[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #5,057 of 7,021
I get the feeling I am turning up to the party just as everyone is leaving but anyway
My new ASG-2 frosties arrived yesterday
Plugged straight into my touch loaded with ALAC goodness , Kiss God of Thunder pops up on random and boom thump boom
Oh my **** this is awful I thought , the bass is smashing everything mid and treble are there but way way back
Bass ports fully open , it would be nice if some explanation of the bass ports was included
After some experiments I settled on an almost fully closed setting
For the first couple of tracks they did seem very harsh almost distorted in the extreme high and low ranges
Quickly my ears adjusted to this new presentation and a few things started to stand out
Power , just how Aurisonics manage to make the feeble output of my touch at 50% sound so strong could solve the Worlds energy problems
Frequency range , the bass is big , very big but somehow the mid-range and treble have equal presence . I found I could open the bass port to around half way before the bass really dominated
They were the real standouts in my first encounter I was also impressed with comfort and lack of microphonics
Will try them out with my "high end" portable set up tonight should add a little refinement to the experience but unamped straight out of the touch was very positive

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #5,059 of 7,021
Party hasn't stopped.  
beerchug.gif
.  But it does seem other IEMs get more press and threads are more active than this one so it can seem like the party has stopped.  Maybe us ASG2 owners are just more laid back and chill.  ASG out of iPhone is pretty good.  I don't think I'm gaining significant more enjoyment out of my X5 but there is more bass quantity and slight bump in dynamics using a DAP vs iPhone.

Quote:
  I get the feeling I am turning up to the party just as everyone is leaving but anyway

Will try them out with my "high end" portable set up tonight should add a little refinement to the experience but unamped straight out of the touch was very positive

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #5,061 of 7,021

Not at all. I haven't really listened to music since I sent my ASG-2 out on loan. 

I'm just waiting on my 2.5 to come in.

As for the bass port...from the very first post in the thread:

Another significant difference from the ASG-1 is the bass emphasis. Whereas the ASG-1.2 was a sub-bass monster, the ASG-2 leans more toward mid-bass impact. With the bass port closed the low end is tight, very impactful, and exquisitely textured. It lends warmth to the sound without ever encroaching on the mids. However, the bass can take on a life of its own as you open the bass port. It can range from "In da club", all the way to "SOMEONE PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP THAT MADMAN!!" levels of impact and bloom. I personally keep the port closed so as to avoid waking that beast from its slumber. The mid-bass is almost too much for me, even with the port closed. I like bass, but I prefer it to remain below 60 hz as much as possible. It will definitely be too much for some.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #5,063 of 7,021
My new ASG-2 frosties arrived yesterday
Plugged straight into my touch loaded with ALAC goodness , Kiss God of Thunder pops up on random and boom thump boom
Oh my **** this is awful I thought , the bass is smashing everything mid and treble are there but way way back
Bass ports fully open , it would be nice if some explanation of the bass ports was included
After some experiments I settled on an almost fully closed setting
For the first couple of tracks they did seem very harsh almost distorted in the extreme high and low ranges
Quickly my ears adjusted to this new presentation and a few things started to stand out
Power , just how Aurisonics manage to make the feeble output of my touch at 50% sound so strong could solve the Worlds energy problems
Frequency range , the bass is big , very big but somehow the mid-range and treble have equal presence . I found I could open the bass port to around half way before the bass really dominated
They were the real standouts in my first encounter I was also impressed with comfort and lack of microphonics

It does sound absolutely awful with the ports open fully.
I recommended replacing the stock and tips and getting a nice DAP (if you haven't already)

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #5,064 of 7,021
It does sound absolutely awful with the ports open fully.

Naw you think? I used to open the ASG-2 bass ports completely then max out a digzoid Z02 double amped to E11 on EQ2 and it still want enough bass! O_o

Actually I'm lying, the ports barely open was borderline too much.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,066 of 7,021
  Also the filter on my right earpiece is extremely loose, it comes off everytime I remove tips. Would glue be an option?

I put a micro drop of super glue on the bore, then immediately attached my favorite bi-flange on. The only thing is, you risk damaging the bore/tip, also once you put it on, it will be very difficult to remove. So make sure you can stick with using one style of tips if you do glue them on. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5,067 of 7,021
I hope the party isn't dying down, I am just getting started here!!  I just picked up my ASG-2 from Idsynchro_24.  I am pretty new to Head-fi, but I have done Hifi speaker set ups for years.  Past IEM's are Shure SCL-2, UE Studio.fi 3's, Westone UM3X-rc, and now these.  I kind of dual use these for audio listening and on stage performing.  I use these for audio listening when I am down at college, as my speaker set up is far to big for my apartment.  

Sound- The first thing I noticed was the bass. Tangible, Visceral bass.  I have the bass port tuned to just a hair open, just enough to give the Dynamic Driver some breathing room.  The bass is punchy, and extends quite low.  Not super flabby, does warm up the mids a bit, but doesn't overrun. The Mids shine. Holy cow, vocals on this.  I busted out some Imogen on here, wow.  Wow wow wow wow wow. Unreal.  Also played some Sylvan Esso (check em out!), the separation between synth layers and vocal harmonies was sublime.  The instrument separation on this thing is stunning,very well distributed around the sound stage. The soundstage seems to be built as if I were on stage, and the instruments surround me.  Very cool.  The trebles are very quick and detailed, with pretty good extension, but can be a bit sibilant on some recordings.  The cymbals and everything sound good though. 

One of the biggest things with any audiophile setup that involves two speaker technologies is continuity and consistency in sound.  For example, I have an earlier example of Martin Logan's Quest Z's at the moment, and they are still a little rough at the continuous part.  The crossover point is a bit more noticeable than on my more recent Martin Logan Clarity.  These headphones have remarkable continuity, blending in the dynamic driver with the two BA's, not an easy task I would imagine.  Another thing these headphones do very well, in my opinion, is space.  Listening to Miles Davis' Kind of  Blue album gave me goosebumps.  Not in the notes he played, but in the spaces where he didn't.  Its a weighty quiet, and it punctuates the music very well.  The trumpet sounds sweet and detailed.  Acoustic guitars on this thing are very well done as well, but as mentioned before, the star of the show are vocals.

I perform using in ear monitors, and while I haven't had a chance to try these out on stage yet, they are exactly what I am looking for.  The bass allows the kick from my drummer to come through, and really lock in rhythm, and it will definitely be easier to monitor my voice on stage with these as well.  I am very happy, and looking towards possibly sending to Dale to get a refresh and a set of 2.5's.  They do tend to (seemingly) fly under the radar, but they are fantastic. 

Trevor

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,068 of 7,021
Nice Trev,

Was kinda wondering whether I should've messaged you after a pretty lengthy period of silence. I figured that since you didn't send a hurried, worried message that things worked out well :)

I hope they serve you well in the future and beyond!

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #5,070 of 7,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back