[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #361 of 7,021
Quote:
I had a quick demo of ASG-2 yesterday at my local distributor's house. As the set is not yet fully burn-in, I found that the bass is a bit muddy, with mainly mid-bass bloom. This is with the bass port fully closed. The mid is lush, smooth and not too forward like Shure 535. The treble is also smooth and non-fatiguing, which can be good for prolong listening but not good for catching details.
The soundstage is definitely huge.

My questions to those that have ASG-2 for quite some times:
1. Does the bass tighten after burn-in? My first impression is the bass has the quantity to move air, but the sub-bass punch is lacking.

2. Will the treble also improve? It can sounds a bit roll-off like Shure. Or will changing to silver cable bring out the high without the needs to EQ? I just hate to EQ.

On a site note, I just demoed Senn IE800 & AKG 3003 last weekend, and right now my vote on the sound goes to IE800, but the seal n isolation is horrible. This is coming from Shure 535 with olive tips.

1. You get adjusted to the bass presentation. I hesitate to attribute it to burn in though. Compared to the IE800, most things will lack sub-bass punch...which is part of the reason I want it.

2. The details are all there in the treble. It's just really smooth, and again lacking sparkle compared to the IE800.

If you check out my IE800/G-2 comparison, it seems you hear things just like I do.

BTW, how was the K3003? How did it compare to the other two?

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #362 of 7,021
Thanks eke2k6,
To me, I found the 3003 neither here nor there. It's the most expensive of the 3, but me and my wife did not hear or find anything special. We both agreed that the IE800 is the better IEM of the 2. On the plus side, the 3003 has smoother sounds, which may be good to help u to sleep :p

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #364 of 7,021
Hmm, I hear things a bit differently. For one the as-2 (not generic) has more sparkle than the ie800. My as-2 is currently out of my possession but I suspect the ie800 might have better extension but strangely less sparkle. For me that's the genius of the as-2 tuning. Completely fatigue free but with awesome sparkle and unmatched timbre between the two.

The k3003 had even more realistic/brassy treble but required triple flange tips for me to smooth it out, thus reducing long term comfort. I'd put the ie800 behind these two overall. While the ie800's mids are special, it's bass is a serious problem.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #365 of 7,021
Hmm, I hear things a bit differently. For one the as-2 (not generic) has more sparkle than the ie800. My as-2 is currently out of my possession but I suspect the ie800 might have better extension but strangely less sparkle. For me that's the genius of the as-2 tuning. Completely fatigue free but with awesome sparkle and unmatched timbre between the two.

The k3003 had even more realistic/brassy treble but required triple flange tips for me to smooth it out, thus reducing long term comfort. I'd put the ie800 behind these two overall. While the ie800's mids are special, it's bass is a serious problem.

Now you've made me want to go full custom/get custom tips.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #366 of 7,021

Now you've made me want to go full custom/get custom tips.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #367 of 7,021
love  the way the album was recorded and written. Melodies are simple, but so elegant. It sounds like a group of friends just making music they love.

I'm a huge Mumford and Sons fan, but Babel should not have won this year's grammy.

The first 3 songs, while still good, feel more like fillers for the rest of the album...a slight taste of their style of music before plunging you into the deep end. You'll see what I mean. I feel like this album and Little Hell share the ability to put heavy, sometimes melancholy lyrics to melodies that shouldn't match. Craziness.

You'll like GRS. Pay attention to Quarter Chicken Dark, it grows on you.

Ok great. I was dead on then lol. I want to really listen to the lyrics first but I think those songs are there for a specific reason just from the feel. The first time or two I listen to a song or album, I don't really pay attention to the lyrics. I like to get a feel for the music.

I know we usually use this word to describe headphones around here, but I get a real sense of refinement from this album.

Keep 'em coming! :D

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #368 of 7,021
Just want to add that during the brief demo period, I found the ASG-2 to sound better straight out of AK100 headphone jack.
When plugged in to JDS C5 amp, the dynamic is a bit loss.
For the IE800 and AKG3003, they sound better when amped.

Is it because of the "famous" AK100 22 Ohm issue as G-2 impedance is 34, IE800 is 16 and 3003 is 8 Ohm?

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #372 of 7,021
Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking that custom tips will be my next serious investment in audio. I know Aurisonics makes them, but are there any US manufacturers who make acrylic tips that will fit the asg-2?

1964Ears makes sleeves (not acrylic, though).  Their moulding work is fantastic.. and the price is right.  Only thing I worry about sleeves is making sure that the insertion depth is accounted for.  Where does the ASG-2 need to be inserted to to get optimal sound (the reference plane?  A shallow fit?).  I'd make sure to note that (and let the sleeve manufacturer know) beforehand.

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #373 of 7,021
Forgot to mention.. my AS-2 has really tightened up (sound-wise) as of late.  I don't know if it's burn-in.. me getting (more) accustomed to the sound.. placebo.. or some combination of it all.. but it sounds distinguishably better now than it did ootb (to my ears).  My one complaint for the first week or two was that I found some band in the lower mids to be a bit (more) forward (than I'd personally prefer).  I felt this might've been by design as the ASG-1/.2 had this same type of a boost (but much more prominent.. since it was useful for vocal-stage monitoring)... so I chalked it up to a tuning choice by Dale.  Also, while the bass response presentation was terrific.. I felt it could stand to tighten through the upper mid-bass.

Fast forward two weeks.. and those issues seem to have "resolved themselves."  I'm hearing a tighter, more linear mid/upper-mid bass response and a smoother upper midrange.  While the AS-2 sounds terrific just out of my Galaxy S3, it scales (up) impeccably well with my (dedicated) portable & desktop gear.. particularly the Violectric stack 9V800/V200).

JHAudio has my in-ear impressions, so I'll be getting a JH13pro in a month or so.. of course, AS-2 impressions/comparisons will follow.

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #374 of 7,021
I am hoping for this too. The mid-upper/mid-bass response is a bit too congested and dominating in a sense. Other than that, it is a very enjoyable headphone. I can't dial up the volume quite as loud as I would like to because the mid-bass really starts to dominate. I would like to experience some type of change in the future too. Also, we are all awaiting the sub-bass mod that may be available soon.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #375 of 7,021
1964Ears makes sleeves (not acrylic, though).  Their moulding work is fantastic.. and the price is right.  Only thing I worry about sleeves is making sure that the insertion depth is accounted for.  Where does the ASG-2 need to be inserted to to get optimal sound (the reference plane?  A shallow fit?).  I'd make sure to note that (and let the sleeve manufacturer know) beforehand.

Cool! I've been chatting with Dale about some other options too.

I am hoping for this too. The mid-upper/mid-bass response is a bit too congested and dominating in a sense. Other than that, it is a very enjoyable headphone. I can't dial up the volume quite as loud as I would like to because the mid-bass really starts to dominate. I would like to experience some type of change in the future too. Also, we are all awaiting the sub-bass mod that may be available soon.

That's really strange. I actually find them to gain more clarity with volume. I have my ports closed. Are yours open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back