[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,141 of 7,021
Quote:
Yup. That was me. When enough people have a different view of a $1000 pair of headphones, you have to try it again.

With the first pair, I used the comply tip and the silver/gold cable to terrible results. This time, I am using stock silver and the large Ortofons.

These are pretty good IEMs! Not sure what was wrong with my first pair but "user error" is certainly possible.

Hi Utdeep,

I've found using the Comply would suppress the lows  and made the overall imbalance (although I still have a few Comply in reserve, but can't use them with the 1Plus2).  I'm now using Sony hybrid with good result.

The Silver/Gold might be good for those DAP/Source on the bright side but with my Tera the Silver is a better overall combo.  

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #1,142 of 7,021
Quote:
Hi Utdeep,

I've found using the Comply would suppress the lows  and made the overall imbalance (although I still have a few Comply in reserve, but can't use them with the 1Plus2).  I'm now using Sony hybrid with good result.

The Silver/Gold might be good for those DAP/Source on the bright side but with my Tera the Silver is a better overall combo.  

I actually find the Silver/Gold to be brighter sounding than the older silver cable... I've used the Hybrid tips before. It actually sounded decent on the 1Plus2 but the JVC and V-modas sound the best on all my sources. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,143 of 7,021
Quote:

I actually find the Silver/Gold to be brighter sounding than the older silver cable... I've used the Hybrid tips before. It actually sounded decent on the 1Plus2 but the JVC and V-modas sound the best on all my sources. 

But mine is the newer version of the Silver (black) and might sound different from the original Silver (never had a chance audition though, can't comment).

Cheers

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,145 of 7,021
All these comparisons with the ToTL models are cool and such, but we still haven't seen the most interesting one!

ASG-2 vs SD3

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,146 of 7,021
All these comparisons with the ToTL models are cool and such, but we still haven't seen the most interesting one!

ASG-2 vs SD3

Don't worry, I'll provide you with the even more interesting completely out of left field who knows what'll happen ASG-2 vs Heaven V comparison. Underdog story of the year or 10 o'clock news massacre? Stay tuned!

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,147 of 7,021
Quote:

ASG-2 vs SD3

As I said, I'm pretty sure Carlsan is supposed to get both and said he would do a comparison of them. He seems to like the SD3 so far though. They are competitively priced so it should be interesting. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,149 of 7,021
Quote:

As I said, I'm pretty sure Carlsan is supposed to get both and said he would do a comparison of them. He seems to like the SD3 so far though. They are competitively priced so it should be interesting. 

Yes, still waiting for  a shipping confirmation on my ASG-2's. The SD3's are fantastic.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,150 of 7,021
Quote:
Yes, still waiting for  a shipping confirmation on my ASG-2's. The SD3's are fantastic.

keep me posted mate, i am curious about SD3 vs. ASG2 race 
rolleyes.gif

something inside me tells me SD3 will be better but i do not have access to try both before buying.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,151 of 7,021
I've now been able to pin down what I like about the 1P2 cable on the ASG-2. 

It definitely reduces the mid-bass, which has the effect of revealing more of the sub-bass. This also reduces the overall impactful nature of the bass, which brings the midrange more in line with the IE800's effortlessness. It still retains the base characteristics of the mids, but the presentation takes a step back. It almost feels like "watching" the mids play in front of me. There's pretty awesome forward projection of the stage here. It sounds like a "better" 1P2 to my ears.

The cable confirms for me that the soundstage dimensions of the 1P2 and G2 are about equal. The stock cable sounds more "fun", and the upgraded cable sounds more "audiophile".

I've been chatting with a buddy who also has the 1P2, G2, and upgraded cable on hand. He also hears the same thing. We're both going to order 75 ohm adapters (like the ER4P to ER4S adapters)  to try to replicate the effect of the silver/gold cable by adding resistance to the stock cable.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,152 of 7,021
I've now been able to pin down what I like about the 1P2 cable on the ASG-2. 

It definitely reduces the mid-bass, which has the effect of revealing more of the sub-bass. This also reduces the overall impactful nature of the bass, which brings the midrange more in line with the IE800's effortlessness. It still retains the base characteristics of the mids, but the presentation takes a step back. It almost feels like "watching" the mids play in front of me. There's pretty awesome forward projection of the stage here. It sounds like a "better" 1P2 to my ears.

The cable confirms for me that the soundstage dimensions of the 1P2 and G2 are about equal. The stock cable sounds more "fun", and the upgraded cable sounds more "audiophile".

I've been chatting with a buddy who also has the 1P2, G2, and upgraded cable on hand. He also hears the same thing. We're both going to order 75 ohm adapters (like the ER4P to ER4S adapters)  to try to replicate the effect of the silver/gold cable by adding resistance to the stock cable.

Let us know how the adapters work out. I have easy access to them and my ASG-2s are being made currently.

If I can somehow make them sound even better that would floor me.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,153 of 7,021
Quote:
Let us know how the adapters work out. I have easy access to them and my ASG-2s are being made currently.

If I can somehow make them sound even better that would floor me.

Yeah we'll definitely report back

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #1,154 of 7,021
Quote:

+1, i find goldsilver more transparent and pleasingly mellower, old silver cable is more thick and rough sounding but is also more big and bassy (if bassheads care for this) :-D

i prefer gold silver for sure but i had no chance to try new silver only cable :frowning2:

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,155 of 7,021
I have a 75 ohm adapter & used it with the AS-2 (and Meier Quickstep amp) earlier tonight.  The results were not pleasing: a very forward midbass/lower midrange w/ a slightly recessed treble.  In other words.. say goodbye to the AS-2 balance.  Interestingly enough, the 'forward' frequency ranges remained surprisingly tight.  It was listenable, but I can't imagine anyone who'd prefer this sound to the sound of, well, the proper AS-2.  I asked Dale about the impedance characteristic of the AS-2 quite some time back.. he said it remains quite linear (at ~34 ohms) from end to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back