[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,171 of 7,021
Quote:
I do not understand the point of trying the impedance adapter? The asg2 being rather low impedance, there is not theoretical reason to add impedance earlier in the chain is there?

You're not actually adding impedance to the iem, but rather to the source. It's similar to how the TP affects low impedance iems. Adding the adapter to my iP4 would make it seem as I was using it  on a source with a 75 ohm output impedance, reducing the damping factor.

I think I might try to find a 33 ohm one.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,172 of 7,021
You're not actually adding impedance to the iem, but rather to the source. It's similar to how the TP affects low impedance iems. Adding the adapter to my iP4 would make it seem as I was using it  on a source with a 75 ohm output impedance, reducing the damping factor.

I think I might try to find a 33 ohm one.
Yes I understand the principle, but addind impedance to the source you are potentially causing distortion no ?

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,173 of 7,021
Quote:
Yes I understand the principle, but addind impedance to the source you are potentially causing distortion no ?

Hm, that goes beyond my knowledge. I guess if you don't notice any from the TP's higher OI port, then there shouldn't be any here. I definitely don't notice any with the cable.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,174 of 7,021
Hm, that goes beyond my knowledge. I guess if you don't notice any from the TP's higher OI port, then there shouldn't be any here. I definitely don't notice any with the cable.
The TP ruins any low impedance BA I have...no bass. Funily I tried adding impedance with an adapter and it reduced the effect...weird

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,175 of 7,021
Quote:
The TP ruins any low impedance BA I have...no bass. Funily I tried adding impedance with an adapter and it reduced the effect...weird

The ASG-2 has plenty to spare.

The second point is strange. I really don't know too much about the topic, just trying to replicate this damn cable.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,176 of 7,021

The TP reduces bass due to the capacitors in the output path, which is not related to the output impedance. The oi of 10 ohm on the TP will only be a problem with the worst of the multi ba's, like the TF10, that have ridiculous impedance curves. Many listen to the fostex hp-p1 with 10 ohm oi and ciems like the miracles and don't notice much difference.

Edit: forgot to add- I've never noticed any increase in distortion with added impedance.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,178 of 7,021
Quote:
The TP reduces bass due to the capacitors in the output path, which is not related to the output impedance. The oi of 10 ohm on the TP will only be a problem with the worst of the multi ba's, like the TF10, that have ridiculous impedance curves. Many listen to the fostex hp-p1 with 10 ohm oi and ciems like the miracles and don't notice much difference.

Edit: forgot to add- I've never noticed any increase in distortion with added impedance.

PM incoming.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,179 of 7,021

So why Tera Player needs to add the capacitor in its output path while some daps don't need one and provide less than 1 ohm oi?

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,181 of 7,021
Quote:
Adding impedance after the TP would start to negate the effect of the caps in the output path, so to some degree it will lessen the effect of them.

Wait, so how does the ER4P to S adapter work? Does the ER4 series have uneven impedance characteristics?

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,183 of 7,021
Quote:

Wait, so how does the ER4P to S adapter work? Does the ER4 series have uneven impedance characteristics?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticER4PT.pdf?time%3D0

Yes it does...  Yes it does indeed XD 

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,184 of 7,021
So why Tera Player needs to add the capacitor in its output path while some daps don't need one and provide less than 1 ohm oi?

Charles tuned the final TP model by ear. He thought caps in the line sounded better. He had a TP prototype with no caps and low oi and thought it sounded harsh and didn't like it.

Edit: I should add that old OTL amp designs must have caps in the output path but this is purely a subjective choice by Charles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back