[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #4,906 of 7,021

Where did you buy the cable?

I got it from Hong Kong long ago for my UE TF10, it's a factory made cable from Japan. These days Oyaide still keep their products made in Japan I believe and I'm a big fan of them. Not because they're the best, but no doubt their cables offer reasonably good sound quality under an affordable price, ebay has a lot of them and the prices are pretty close to mine. Otherwise, you can look at Oyaide website to find the closest dealer near your place. For the cable itself, you'll have to modify the connectors yourself in order to fit ASG, so please keep that in mind.

Compare to the stock cable, Oyaide provides a hint more of details and highs with tighten up bass, but the stock one has a more tender vocal presentation and wider soundstage in my opinion. I have to say actually the stock cable is a pretty decent one and honestly I prefer it's appearance over the Oyaide. Oyaide cables do have a specific sound character, so whichever cans you attached to it, you're pretty much listening to Oyaide rather than the original sound of your phones, some people may not like that. One more thing, the UE Oyaide tends to be quite stiff and springy when it's new, it's not that easy to keep it around your ears if worn over-ears.

May 17, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #4,907 of 7,021
Thank you. Modifying connectors sounds problematic, I have zero experience with such things.
So perhaps need to find something ready-made for ASG.

May 17, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #4,908 of 7,021
  Thank you. Modifying connectors sounds problematic, I have zero experience with such things.
So perhaps need to find something ready-made for ASG.

Basically all you need is a pair of steady hands and a razor sharp cutter, perhaps some fine sandpaper as well to trim down the connectors, making it small enough to fit inside the recessed socket. Nothing really that complicated but possibly risky if you cut off too much in once.

May 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #4,909 of 7,021
Ya it's not that difficult to sand the connectors down. I did mine using the filling portion of a nail clipper haha. And it works pretty well! Just do it slow and steay way. Bit by bit and try if it is able to fit before filling it again. Just be careful not to damage the pins. :D

May 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #4,910 of 7,021
 Just be careful not to damage the pins.
biggrin.gif

A few times I was about really close passing the point of no return
tongue_smile.gif

May 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,911 of 7,021
Anyone own both the ASG-2 and the ASG-2.5 and can do a comparison? (apologies if this has already been done, feel free to point me in the right direction)

Also has the allprosound site been verified for selling the 2.5's? 
http://www.allprosound.com/catalog/productdetails~fprodid~19816~item~Aurisonics-ASG-2.5.htm

Seems legit to me?

May 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #4,912 of 7,021
  Anyone own both the ASG-2 and the ASG-2.5 and can do a comparison? (apologies if this has already been done, feel free to point me in the right direction)

Also has the allprosound site been verified for selling the 2.5's? 
http://www.allprosound.com/catalog/productdetails~fprodid~19816~item~Aurisonics-ASG-2.5.htm

Seems legit to me?

If that picture is what they have in stock, it is not the final 2.5. If you want the final 2.5, it will only be in stealth, with the painted on logo.  Will there be differences? I dont know but that is what I was told.

May 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,917 of 7,021
Anyone here from or studying here in Oregon? Just saw someone on my campus with ASG-2 and was pretty surprised. I shoulda asked if they had a headfi account...

May 21, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #4,920 of 7,021
 ​
Fischer Amps FA-4E XB
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​

I have to admit, I thought this was a hybrid when I first put them in my ears. It was only after a song or two that I held them up to the light and noticed a distinct lack of a dynamic driver in the shell. Safe to say, I'm rather impressed by the sound that they've extracted from this guy. More on that later.

The FA-4E XB is a quad BA setup from another German company called Fischer Amps, and it's one of the best BA-based IEMs I've heard. Physically, I find them quite comfortable. The shell is small and ergonomic and, though it vacuum seals, the uber-shallow fit allows for great comfort with tips like the Ortofons. Isolation is also very good.

Without looking at the FR graph, I'd describe the overall sound of the FA-4 as relatively flat, with boosted sub-bass and upper mids, though the upper mid-bass boost isn't quite at Etymotic levels. I'm also finding the treble to be pretty extended and present. Details are emphasized, but the overall signature doesn't come off as cold to me due to the sub-bass that balances everything out nicely. I do notice a hard edge/some tizz to the treble though.

The bass deserves its own paragraph because of how proficient it is. It exhibits the most extended sub-bass I've heard from any BA based iem short of the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS. Texture is great, the bass itself is very dynamic and organic. I listened to Drake's Started From The Bottom and Kings of Leon's I Want You as a sort of test for how the bass "moves". I love the way the bass just rises and falls organically with the music, never seeming to strain. The quantity also never seems to be out of place. I don't think I've been impressed by bass like this in a while. Add in the boosted upper mids, and you retain clarity no matter how much bass is in the song. One thing to note is that the bass only shows its capability when it is asked for. There is no bleed or bloat whatsoever.

Another key thing that I've noticed in the FA-4 is just how sharp the imaging is, and how individual cues are placed very distinctly I have a track to test this on later.

This is very technically impressive phone. The FR is below this:

Vs the ASG-2.

Test tracks:

1) The Language - Drake. Chosen as a test for bass tactility and dynamics, especially in the sub-bass. Warning, salty language.

Results:

Firstly, I feel the bass of theFA-4 reaching slightly deeper than the ASG-2. To put it how the sensation of the bass feels, I feel the ASG-2's rumble stop slightly below my jaw line, while I feel the FA-4's rumble reach down into my throat with slightly more authority. The G2's sounds fuller though, with greater height. But the bass sounds slightly top-heavy compared to the FA-4. I mentioned earlier how the FA-4 can have some glare, and it's apparent here. Drake's voice is sounds more etched on the FA-4, and the synth riff can sound harsh at slightly higher volumes. I love the clarity and extension of the FA-4 here, and I love the G2's height and smoothness also. I find both equally enjoyable.

2) Neon Cathedral - Macklemore. To test for spaciousness and instrument realism.

Results:

Both iems sound quite realistic with instruments and vocals. The differences come in their respective presentation styles. The FA-4 reminds me of the taste of dry gin, while the ASG-2 is like a swig of Bailey's. Both good, but both going about getting you drunk in different ways. I specifically listened between 2:42 and 3:22 for how each iem would handle that passage. The FA-4 can come off as slightly dry, with Macklemore's voice having a slight edge to it. The G2 slightly reduces that edge, allowing for some headroom. The second half of the passage incorporates some ambiance, and both do a great job. However, I feel like the G2's warmer touch and slightly more expansive stage make the experience more immersive. I prefer the G2 here.

3) 24th Street Blues - Lee Ritenour. Imaging test, realism with cymbals, etc.

Results:

I've played the drums for years, and it's probably my favorite overall instrument. The way the drumset is mixed in this track puts you in the drummer's chair, and you can sort of visualize yourself playing. The FA-4's shorter decay and more present treble really help with the image. While I find that the G2 places the cues properly as well, it doesn't do it with as much aplomb as the FA-4. The differences in presentation are also apparent here. The G2's lusher sound really make trumpets and cymbals more seductive, but the FA-4 gives the brass instruments and snare more snap and "followability" (if that makes any sense. Again, I find both equally enjoyable here.

As you can tell, I really like the FA-4E XB. IMO, it easily stakes its claim to the upper tier realm. I only wish I had the Etymotic ER4S to see how they match up technically. What I do have here though is the FitEar F111! 
biggrin.gif

F111 vs FA-4E (this one's for you, gnarlsagan)

Testing using Ben Howard's Everything, and Macklemore's Cowboy Boots

The FA-4E is immediately so much more spacious than the F111, with even nicer and natural mids. I hear greater detail and black space in the FA-4. Add in better bass extension, and you have a phone that is simply on another tier to my ears. I do find that the F111 commits a cardinal sin to my ears. I have very high standards about the quality of my midrange and vocals. The F111 offends me by having a slight radio-ish tonality to the mids. Combine that with the Diffuse Field-esque forwardness, and it's just a big no-no for me. The FA-4 sounds much more right and effortless to my ears. I also prefer the FA-4's treble presentation/integration with the rest of the FR.

Again, on another tier. All IMO of course.

​
InEar StageDiver 3
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
I've been really looking forward to this one. 

The SD3 is a triple balanced armature phone in a 2-way configuration - 2 bass drivers, and the other handles mids and highs. 

It currently retails for 469 Euros at Thommann, which works out to about USD $600, this puts it in line as a direct price competitor to the ASG-2.

Build quality wise, this is a very good looking phone. I love the piano black finish, and it seems they put a lot of work into getting it to fit just right despite its size. It's about  25% larger than the ASG-2, but doesn't even feel that way inside the ears. It may ultimately end up being even more comfortable for some due to its smaller nozzle size. It's really physically reminiscent of the TG334, but even better looking (IMO, of course), and has the advantage of using standard Westone style cables.

​
 ​
 ​
As for the sound, this is really one unique phone. I looked into the specs after hearing the phone, and I didn't doubt them at all.

This is one of those cases where the drivers used can tell you how the phone will sound. It's not so much that the bass is terribly emphasized, it's just that the sound is tilted heavily towards that region. It lends to a very warm and thick sound. Though the soundstage is fairly large, the center stage feels quite congested because the mids and bass seem to be fighting for the same space. There is plenty of bleed, and the mids can often stand behind the bass. The treble has just enough presence to avoid being called absent. I also find the timbre of some instruments and, like the electric guitar and snare, to be thrown off by this tonality. Some vocals also come off as a bit stuffy.

Tuning aside, the technicalities are pretty good. Detail retrieval is there, imaging is there, it just sounds really clouded. It's almost like someone tried to copy the FitEar 334, but took a few wrong turns somewhere along the way.

I think the sound could be greatly helped by a few, well-placed strokes of EQ. In fact, I really want to use the same one I used on my ASG-1.2, but I don't have access to my computer anymore.

Now, vs the ASG-2...

Compared to the SD3, the ASG-2 is immediately much clearer in the mids, and the bass is a good deal more controlled. It's also more extended in the bass and treble. The key difference here is just how much more air there is to the sound. The lower mids of the ASG-2 are a step back, and the more linear FR allows for so much more space for the sound cues to dance. Vocals are more holographic, the bass is deeper, with a lot more texture (Party Rock Anthem is a good test for this), and the signature is faster overall. 

Test Tracks:

Wish - The Flashbulb

Going from the SD3 to the ASG-2 produces improved clarity on this track, especially with the cymbals and snare hits. The timbre improves slightly, but not as much as I thought it would, given the sound sig differences.

Limit to Your Love - James Blake

I'm using this track to test for bass control, instrument separation, and timbre.

Again, the biggest improvement comes in the form of clarity - not the false clarity that comes with overly boosted treble, but true clarity (whatever that means). There's also greater separation, bass extension, as well as timbre. Gone is the stuffy feeling in the mids and bass. I could "feel" the bass reach further down into my chest, while still remaining tight and impactful. James Blake also did several voice overs in the vocal tracks, and each was more apparent on the ASG-2. 

Thirst - City and Colour

The differences are the same here, but there's the added element of rock guitars. The SD3 tended to muck up the guitars, and just lacked overall bite compared to the ASG-2. Whereas the distortion guitars sounded like buzzing, pulsating instruments, the SD3 made them sound more like phones vibrating on a desk.

I had a few more tracks in mind, including some of the ones Sinth sent, but it would be more of me repeating myself.

Conclusion

Now, despite how negatively I may have spoken of the SD3, I think it's a good performing phone. I may even venture to say that it's actually be priced accordingly, given the crazy prices of TOTL iems nowadays. It's just that the ASG-2 is that much better. Still, the SD3 has a very distinct flavor to it that may or may not be to your liking. I can personally appreciate it, but I feel like the ASG-2 is a much better option, especially when you take their similar prices into consideration.

Carlsan will have his pair back soon, so he'll be able to do his own comparison.

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. After doing some extensive research and reading your comparisons through multiple times, i have come to the conclusion that either the Aurisonics ASG-2.5 (i imagine they sound similar to the 2), the 
Fischer Amps FA-4E XB ​
or the 
InEar StageDiver 3
 are for me. I like bassy music as much as i love vocals and instruments so i think these would be perfect no?

anyway what i am asking is, out of the three, which would you get if you were given these prices? Anyone else care to add?

Fischer Amps FA-4E XB:
 ​
£319.99
Aurisonics ASG-2.5: Around £450 after shipping and customs/vat. £380 if it gets through without.
InEar StageDiver 3: £380​

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back