[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,986 of 7,021
Quote:
Makes sense. I bet Rin would be able to find the cause if differences do exist.

OHhhhhhhhhhh NOooooooooooooooo 

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,987 of 7,021
Quote:
May i ask why Cowon players are not suitable for cable audition?

because this was not approved 
tongue.gif

seriously i find Cowons too aggressive and lacking some black space and naturalness. Cowons are good players but not the ones i would put into audiophile basket. Cowon was revolutionary player until Colorfly and AK arrived IMHO.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,988 of 7,021
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase.

Like Idsynchrono was saying, look at where your bass port is set. There should be a white notch that indicates where the head of the little turning mechanism is. Turn it towards the first slit, not the open circle, then listen again.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,989 of 7,021
Quote:

You know, I didn't hear much of a difference in sound using the ASG-2's stock cable on the 1P2. The difference isn't nearly as large as using the S/G cable on the G-2.

There's no rhyme or reason to the entire thing 
frown.gif

Quote:
Bluebear, wait a second, i must call masochists club to ask :)

Seriously why would i bother about downgrading sound?

I understand that downgrading to stock cable is illogical when one already possesses Tralucent's silver/gold cable. The reason why I asked about doing a side-by-side test of ASG-2 vs 1plus2 using the ASG-2 stock cable is to see whether if the technical superiority of 1plus2 over all other IEMs is inherently found in the IEM itself or mostly due to its pairing with a unique high-quality cable recipe that Gavin has discovered. I would hope to believe it is mostly the IEM itself and not the cable that makes the biggest effect. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair comparing 1plus2 to ASG-2 or any other top-tier IEMs since it is highly possible that another unique great cable recipe can be found to bring out the best on ASG-2 or some other top-tier IEMs. In other words, I am speaking from the point of IEMs' potential to shine. I think most of us would believe and accept the idea that not all great cables work the same way for all IEMs. Each IEM probably needs to pair with the right kind of cable for it to bring out its true potential.

The other objective of doing such a test is also to verify if cable effect on the 1plus2 (or ASG-2) is placebo or not.

EDIT: Also if proven that the downgrade is not too significant, I can live with my conscience if I am ever caught commuting outside with 1plus2 on a cheap cable just for its comfort and flexibility, without having this nagging worry back in my mind that I am getting shortchanged "sonically" (if there is such a word). :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #2,990 of 7,021
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase.

Like Idsynchrono was saying, look at where your bass port is set. There should be a white notch that indicates where the head of the little turning mechanism is. Turn it towards the first slit, not the open circle, then listen again.

Yeah, that is how it is, and was, set.  I remember someone mentioning it before I even put them in.  They sound great now, they just didn't at first.   Going to give it a week and then switch back to stock cables just to see what happens.  I mean at this point it has to be either the cable or my brain just did a brain-burn-in at lightning speed.  Probably doesn't help that I have only been using RE-272 recently and they don't exactly have the same signature. 

Guess I will find out in a week just for curiosity's sake, and or to pass onto others whether or not they should try this cable.  In the end I don't really care what causes it as long as it sounds good.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,991 of 7,021
Quote:

I understand that downgrading to stock cable is illogical when one already possesses Tralucent's silver/gold cable. The reason why I asked about doing a side-by-side test of ASG-2 vs 1plus2 using the ASG-2 stock cable is to see whether if the technical superiority of 1plus2 over all other IEMs is inherently found in the IEM itself or mostly due to its pairing with a unique high-quality cable recipe that Gavin has discovered. I would hope to believe it is mostly the IEM itself and not the cable that makes the biggest effect. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair comparing 1plus2 to ASG-2 or any other top-tier IEMs since it is highly possible that another unique great cable recipe can be found to bring out the best on ASG-2 or some other top-tier IEMs. In other words, I am speaking from the point of IEMs' potential to shine. I think most of us would believe and accept the idea that not all great cables work the same way for all IEMs. Each IEM probably needs to pair with the right kind of cable for it to bring out its true potential.

The other objective of doing such a test is also to verify if cable effect on the 1plus2 (or ASG-2) is placebo or not.

^^^^This^^^^ This is what I am starting to wonder about!

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2,992 of 7,021
Quote:
Thanks much for your time and explanation! I was also using the TF10 but with a lune MKIII. I personally do hear a difference in SQ too (for the better). Now I'm more inclined to try out SPC cable rather than just copper cable haha. Will be keeping a lookout at the Fiio SPC cable too which costs really amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, isn't the Null Audio's Lune MKIII a silver cable? I think it's already better than a silver-plated copper (SPC) cable.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2,993 of 7,021
I've been tip rolling this afternoon and adjusting the bass ports on this loaner pair because I was achieving a different seal.

After some quick adjustments I went into the kitchen and played a few tracks one in particular the bass impact was almost like being punched in the face! Lot of mid-bass but the impact was impressive, like Gintaras calls them the hooligan of IEM's. It's not often I let loose and just make a random post, but I just had to tell somebody, or people who understand the hobby, if i told any of my non audio friends they'll look at me like I'm mad man. :p

The best thing about this was, when I took them off there was no fatigue I encountered.

Justin Beiber and all.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDjX3zgU-w[/VIDEO]

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2,994 of 7,021
Quote:
I don't know if it matters at all, but I just received my ASG-2 and have only listened to it for three 30 minute sessions.  I honestly wasn't completely impressed by anything because the bass bleeds over on all my 90's and newer music...this doesn't seem to be the case with my recordings from the 60's and 70's for some reason.  I happened to have a Moon Audio Silver Dragon laying around which happens to be the only aftermarket cable I own.  Bought it used because I was, and still am, a skeptic about cables.  I wanted to be sure since everyone here always brings them up....
Well the mid-bass isn't interfering with the mids anymore even though there is slightly less bass in general, and there is more treble presence.

I listened to the same six songs in each thirty minute session, 2 Angels and Airwaves in FLAC, 2 Arcade Fire also in FLAC, and 2 Rolling Stones 24bit/96khz.  There are only three possibilities: the IEMs are burned in after an hour and a half, I got used to the sound even though they where short listening sessions, or it was the cable.  Even after observing this, I am still a cable skeptic and I'm not sure anything can change that...and I really don't believe in burn in unless we are talking about capacitors or non-BA type speakers(Please don't flame me).

Anyway, just wanted to share a little and throw out this cable combo in case nobody else has tried it yet.  I love the sound now and am definitely holding onto these for a while.

The ASG-2 is a hybrid IEM with a pair of BA tweeters for the highs and a dynamic driver working across the entire audio spectrum. So it does require burn-in according to what you said. Especially seeing that the dynamic driver which requires some form of burn-in is working across the entire spectrum, its burning-in effect is probably going to impact the entire spectrum too. You should probably hear significant difference not just in the bass, but also across the mids and highs assuming that the burn-in theory is true.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,995 of 7,021
Let me also chime in since we are on the asg2 cable topic.

I do find a different sound for my asg2 when paired with the tralucent silver or gold/silver cables. Can't say I like either very much as they both kinna take away the edge/roughness/excitment/fun of the asg2 bass and treble and it sounded more polite/refined/timid. More so with gold/silver.

I liked it with an old UE customs replacement cable I have and I re-terminated it to trrs balanced and had been using it with 901+balanced board and I like this the most. I ordered a 2nd stock cable from Dale to balance it and will see if I would like it better when Dale return my pair of asg2.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #2,997 of 7,021
Quote:

EDIT: Also if proven that the downgrade is not too significant, I can live with my conscience if I am ever caught commuting outside with 1plus2 on a cheap cable just for its comfort and flexibility, without having this nagging worry back in my mind that I am getting shortchanged "sonically" (if there is such a word). :)

I'm not really sure how it's unfair? These companies release their IEMs with such cables standard. They voiced them with such cables did they not? You should honestly be directing this at the manufacturers more than anything else. It's also gonna come down to preference and synergy. Also factor in is the upgraded cable worth the price tag for you vs the performance increase it brings? Not only is the cable a factor in this but your sources. I'd focus first on my sources before upgrading cables as that is another weak link in the chain.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #2,998 of 7,021
Quote:

i believe Eke did this comparison and i saw he answered this question.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2,999 of 7,021
Let me also chime in since we are on the asg2 cable topic.

I do find a different sound for my asg2 when paired with the tralucent silver or gold/silver cables. Can't say I like either very much as they both kinna take away the edge/roughness/excitment/fun of the asg2 bass and treble and it sounded more polite/refined/timid. More so with gold/silver.

I liked it with an old UE customs replacement cable I have and I re-terminated it to trrs balanced and had been using it with 901+balanced board and I like this the most. I ordered a 2nd stock cable from Dale to balance it and will see if I would like it better when Dale return my pair of asg2.

Wouldn't running it balanced stand for the difference then? More so than the material used in the cable.

Anyway. Just wanted to chime in on the "what if the 1p2 is really only good because of the cable". I think it is safe to believe that they included the cable into their theoretical calculations on how the reproduction of fquencies would turn out. Since it should be possible to predict the effect of the different electrical properties of different materials. At least I hope so... anyway, we would be better of assuming that the 1p2 was ultimately designed to work the best with S/G or Uber cable. Mostly to not become too cynical.

This sounded way better in my head but I hope you understand the rough picture of what I'm trying to convey..

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3,000 of 7,021
Quote:
^^^^This^^^^ This is what I am starting to wonder about!

chaps, from my experience cable alone will be unable to transform a so-so sounding IEM into anything better... what good cable can do is purify sound.

edit:

i screwed with my example about diamonds, i do not recall how this type was called but i recall that it had 72 facets vs. 57 standard and was surely more expensive and better looking, actually this was the type of a diamond Hollywood stars wear at the Oscar awards
rolleyes.gif

so gold silver Tralucent is like 72 facets vs. standard 57
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back