[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
May 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #61 of 7,021
Quote:
AS-2 in the house!  My Galaxy S3 inexplicably bit the dust a couple of days ago (waiting for my replacement).. so you'll have to 'settle' for pics with my lowly iPhone 4's camera (/first world problems).

Dynamic driver pr0n:

Sneak a a peek at the BAs in the following photo..

The look and build quality is terrific.  Dale absolutely nailed the fit.. maybe the most comfortable, best fitting custom IEM I've ever owned (even better than the 4.A).  The photos don't do the chrome plates justice (will snap better pics with the S3 camera).  The AS-2 is lighter and smaller than i expected (which is a good thing).

I've had them for all of 30 minutes.. so I'll hold off on the sonic impressions for the time being.. though I've done a little listening with my desktop rig (Violectric V800/V200), using a pure silver IEM cable from PlusSound on the AS-2... and I'm very very satisfied with the sound.  Clean, balanced, and slightly warm is what comes to mind first.  Bass sounds tight & well extended.  Midrange is impressively transparent, musical, and rich with detail.  Treble presence feels just right.. enough presence to get a nice sense of sparkle, detail, and air.. but not exaggerated or artificially boosted in the slightest.  It's smooth, but not dull, recessed, or behind the midrange and bass.  More thoughts coming later.. but so far, I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing.

NICE FlySweep!! 
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #62 of 7,021
Is that an AS-2 with "Black Rhodium" faceplates? The chrome-looking finish is an extra cost, is it not?

May 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #64 of 7,021
Quote:
Is that an AS-2 with "Black Rhodium" faceplates? The chrome-looking finish is an extra cost, is it not?

Yep, they cost extra.

As for the ASG-2...base price (frosted finish) is $500. The stealth finish I have, with the bass ports, costs $150 extra, bringing the price to $650.

If you're sending in the ASG-1 for an upgrade, subtract $200 from those prices.

May 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #65 of 7,021
Quote:

Yep, they cost extra.

As for the ASG-2...base price (frosted finish) is $500. The stealth finish I have, with the bass ports, costs $150 extra, bringing the price to $650.

If you're sending in the ASG-1 for an upgrade, subtract $200 from those prices.

Isn't that just for the ASG-1.0-1.2? I think they haven't released the update program for the 1.3 yet

May 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #66 of 7,021
G-1 to G-2 program went live about a week ago. I just got an email from Andy confirming that they received my G-1 and I'm in the queue for the 2.

May 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #67 of 7,021
Quote:

Isn't that just for the ASG-1.0-1.2? I think they haven't released the update program for the 1.3 yet

I think it's the same, given that the 1.3 is the same price as the previous ones. Not absolutely certain though.

May 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #71 of 7,021
Quote:
Aw man, this is gonna be the same price as the SD3...now it really IS a coin flip...

Maybe I should just stick with my UM3X and repurchase the TF10 for when they get boring...

Ooor...

tumblr_lqz9k71fNG1qhqc6no1_250.gif

Looking at the SD3 thread, it seems like it has a similar sig to the ASG-2, but the ASG-2's dynamic might give it an advantage in visceral feel, texture, all while remaining pretty darn quick for a dynamic.

Still, that was all pure speculation. I don't know what specific BAs are in the SD3. If an opportunity arises where I can put my ASG-2 towards the comparison, let me know.

May 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #72 of 7,021
Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Epic pics, Fly. BTW, those iP4 pics look a lot better than most. The review pics were taken with my own iP4 as well.

I see you don't have the bass port. I don't think you'd have needed it anyway. Looking forward to more impressions.

Thanks!  If you look at the first photo, there's a small black port under the driver.. I'm pretty sure that's the bass port (?).  Is it elsewhere on the ASG-2?

Awaiting further impressions Flysweep.

More will definitely be coming.

I haven't played with the bass ports yet.. I'm assuming it's fully closed because the bass sounds very tight & linear.  If it is closed, I sense a very slight boost in the lower mids which gives male vocals (and vocals, in general) a slight tinge of (welcome) forwardness.  If the bass port does what I think it does (and boosts what I think it boosts), I can see why some might want the bass port just slightly open.. it would mix some (midbass) warmth & weight in with the lower midrange.. offering a more lush, but smooth, intimate vocal delivery.

This phone is very very easy to listen to as far as long term sessions go.  There's just an incredibly pleasing, natural sound at work.  It's neutral for the most part.. but has a delicate warmth that never comes off as sounding thick, stuffy, or ever-present.  It's kind of "GR07 MKII"-like in that sense... but more refined.  The AS-2 does, indeed, have a 'live,' 'at the venue' feel. It doesn't boast a particularly wide stage stage.. but it's got ample width, great depth, and excellent height.  More importantly, I find the overall proportionality in the stage to be excellent.  It uses the the space it has with remarkable proficiency to give the sense of a live space quite accurately.  Imaging and instrument separation is very clean and realistic.  To me, this is much more impressive than phones that boast a ridiculously wide stage.. but lack depth, height, etc. and end up sounding artificial.. and eventually fatiguing.

Eke did a very nice job with the review, much of what I'm hearing reflects what he's mentioned.  In regards to Tyll's review, I'm certain something must be off with his pair.  Bloated bass?  Muffled?  Missing treble?  I know we all hear things differently.. but what I'm hearing is not even remotely close to those characterizations.  This phone sounds clean, well controlled, and balanced.

What's funny is that many of the IF reviewers praised the ES5.  I've owned a custom that's said to be almost identical to.. and perhaps even a bit better than.. the ES5: the DreamEarz AUD-7X.  Mitch modeled the 7X's signature after the ES5.. but improved the treble response a bit (which the ES5 is often said to lack) and bass.  The 7X was nice and reading impression of the ES5, I sensed many many similarities.. but if the 7X is any indication of the ES5, it would be the phone that uncomfortably warm, overtly bassy, bloated, and lacking soundstage space that made for a very stuffy, thick, claustrophobic, fatiguing sound.  I'd put money (big money) on the AS-2 running circles around the ES5.. and that isn't hyperbole or exaggeration.

I'm listening to Ottmar Liebert with the AS-2 & my portable rig (ODAC + Meier QUICKSTEP).. the synergy is undeniable.  Just. heavenly. sound.  It feels like I've got a desktop rig beside me on the patio.  I'm in heaven.

May 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #74 of 7,021
Originally Posted by Ivabign /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes.. my pair have black rhodium faceplates.

*crosses fingers for someone to get these and the Stage Diver 3 for comparison*

You know, I was eyeing the SD3 for a while I've been following the thread & talked with some Euro folks who've heard it).. decided to ultimately pass cause I think it'll be too bass heavy for my tastes.  I'm intrigued by the company though.. as they've got a 'Violectric'-like pedigree and respect in the pro audio market in Germany.  Was planning on waiting for a universal version of the LP4 (SD4), which would most likely be more balanced (like a lot of quad-driver IEMs these days).. but that seems quite far off on the horizon.

I know the AS-2 gets a lot of love for its bass response (and, admittedly, I actually haven't tested bass performance all that much... yet), but I was just telling Dale (via email) that I actually appreciate the rest of the AS-2;s freq tuning more than the bass.  I guess I just kind of take for granted  the phenomenal bass we can *expect* from Aurisonics..  but this is a phone that's tuned with precision.. from end to end.  The AS-2 is no "one trick pony."  As eke mentioned, the midrange is very immersive (I think fans of the BA200 & HD600's midrange will love the AS-2 midrange).. and the treble is, IMO, perfectly tuned for stage monitor purposes.  I'm a guy who "likes my trebles".. and I don't find the AS-2's treble lacking in quantity at all.  For pro monitoring purposes, there might even be a tad more than what some musicians and engineers would expect.

I'm listening to one of my favorite hip hop albulums (
wink_face.gif
) of all time: Outkast's "Aquemini."  I remember running this through the AS-2 demo/prototype (I heard last summer) and my jaw dropped.. it's every bit as stunning the second time around.

May 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #75 of 7,021
I find the iPhone 4 camera takes great close up pics in good lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back