[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #376 of 7,021
While the AS-2 sounds terrific just out of my Galaxy S3, it scales (up) impeccably well with my (dedicated) portable & desktop gear.. particularly the Violectric stack 9V800/V200).

JHAudio has my in-ear impressions, so I'll be getting a JH13pro in a month or so.. of course, AS-2 impressions/comparisons will follow.

Gonna link some comparisons here? :D

I found that my ASG-1 out of my dedicated desktop gear to be such an improvement over my iPhone 4S that I don't even bother taking it on the go with me anymore and I don't really have any interest in a portable rig.

Do you think it's the dynamic driver getting most of the benefit?

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #377 of 7,021
My ports used to be open to the maximum. Now I have them at 50%. Would you recommend closing them all the way?

Also, do you know if it would make a difference in keeping them open or closed when burning them in?

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #378 of 7,021
My ports used to be open to the maximum. Now I have them at 50%. Would you recommend closing them all the way?

Also, do you know if it would make a difference in keeping them open or closed when burning them in?

Haha wooow. No wonder! I told you the bass port is no joke. 50% isn't meant for us mortals.

Listen with the port closed and see how you like it.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #379 of 7,021
Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cool! I've been chatting with Dale about some other options too.

That's really strange. I actually find them to gain more clarity with volume. I have my ports closed. Are yours open?

Is Mr. Eke going to go custom?  Inquiring minds want to know!

In regards to the clarity & volume.. I found the AS-2 to perform quite well as a low-volume monitor.. but, IME, they seem to be optimal when they're fed more current than what the specs might indicate (as a bare minimum).

Gonna link some comparisons here?
biggrin.gif

I found that my ASG-1 out of my dedicated desktop gear to be such an improvement over my iPhone 4S that I don't even bother taking it on the go with me anymore and I don't really have any interest in a portable rig.

Do you think it's the dynamic driver getting most of the benefit?

Comparisons w/ the JH13 will certainly be linked here.  I anticipate doing an in-depth review of both the AS-2 & JH13pro (as a contributor) to an audio blog, though.

The improvements I heard with my dedicated desktop gear seemed to benefit the the AS-2's dynamic driver and BAs.  I sense better driver control, more robust texturing, cleaner instrument separation (and articulation), as well as more precise imaging.. when using it with the Vio stack (or ODAC/QUICKSTEP).  The balanced (proportionality in the) soundstage makes for a very coherent, dynamic listening experience.. this only heightens with better upstream gear.  The soundstage isn't going to give the HD800 a run for it's money anytime soon (atm, I'm convinced nothing in Head-Fi will, so that point is moot).. but I find the AS-2's coherence no less enjoyable.  IMO, the size of the soundstage isn't as important as is the balance between the various dimensions.

It is important to note that the improvements I hear (with dedicated upstream gear) aren't some colossal revelation.. as if it takes the AS-2 from a muddy mess (when unamped) to a pristine sounding IEM.  The AS-2 is terrific from my Galaxy S3 alone (and that's what I tend to listen to the AS-2 with most of the time).. but the improvements I hear with dedicated gear are distinguishable and worthwhile, IME.  That doesn't mean better upstream gear is a necessity to enjoy these phones.. far from it, really.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #380 of 7,021
Quote:

Not at the moment. I can't really justify the cost when I have the universal variant. I'm most likely going to end up with custom tips by the end of the month though (after rotations).

Comparisons w/ the JH13 will certainly be linked here.  I anticipate doing an in-depth review of both the AS-2 & JH13pro (as a contributor) to an audio blog, though.

*Drool*

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #381 of 7,021

In regards to the clarity & volume.. I found the AS-2 to perform quite well as a low-volume monitor.. but, IME, they seem to be optimal when they're fed more current than what the specs might indicate (as a bare minimum).

The improvements I heard with my dedicated desktop gear seemed to benefit the the AS-2's dynamic driver and BAs.  I sense better driver control, more robust texturing, cleaner instrument separation (and articulation), as well as more precise imaging.. when using it with the Vio stack (or ODAC/QUICKSTEP).  The balanced 
(proportionality in the) 
soundstage makes for a very coherent, dynamic listening experience.. this only heightens with better upstream gear.  The soundstage isn't going to give the HD800 a run for it's money anytime soon (atm, I'm convinced nothing in Head-Fi will, so that point is moot).. but I find the AS-2's coherence no less enjoyable.  IMO, the size of the soundstage isn't as important as is the balance between the various dimensions.

It is important to note that the improvements I hear (with dedicated upstream gear) aren't some colossal revelation.. as if it takes the AS-2 from a muddy mess (when unamped) to a pristine sounding IEM.  The AS-2 is terrific from my Galaxy S3 alone (and that's what I tend to listen to the AS-2 with most of the time).. but the improvements I hear with dedicated gear are distinguishable and worthwhile, IME.  That doesn't mean better upstream gear is a necessity to enjoy these phones.. far from it, really.

I tried my GR07 MK II's on my PC(w/ ASUS Xonar Essence) playing the high quality audio option for 5 Centimeters Per Second: :flushed:

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #382 of 7,021
I tried my GR07 MK II's on my PC(w/ ASUS Xonar Essence) playing the high quality audio option for 5 Centimeters Per Second: :flushed:

I am still really upset at that soundtrack for two reasons. 1) it wasn't recorded/mastered all that well. 2) they left out the trailer song which I argue is one of the better arrangements of the main theme.

Sorry Eke for the off topic. I'm just raging a bit at what could have been.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #383 of 7,021
The gr07 is a beast of a iem, if only it could fit and stay behind my ears as easily as the asg2. To be honest the asg2 is the most luscious sounding vocal reproducing iem I've heard yet. I've come to the realization that not one phone can do everything right and at that moment I realized I could love things about all my phones. These asg2's reproduce the vocal range so delicately that I feel as if Chris Young's "Tomorrow" is being sung directly infront of my middle forehead/ nose, as if I'm standing face to face with him. It's a strange thing to hear accuracy when you weren't neccesarily listening for it. Truly cannot wait for the moment I unwrap my package containing the as2's. Tis be a great day I tell ya

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #384 of 7,021
I am still really upset at that soundtrack for two reasons. 1) it wasn't recorded/mastered all that well. 2) they left out the trailer song which I argue is one of the better arrangements of the main theme.

Sorry Eke for the off topic. I'm just raging a bit at what could have been.

To the PM'mobile!

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #385 of 7,021
Quote:

Eugguy, have you tried with closed ports yet?

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #386 of 7,021

The improvements I heard with my dedicated desktop gear seemed to benefit the the AS-2's dynamic driver and BAs.  I sense better driver control, more robust texturing, cleaner instrument separation (and articulation), as well as more precise imaging.. when using it with the Vio stack (or ODAC/QUICKSTEP).  The balanced 
(proportionality in the) 
soundstage makes for a very coherent, dynamic listening experience.. this only heightens with better upstream gear.  The soundstage isn't going to give the HD800 a run for it's money anytime soon (atm, I'm convinced nothing in Head-Fi will, so that point is moot).. but I find the AS-2's coherence no less enjoyable.  IMO, the size of the soundstage isn't as important as is the balance between the various dimensions.

I like that you think the AS-2 is stable yet has headroom. I found the ASG-1 to be not so much stable.

After I heard it through the desktop gear, it was absolutely a gigantic difference in relative terms. It went from a dark sound, with not so much a veil but with maybe a lot of humidity and very relaxed treble to a clean sound with more air but still relaxed treble. To paint a picture, it was like someone put skylights and a dehumidifier into the cavern.

You had the D100 right? I'd describe the MKII as being very crisp, on the brighter side of neutral but not exactly cold sounding. Maybe that's what's creating the changes, not so much the extra and cleaner juice.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #387 of 7,021
Quote:

Eugguy, have you tried with closed ports yet?

Hey Eke, yes I've played around with the ports. It is really noticeable when you turn them up. I actually had one vent opened all the way, and one completely closed. It is very clear that opening the vent gives the ASG2 a VERY noticeable boost in bass. I self-diagnosed myself as a basshead this week. I do prefer them all the way open. It sometimes rattles my skull a bit. However, still quality before quantity, as I believe it should be that way with everything in life. I still would rather hear more of the bass in the subbass portions, rather than the midbass. I am still pleased with what I am hearing out of these. I believe it is mostly brain burn-in that is taking place. Very easy to feel and get into the music with these!

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #388 of 7,021

Quote:

Not at the moment.

Thank god! Don't join the dark side! I came from customs! After rehab, I see the truth. I can imagine you will only be disappointed in customs after hearing so many phenomenal IEMs. Then, you're stuck with them! Sure hope they fit you right!

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #389 of 7,021
Thank god! Don't join the dark side! I came from customs! After rehab, I see the truth. I can imagine you will only be disappointed in customs after hearing so many phenomenal IEMs. Then, you're stuck with them! Sure hope they fit you right!

I find myself on that ledge all the time. I've almost jumped into customs on two separate occasions. Still not sure. Comments like yours help remind me of the possible disappointment I'd experience from them.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #390 of 7,021
Quote:

Everytime you post you make me think I should stick with UIEMs. Even though I really like UERMs. But yeah, I do know that once I get my ASG-2s and maybe the Flat-4, I'll be set on IEMs for a while....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back