[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,466 of 7,021
Think about it, Mr Way_Outta_Sync: Do we really want to live in an Asian "A" world? Really think about it.

Do you suppose I ought to think about it again? And if so, to think it over once more?

Seeing how it's the neuropsych module, I'm pretty happy with it. It's the second hardest class in the entire curriculum.

I kid man, congrats on passing :wink:

Anyway, just so this doesn't get hilariously OT, I've spent the last few weeks with the excellent AKG K3K. And for all of that phone's technical proficiency, it still can't engage me in a manner that the G-2 can. The G-2 still possesses this vividly tangible aspect to its vocals and instruments that I only ever find on similarly midrange focused IEMs like the FAD Heaven, PF and 334. I feel the drop in resolution immediately when switching from the K3K to the G-2 but I am no less enthralled. The expansive nature of the K3K just can't manage that same degree of intimacy, and the concentrated density and force of the G-2 engages in a manner like few other phones I've heard. It's vivacious and draws you into its sphere, whereas a phone like the K3K keeps you at bay as an observer. Very different phones with very different intents here. I love them both

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,467 of 7,021
Do you suppose I ought to think about it again? And if so, to think it over once more?

Ok, then. Please be humble and think about it once more, a little more deeply—just once. In an Asian "A" world Mr Waaaay_Outta_Sync would be called something else entirely, his avatar might look slightly differently; he'd even be an agreeable character, he'd have better taste in phones, clothing, watches, cars, use of language…AND women. Come to think of it, much like our cheerful and always "A" smiling sparrow, actually.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3,468 of 7,021
I kid man, congrats on passing :wink:

Anyway, just so this doesn't get hilariously OT, I've spent the last few weeks with the excellent AKG K3K. And for all of that phone's technical proficiency, it still can't engage me in a manner that the G-2 can. The G-2 still possesses this vividly tangible aspect to its vocals and instruments that I only ever find on similarly midrange focused IEMs like the FAD Heaven, PF and 334. I feel the drop in resolution immediately when switching from the K3K to the G-2 but I am no less enthralled. The expansive nature of the K3K just can't manage that same degree of intimacy, and the concentrated density and force of the G-2 engages in a manner like few other phones I've heard. It's vivacious and draws you into its sphere, whereas a phone like the K3K keeps you at bay as an observer. Very different phones with very different intents here. I love them both

Are you talking about sound at this point though, or your own emotions? Do you think you'd get more emotionally involved with the K3003 over time? Would you want something more stable and reliable for a long term relationship? :p

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,469 of 7,021
I kid man, congrats on passing
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Ditto. I guess I jumped to sending you that frienzied PM.

To a Dr. Who nerd like myself, the ASG-2 reminds me of the Tardis. It seems small at first glance, but when you peer inside it's a space that you can just get lost in. There's still the occasional song that had too much mid-bass, but I'm perfectly happy. That cross valve mod will be perfection when it's done, simply because I know the G2's dd is capable of more. I played with EQ for a few minutes when I first got it back. I dropped the high bass and boosted the sub-bass by a few db, and there it was in all its glory...zero distortion. 

Ok, then. Please be humble and think about it once more, a little more deeply—just once. In an Asian "A" world Mr Waaaay_Outta_Sync would be called something else entirely, his avatar might look slightly differently; he'd even be an agreeable character, he'd have better taste in phones, clothing, watches, cars, use of language…AND women. Come to think of it, much like our cheerful and always "A" smiling sparrow, actually.

I still don't get it...

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,471 of 7,021

Muzak, your shallow preoccupation with status and material possessions makes you an honorary "A"-sian in my book, but what do I know? I'm just an underachievin banana

Are you talking about sound at this point though, or your own emotions? Do you think you'd get more emotionally involved with the K3003 over time? Would you want something more stable and reliable for a long term relationship? :p

C'mon Gnarls, we all know that graphs, measurements and objectivism have got no place here on HF. We have shunted all that quackery over to the ghetto that is the sound science forum. With that in mind, please allow me to equate the dichotomous nature of the G-2's elegant brute force to that of DC's Batman and AKG's cerebral juggernaut with a heart to Marvel's Professor X. If we keep the aforementioned in mind, it only seems fair to state that the G-2 can defeat any and all challengers if allowed enough "prep time"

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #3,472 of 7,021
Muzak, your shallow preoccupation with status and material possessions makes you an honorary "A"-sian in my book, but what do I know? I'm just an underachievin banana

:))

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3,473 of 7,021
I figure an Asian A type world would be filled with lots and lots of charming birds, what's not to like!

: ))

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #3,475 of 7,021
C'mon Gnarls, we all know that graphs, measurements and objectivism have got no place here on HF. We have shunted all that quackery over to the ghetto that is the sound science forum. With that in mind, please allow me to equate the dichotomous nature of the G-2's elegant brute force to that of DC's Batman and AKG's cerebral juggernaut with a heart to Marvel's Professor X. If we keep the aforementioned in mind, it only seems fair to state that the G-2 can defeat any and all challengers if allowed enough "prep time"

Well that clears things up lol. 

I'm more interested in whether you differentiate between an iem that is satisfying now and an iem that will be satisfying for a long time. While I enjoyed the ASG-2 for about a week, it's "flavor" later turned from delicious/satisfying/exotic to midbass/mid-dips/treble-peak. I'm not saying you see the same or any flaws that I see in the ASG-2, but is there anything about it you might get sick of after extended listening? I think it's fun to share how an iem makes us feel, but I've also wasted a bit (or more) of money based on how an iem makes someone else feel, so I think it's helpful to add context to those kinds of impressions. 

At least I didn't use the "p" word (rhymes with gazebo...kind of). 
tongue.gif

Edit: I am definitely interested in some ASG-2/K3003 sound comparisons. Sparrow has me all riled up over the K3003.   

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #3,476 of 7,021
say since we were speaking about Tips for the ASG-2 may i make a query ? 
the Westone True-fit foam tips + star fit kit ???? any one tried them ? are they too small ? it looks like a great kit to start with ! 
Considering i cant get any ortofons or avuio tips in singapore ....and the sony hybrid tips make it sound...uninteresting/boring...
Now im Forced to use the Comply tips that came with my TF10 ....that are already starting to break down...

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Ditto. I guess I jumped to sending you that frienzied PM.

To a Dr. Who nerd like myself, the ASG-2 reminds me of the Tardis. It seems small at first glance, but when you peer inside it's a space that you can just get lost in. There's still the occasional song that had too much mid-bass, but I'm perfectly happy. That cross valve mod will be perfection when it's done, simply because I know the G2's dd is capable of more. I played with EQ for a few minutes when I first got it back. I dropped the high bass and boosted the sub-bass by a few db, and there it was in all its glory...zero distortion. 

I still don't get it...

Hahaha every Dr.who fan is a nerd ! myself included ! but the pref term is WHovian! hahaha. 
Im in the process of finding brushed aluminum vinyl and engraving on it in gallifreyan " bow tie's are cool " pasting and cure the vinyl on the ASG-2 Faceplate !
I dont mind doing the carbon fiber vinyl for anyone living near me =) BTW 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,477 of 7,021
Hey ! i think i found another contender to the ASG-2's throne 
The Unique Melody 3DD , not to be mistaken with Pirahana 3DD !! 

But seriously though if any one can put up a comparison would be much appreciated !

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,478 of 7,021

But seriously though if any one can put up a comparison would be much appreciated !

wish there were more review out there for the 3DD. i was originally deciding between getting one or the other. But one thing that ASG-2 wins hands down in is ergonomics and fit, especially for a dude with miniscule ears like me. So the decision became easy for me.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #3,479 of 7,021

The 3DD are really nice sounding iems. They are HUGE so may indeed be problematic for people with small ears (in universal version at least). As for a comparison to the ASG2  I could not say, but the 3DD is more on the bright side with boosted bass (with standard filter, bass can be toned down or enhanced), so the sigs are definitely different I think.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3,480 of 7,021
Seriously. What do "normal" people listen to? I showed my friend the ASG-2. She said "do they have bass? I like bass." I put them in her ears and turnes the valve to 3(!). She got the biggest smile I've ever seen on her face. She probably listened to some horrible "house" music as well with already bloated bass. Just had to write that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back