[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,941 of 7,021
But, but, BUT THE 1P2 thread told me that cables changed EVERYTHING. Stop your deceitful ways Eke. *plugs ears and hums a tune*

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,943 of 7,021
But, but, BUT THE 1P2 thread told me that cables changed EVERYTHING. Stop your deceitful ways Eke. *plugs ears and hums a tune*

Idsynchrono, remember one word - Uber - before you speak out :p

Seriously i do not know how Gavin makes his cables but i never heard better ones. I suppose some witch dancing takes place during the process :)
I have silver (old version) and gold silver from Tralucent and both are miles ahead of any cable i heard before and after.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2,944 of 7,021
I repeat:

7405.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2,945 of 7,021
Actually, it is here where measurements would come in very handy—different graphs showing a) if there are any differences at all, and b) if there are any differences, whether they can be considered audible / noticeable / significant.

People still underestimate how real the so-called placebo effect can be, as well as ignoring and/or overlooking our own biases and just how poor our auditory memory really is, even in just minutes / seconds when switching from one IEM to the other. (switching cables takes longer, BTW)

PLEASE note I'm not saying all the cable talk is BS / nonsense, and that all cables are the same, as I've not tried several of the cables being discussed.

HOWEVER, for a cable that retails for $1,000+, for instance, I think measurements should almost be mandatory.

*** PLEASE, PLEASE let's not turn this into "Well, I'm 100% sure I heard a noticeable difference, I don't need graphs to tell me cable X sounds much better than cable Y or Z, I know this track inside out and..." ***

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,946 of 7,021
I'd personally love to see interposed graphs of the ASG-2 with and without the silver&gold cable. I know I hear a difference, and so do others who have tried, but I'd love to see how it's visibly represented.

Maybe my ASG-2 will make one last stop at Rin's place before heading back to me.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,947 of 7,021
People still underestimate how real the so-called placebo effect can be, as well as ignoring and/or overlooking our own biases and just how poor our auditory memory really is, even in just minutes / seconds when switching from one IEM to the other. (switching cables takes longer, BTW)

I find this to be incredibly true. My stance on the issue is similar to Eke's as I noticed a more pronounced change on the G-2 than the 1P2, BUT, I would not bet money on it. Ive flirted with the thought of keeping the S/G cable, and might have even raved about it in private messages, but by the same token, I'm not 100% certain that the changes are as dramatic as I feel them to be, thus I've never introduced the subject into the thread. I will be passing it (S/G cable) along to VWinter so he can arrive at his own conclusion (himself a skeptic alongside Eke and myself). Aside from that, your decision to judge the G-2 on the merits of its performance with the stock cable is the correct one

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,948 of 7,021
Music, for curing Placebo it is recommended inserting cable deep enough .. Hm... Ahhh ... No.... What we talking about? :)

Seriously, some time ago i also thought that cables are placebo... gladly my hifi merchant cured me... i really could not believe my ears what i heard from a good cable, to make it worse even my who is audio agnostic, also heard clear and significant improvement. To tell frankly in high end some cables make day and night difference... Tralucent is indeed what reminds me of high end.

But there are many so so cables overpriced and advertised which make people sceptical about cable.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,950 of 7,021
Quote:
Actually, it is here where measurements would come in very handy—different graphs showing a) if there are any differences at all, and b) if there are any differences, whether they can be considered audible / noticeable / significant.

PLEASE note I'm not saying all the cable talk is BS / nonsense, and that all cables are the same, as I've not tried several of the cables being discussed.

HOWEVER, for a cable that retails for $1,000+, for instance, I think measurements should almost be mandatory.

*** PLEASE, PLEASE let's not turn this into "Well, I'm 100% sure I heard a noticeable difference, I don't need graphs to tell me cable X sounds much better than cable Y or Z, I know this track inside out and..." ***

I know Rin has done measurements of Heir Audio's silver cable in comparison to a generic one on eBay.  Measurements show 1-2 dB changes across the spectrum coming from the stock copper. 

You also have to remember, when playing with cables, you'll also play with the electrical characteristics of the IEM.  Impedance will play a large roll in how a cable changes the sound of an IEM as well.  Lots of factors in hand here. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,951 of 7,021

FWIW, this just one guy's opinion and prone to bias and all kinds of shortcomings like everyone else's...

... I just got Eke's ASG-2s back from Gintaras, fired up my Cowon i9 + Xin Supermicro IV and played the first 30 seconds of this Indigo Girls' song in an endless loop for like 20 minutes. Went back and forth between the stock and Tralucent gold/silver cable half a dozen times and there's no audible difference to my ears. This song has been one of my test tracks for years and I know it by heart. Mid bass on the ASG-2s has the same slightly elevated level with both cables, midrange refinement is excellent and identical with both cables, and percussion is similarly muted with both cables. Dynamics, resolution, soundstage and imaging are indistinguishable to these ears.

If I had to choose one of these, it would be the stock cable, because it's more supple and less microphonic than the Tralucent one. I'll continue the evaluation with more complex music and different sources at a later date, but that's my preliminary conclusion. Like I said, just one guy's opinion, no more no less.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,952 of 7,021
Well, for what it's worth, placebo... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipBBy3KU_bU

:-D

James444, pls borrow my BH and C3, with S9 which i also have everything will sound the same, Cowon is not what i would use for audition cables. You also right, cable will no bring new sound, what it did for me was slightly adding space between instruments, purifying mid bass so that it obstructs a bit less low bass, mids get only slight add via removing bit of grain from voices and trebles reveive slightly meatier body. This is how i heard it.

If you ask me for how many % the improvement i would say about 10 to 15, and if you ask me was this worth the price i would say Yes, i know some other dudes would disagree about 15 percent costing megabuck... but for me that was worthy improvement. Just do not expect cable to turn ASG into 1+2 :-D

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,954 of 7,021
Quote:

You also have to remember, when playing with cables, you'll also play with the electrical characteristics of the IEM.  Impedance will play a large roll in how a cable changes the sound of an IEM as well.  Lots of factors in hand here. 

Yes, I'm aware of that. The question I ask, then, is this: If certain cables show an audible SQ difference in a graph, will the cables people sometimes / often recommend actually make the sound better?

What of how an IEM / headphone was originally voiced? If certain cables make an audible sonic difference, are we not in effect kind of getting a new IEM / headphone?

Isn't it odd that people will buy a $300, $500, $1,000 or $1,300+ IEM and spend $300 / $500 / $1,000+ extra on a cable?

What of those (expensive) IEMs that have no removable cables (K3003, FI-BA-SS, 1601, 1602, Flat4s… and so many others)? Are they all doomed?

If cables are the easiest thing to modify (and do research on), why is it that manufacturers are not using some these cables or cable materials in their IEMs? Surely the consumer would pay A LOT less as production costs would be MUCH lower for the manufacturer.

Funny how in the TG334 thead people have often spoken of different AND expensive cables… yet reports vary... sometimes vary wildly.

Anyway, we're seriously AND dangerously heading into Science Forum territory, which isn't a good thing normally in other forums, so I think we'd better leave it at that.

-----------------------

I wonder if I should be flattered by Mr koonhua90's, er, 'flattering' comment below (thumbs up comment):

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2,955 of 7,021
Music, i am not prepared to understand your humor but how you gonna measure cable, i suspect whiskey is too strong or you say that IEMs must be measured with different cables to see what differences?

On a lighter note, the main advantage of gold silver cable is If you do not like it you always can remove the isolation plastic and present it as necklace for pendant to your girlfriend or wife :-D)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back