[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,616 of 7,021
  Note though, I have a piece of foam hanging out as a handle to reverse the mod.

Another test track: http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Traffic+Jam+feat+Damian+Marley/cWI6R?src=5

what's this? you must be kidding.... with the same success i can record the industrial noise 
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #3,618 of 7,021
Hahaha, Gotta hand it to Rin. Now AS doesn't have to bother with demo units, just gotta find two landline phones :wink:

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,619 of 7,021
  Purchased the ASG-2 Stealth and just waiting for the shipment to arrive. I can't wait to listen to them.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

what's this? you must be kidding.... with the same success i can record the industrial noise 
tongue.gif

How dare you insult the children of Bob Marley?!! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,620 of 7,021
Sep 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,621 of 7,021
I used to own the ASG-1 and I was convinced that I must of had a defective pair because they sounded so bad to my ears. I contacted the vendor and got a replacement. I was disappointed that it sounded the same. I tried burning them in and tried a multitude of tips. Nothing worked. To me, the only saving grace was the bass. The mids were the driest I have ever heard and the highs were practically non existent. I sold them before the upgrades were available but even with version 1.3 some headfiers were echoing my impressions. Even to this day, I can't understand how they ever got popular and I thought Aurisonics wouldn't last long in the business. I was comparing them to my UM2 and IE7 at the time and I couldn't buy the "they're tuned to be stage monitors" excuse. I am an amateur drummer and would use the UM2 (tuned to be stage monitors as well) any time over the ASG-1. What got me interested in the ASG-2 was they they now incorporated BA drivers for highs and mids which caught my attention. Also, I read a couple of posts where people has similar impressions about the ASG-1 but ended up liking the ASG-2. I purchased them from the FS forum and the original owner really like the sound signature. I'm hoping for the same experience.
etysmile.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,622 of 7,021
  I used to own the ASG-1 and I was convinced that I must of had a defective pair because they sounded so bad to my ears. I contacted the vendor and got a replacement. I was disappointed that it sounded the same. I tried burning them in and tried a multitude of tips. Nothing worked. To me, the only saving grace was the bass. The mids were the driest I have ever heard and the highs were practically non existent. I sold them before the upgrades were available but even with version 1.3 some headfiers were echoing my impressions. Even to this day, I can't understand how they ever got popular and I thought Aurisonics wouldn't last long in the business. I was comparing them to my UM2 and IE7 at the time and I couldn't buy the "they're tuned to be stage monitors" excuse. I am an amateur drummer and would use the UM2 (tuned to be stage monitors as well) any time over the ASG-1. What got me interested in the ASG-2 was they they now incorporated BA drivers for highs and mids which caught my attention. Also, I read a couple of posts where people has similar impressions about the ASG-1 but ended up liking the ASG-2. I purchased them from the FS forum and the original owner really like the sound signature. I'm hoping for the same experience.
etysmile.gif

Yep, I wrote this about the G1:

Quote:

​
I'll start off with the most glaring fault of this revision of the ASG-1. The treble.

It's refined, it's richly defined with timbre as good, or better, than the GR07 (yeah, I know). The problem is that there's barely any of it. This leads to an overall darker sound that I feel HAS to be EQ'ed to restore some balance to the sound. When I do EQ it, it's the best earphone I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Below is the EQ is use on the Equalizer app for iPhone. As a matter of fact, it's just the "Treble Booster" preset. Though, this is my favorite EQ setting: +2.0 dB. 5000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 8000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 12000 Hz : +5.0 dB 16000 Hz : +5.5 dB.

It just seems that this new dyamic driver has a mid-bass emphasis, instead of the G1's sub-bass tilt. We're just waiting on the cross valve mod basically. The positive thing here is that the driver is still fast as hell. I've been listening to Drum and Bass all day, and it surprised me how truly quick the driver is.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,623 of 7,021
I've been thru a number of TOTL phones myself and I still feel like the G-2 deliver very good sound for the money. If you're a fan of seductive mids and powerful bass, you will probably enjoy them quite a bit. VWinter has been working on some EQ settings that he's shared with me and the phones sound completely different, and much cleaner - the bass attenuated (but not without heft/punch), with more prominent treble and energy up top; the phones do respond to EQ very well. What I enjoy the most about the G-2 is how detailed it is without any of the treble tomfoolery that would tire out your ears in half an hour.

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #3,624 of 7,021
I've been thru a number of TOTL phones myself and I still feel like the G-2 deliver very good sound for the money. If you're a fan of seductive mids and powerful bass, you will probably enjoy them quite a bit. VWinter has been working on some EQ settings that he's shared with me and the phones sound completely different, and much cleaner - the bass attenuated (but not without heft/punch), with more prominent treble and energy up top; the phones do respond to EQ very well. What I enjoy the most about the G-2 is how detailed it is without any of the treble tomfoolery that would tire out your ears in half an hour.

A bit of foam, a bit of auvio tips and a bit of EQ. It's insane how different they sound compared to stock. And I'm only casually playing around with the graphic EQ in winamp pro on android. The sound is... intoxicating, really. Addictive. Seductive. If someone has any suggestion for setting up an EQ on android or cpu and settings for ASG-2. Please PM me, I'm very interested in getting started.

On a side note I think I figured out a combination of things that created the horrible ringing. I suspect that the "lack" of upper mids and the smooth treble made me think that the volume was lower than it actually was. Think of it as when you first started to drink alcohol. "No I'm not drunk, I can drink more. Yeah, a little more. A little more. It's still ok. What IS THIS?!" And the rest is... history.

Anyway, burning in and lowering the volume allowed me to use the auvio tips and my silver interconnect. So I'm happy. A few songs still sound sibilant but it's more a fault in the recording than it is in ASG-2. They are still sensitive to both sibilance and clipping so poor recordings will sound worse than on other phones.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3,625 of 7,021
New discovery: TF10 single flanges...

They're the most comfortable tips I've used on the G2, and with the largest soundstage.

I'm on lunch break listening to the G2, and I've been dancing while cooking, dancing while eating, and I'm dancing while typing this. Thank you, autocorrect!...it should be illegal to be this resolving and fun the same time.

I'm also starting to wonder if these were tuner for slightly higher volumes. At "live" volumes, the mids are perfectly linear. Vocalists like Whitney Houston, who destroy the ears on DF tuned phones, sound perfect on the G2 at fun levels. I just found that interesting.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,626 of 7,021
I used those tips with the IE8/IE80 and got the best sound out of them with those tips. They are not the most comfortable for me but it's worth the trade off. I'll definitely try them with the ASG-2.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #3,628 of 7,021
"I'm on lunch break listening to the G2, and I've been dancing while cooking, dancing while eating, and I'm dancing while typing this. Thank you, autocorrect!...it should be illegal to be this resolving and fun the same time."

What'd you do, hack into my phone and steal my UERM notes?

Seriously though, in "fun" factor, the ASG-2 is right up there. Thats one of my criteria for phones I want to own. I don't care how magnificent it does something or everything, If I can't enjoy music, then what's the point. And when I say enjoy, I mean what you typed above, not so much sit there in awe of the prowess.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3,629 of 7,021
New discovery: TF10 single flanges...

They're the most comfortable tips I've used on the G2, and with the largest soundstage.

I'm on lunch break listening to the G2, and I've been dancing while cooking, dancing while eating, and I'm dancing while typing this. Thank you, autocorrect!...it should be illegal to be this resolving and fun the same time.

I'm also starting to wonder if these were tuner for slightly higher volumes. At "live" volumes, the mids are perfectly linear. Vocalists like Whitney Houston, who destroy the ears on DF tuned phones, sound perfect on the G2 at fun levels. I just found that interesting.

I've been using those exclusively on the Flat 4 Sui and the Kaede when I had them. Definitely gives them the biggest headstaging/sound staging compared to all other tips I've used. Seems to not really take away from that aspect more than anything else. Just lets the IEM show you what is there IMO. At least in regards to the Flat 4 that is. Not really a fan of it on my other IEMs. I lost my only pair of these tips while they were on loan. So I had to buy a set of 5 from a vendor on amazon.com. It was actually quite expensive being around $17.00 with shipping. But there are no other sources that I can find them from and UE also charges a lot for shipping. Then again I couldn't find them on UE site after they updated it. Seems like these tips have been discontinued so you might want to grab while they are still available.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,630 of 7,021
What'd you do, hack into my phone and steal my UERM notes?

biggrin.gif

Speaking of which....

I've been using those exclusively on the Flat 4 Sui and the Kaede when I had them. Definitely gives them the biggest headstaging/sound staging compared to all other tips I've used. Seems to not really take away from that aspect more than anything else. Just lets the IEM show you what is there IMO. At least in regards to the Flat 4 that is. Not really a fan of it on my other IEMs. I lost my only pair of these tips while they were on loan. So I had to buy a set of 5 from a vendor on amazon.com. It was actually quite expensive being around $17.00 with shipping. But there are no other sources that I can find them from and UE also charges a lot for shipping. Then again I couldn't find them on UE site after they updated it. Seems like these tips have been discontinued so you might want to grab while they are still available.

That I shall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back