pleased with the P5s..

Quote:
Is it really roll-off though? Looks more like recessed treble to me, but I've yet to give them a listen.

Now playing: "Holiday" by Madonna.. sounds fantastic!

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #274 of 375
Here's the rub - anyone can tell, by reading my years of posting here, I do NOT like bright headphones. At all. My favorite headphones of the ones I currently own are the Audeze LCD-2, which are far from bright.

But call it recessed, or rolled off, it is my opinion that the P5 are not even close to "balanced" tonally. That is just my opinion, with my ears, but at least I arrived at that opinion by doing carefully level-matched comparisons to other well-known, popular headphones.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #275 of 375
Thats great that you feel like your opinion is fact.. its is a fact that you feel the way you do and thats fine.. for you.  BUt there is more to reality than how you feel and in fact many folks will find the P5s sound  signature to be quite pleasing.  even if you dont.  there are many folks who hate BMWs also..  and thats fine too.

Quote:
Here's the rub - anyone can tell, by reading my years of posting here, I do NOT like bright headphones. At all. My favorite headphones of the ones I currently own are the Audeze LCD-2, which are far from bright.

But call it recessed, or rolled off, it is my opinion that the P5 are not even close to "balanced" tonally. That is just my opinion, with my ears, but at least I arrived at that opinion by doing carefully level-matched comparisons to other well-known, popular headphones.

Now playing "Live to tell"  By Madonna - sounds great

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #276 of 375

Quote:
Thats great that you feel like your opinion is fact.. its is a fact that you feel the way you do and thats fine.. for you.  BUt there is more to reality than how you feel and in fact many folks will find the P5s sound  signature to be quite pleasing.  even if you dont.  there are many folks who hate BMWs also..  and thats fine too.

I'd be more inclined to believe Skylab's informed opinion (keyword: INFORMED) than yours.

Quote:
  BUt there is more to reality than how you feel and in fact many folks will find the P5s sound  signature to be quite pleasing.  even if you dont.  there are many folks who hate BMWs also..  and thats fine too.

That's an opinion too.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #278 of 375

Quote:
Yeah well since this is not a competition on "who can get more e-groupies" its fine that you choose to believe his opinion to be FACT..  The P5s are great to me. just as many think rolex watches are great 

Right, so what you say about these headphones, with unbridled enthusiasm, you fail to provide any solid comparisons with other headphones? Where Skylab provided concrete counterpoints to your arguments, you simply say "blah blah blah, stop hating these headphones, they're the best thing since sliced bread, blah blah blah..."? Provide some other real comparisons with other headphones (ex. not the cut and paste job you did previously in this or the other thread), and your "opinion" might be more valid.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #279 of 375

Quote:
[In response to almost all of gorgonmusic's posts to date]

gorgonmusic,

While it isn't my job to clean up these discussion boards, and likewise isn't even in my nature to try to put others in check for their comments, I still feel as though someone ought to tell you that your incessant, baseless posts about these B&W P5 headphones is simply ridiculous. You clearly don't have experience with or knowledge of headphones, yet you seem to be on a disturbingly personal mission to defend and justify your own headphone purchase.

Whether or not other people like the B&W P5 should, at least in the world where I live, not have any effect whatsoever on a person's life or feelings of well-being. This discussion thread is based on a very fine and educated review of a headphone that had a lot of promise, and you've made it abundantly clear to the reading audience how much you love your P5. However, I believe that if you really felt secure in your assessment of this particular headphone's attributes, you could easily read others' opposing points of view and move on without yielding to some compulsive urge to take some weird "ownership" of this review thread by posting more and more meaningless, uninformed drivel.

Honestly, why don't you just start start your own B&W P5 thread and sing the praises of your headphones there rather than posting further in this thread? If you would be so kind as to do that, I, for one, would appreciate it.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #280 of 375

Quote:
gorgonmusic,

While it isn't my job to clean up these discussion boards, and likewise isn't even in my nature to try to put others in check for their comments, I still feel as though someone ought to tell you that your incessant, baseless posts about these B&W P5 headphones is simply ridiculous. You clearly don't have experience with or knowledge of headphones, yet you seem to be on a disturbingly personal mission to defend and justify your own headphone purchase.

Whether or not other people like the B&W P5 should, at least in the world where I live, not have any effect whatsoever on a person's life or feelings of well-being. This discussion thread is based on a very fine and educated review of a headphone that had a lot of promise, and you've made it abundantly clear to the reading audience how much you love your P5. However, I believe that if you really felt secure in your assessment of this particular headphone's attributes, you could easily read others' opposing points of view and move on without yielding to some compulsive urge to take some weird "ownership" of this review thread by posting more and more meaningless, uninformed drivel.

Honestly, why don't you just start start your own B&W P5 thread and sing the praises of your headphones there rather than posting further in this thread? If you would be so kind as to do that, I, for one, would appreciate it.

He does have one, just not using it.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #281 of 375

Quote:
gorgonmusic,

Translation..
"How dare you trample on inflated egos the way you do? dammit we are professional  opinion makers! We hate having to read your contrary opinion about the P5s. We want o be able to go on and on about how bad of a product they are without anyone one saying otherwise."

What you said is as silly as me asking you to stop saying that you dont like the P5s.. humans are so typically silly most times..

Now playing: "the safety dance" by Men without hats.- sounds great

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #282 of 375
I believe Skylab himself stated that his opinion was just an opinion and nothing more. Heck he even urged people to try them for themselves to make up their own mind. If there's one thing I've learned from this hobby it's that different people hear differently. It's very subjective which makes it both an enjoyable and frustrating experience. What sounds outstanding to one person may sound like utter garbage to another. I'm really glad you like the P5s. Congrats on finding a sound sig that suits you. But arguing opinions will not get anyone anywhere or change anybody's mind. It's just pointless. It's like arguing that redheads are sexier than brunettes or blondes. It's simply personal preference there is no fact. Find what you like and don't worry about what others say.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #283 of 375

Quote:

humans are so typically silly most times..

That is exactly what you are being... Some people already said they liked those, and may have made some other people change their mind (e.g. rhythmdevils who may give those another ear), you already said all you had to say, others are just adding their impressions, people already know yours, so you're not putting anything more to this thread but "hatred" against you... Ok, no one can tell you to just stop, but you're being ridiculous, acting like this.... Just let it go, people know what they should think, not being told by anyone how it could be better for them if blah blah... Let it go man, you have proved your point

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #284 of 375

Quote:
The thing with e P5s is this.. if you are accustomed to bright headphones you will need to spend most of your time with the P5s to retrain your ears to appreciate balanced sound..  Yes it does happen but its your choice. you can simply stick with your other cans.  In my case the P5s have the sounds signature that i like to hear all the time so when i first heard them i was very pleased and impressed..

Burn in for me took about 2 days i lest them playing with a pillow between them to emulate the air pressure of normal use at 90% volume so that my 20000 song itunes library played through them giving a a variety of frequencies..   then i let them rest for a day..   they loosened up about 15% but after a week of normal use they seem to flatten out alot. Mine remind me of sitting inside a competition winning SQ car and that what i love

Quote:
So both of you say that the P5s do not sound very good at first? Both of you say that burn in is needed. Do either of you have blind/ABX proof that burn in is real and not psychoacoustic? 

Bump, to get an answer from gorgonmusic.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #285 of 375

Quote:

How, on earth, did you get that I "feel like my opinion is fact"???  Read my post again.  I *CLEARLY* stated that is is ONLY my opinion.  What I *DID* say is that mine offered a bit more basis for how it was formed than yours.  And that IS a fact (at least to this point).

What is also a fact is that this is *MY* review thread, and I have asked you before, very politely, to stop your endless cheerleading of the P5 in this particular thread.  You have your own review thread that you've written - please continue to post there, endlessly if you wish.  But everyone who has read, or who ever reads, your posts in this thread understands your position on the P5 quite clearly already.  Please stop continuing to try to belabor the point with more of the same posts HERE.  What you do in any other thread isn't any of my business, but I'd rather this thread not get endlessly long with you either piling on people who like them, or railing against people who don't.  especially since you have started to steer your rebuttals to personal attacks on me, which isn't called for.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back