REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Jun 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #243 of 375
dunno if posted already (frequency response <- my posts are search-friendly :-D)

Peak around 250 Hz, let the mudslinging begin!
If you don't EQ that away it just won't sound right.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #246 of 375
Quote:
it was posted elsewhere, but yeah how come the grado spikes like mad between 500-10k?  And what's wrong with having a mid-upper bass peak?

Low dampening (see overshoot at square waves), resonances ..

Some like the resulting sound signature, though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #247 of 375
Exactly...!!!!  That is what i have been saying for the last 10 years..  too many folks are accustomed to bright cans 

Quote:
I think that when people say the P5 lacks top end and sounds rolled off, they are actually missing the grain and other treble nasties that are commonplace in other headphones. If something is bright to most people and you don't hear it, it is possible you have hearing problems. But when you hear correct top end balance, proper timbre on violins, horns, percussion etc., how does one explain that? Is it possible that the opposite is true, that some find the P5 rolled off on top because they are used to bright headphones and don't realize it?

I am hearing the lack of expanded soundstage and compartmentalizing of images, but only when comparing to large headphones that place the driver away from the ear. To my ears, the P5 sounds like good high-end loudspeakers, correctly placed in a small listening/demo room. I know I will never convince anybody on the P5, but why am I suddenly content and not switching headphones all the time?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #248 of 375
Tried these at work today, a colleague bought them. 

I told him they were very good....

They are crap,

That simple, for the money they are crap. 

I wouldnt buy them if they were £50.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #250 of 375

Quote:
I think that when people say the P5 lacks top end and sounds rolled off, they are actually missing the grain and other treble nasties that are commonplace in other headphones. If something is bright to most people and you don't hear it, it is possible you have hearing problems. But when you hear correct top end balance, proper timbre on violins, horns, percussion etc., how does one explain that? Is it possible that the opposite is true, that some find the P5 rolled off on top because they are used to bright headphones and don't realize it?

I am hearing the lack of expanded soundstage and compartmentalizing of images, but only when comparing to large headphones that place the driver away from the ear. To my ears, the P5 sounds like good high-end loudspeakers, correctly placed in a small listening/demo room. I know I will never convince anybody on the P5, but why am I suddenly content and not switching headphones all the time?

I agree with everything you say in this post about people being accustomed to bright headphones and thinking that warm and neutral headphones are "rolled off".  But just to be clear, my K240 sextetts have rolled off treble, and I think they are magical, they walk all over the P5.  Rolled off treble is not what made me dislike the P5.  But I will listen to them again next time I go by an apple store, you have clearly spent more time with them than I did.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #251 of 375

Quote:
I agree with everything you say in this post about people being accustomed to bright headphones and thinking that warm and neutral headphones are "rolled off".  But just to be clear, my K240 sextetts have rolled off treble, and I think they are magical, they walk all over the P5.  Rolled off treble is not what made me dislike the P5.

I think this would be a great topic for a separate thread. I think this is a universal topic and might be of interest to the masses.[size=6.5pt][/size]
I only stumbled upon this because of my cursory interest (curiosity?) in the P5.[size=6.5pt][/size]

I’ll elaborate OT for just a second and then bugger off.

My D5000 have ‘rolled-off’ highs when compared to my DT880, but they are perfect to my ear (the highs… not the boomy bass), whereas the DT880 is exaggerated above 6khz (in relation to what I perceive as ‘natural’). They have their purpose and I really like them, but I don’t care for that one attribute. Conversely the HD600 is gorgeous except for the severely rolled-off highs, making them somewhat muted and… ‘veiled’.
[size=6.5pt][/size]

shane

[size=6.5pt][/size]

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #252 of 375
So I had a chance to listen to these today and I was not impressed. Construction wise and comfort, they are certainly top notch. But once the music started it was downhill. I thought they were too bassy with recessed mids and just plain muddy (and rolled off treble). For the price, I think one can do better. Too bad, I had high hopes.
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #253 of 375

Quote:
So I had a chance to listen to these today and I was not impressed. Construction wise and comfort, they are certainly top notch. But once the music started it was downhill. I thought they were too bassy with recessed mids and just plain muddy (and rolled off treble). For the price, I think one can do better. Too bad, I had high hopes.
confused.gif

Again, dont judge by first impressions
Thats what i felt when i first got them
Burned them in and bam it suddenly changed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back