Review: Apuresound-recabled Etymotic ER4P (revised)
Oct 18, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #46 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I give up on you, crawl back in the whole from where you came and stay there, you obviously don't have anything of value to contribute here

I'm terribly sorry to have offended you. I shall immediately creep back into the whole from whence I came. Also, as a reconciliation gift, might I offer you some free counseling in the areas of astrology, homeopathy, or dowsing, in which I happen to be an expert? Let's bury the shovel.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #47 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's bury the shovel.

OK.

As an aside to this dicussion on audible benefits from recableing which is never going to objectively decided there are several other reasons for going through with this which ARE objective even though they may no be equally important to everybody.

In the case of the APS ER4 cable you lose the pod in the middle of the cable and the phone in the ear gets much smaller so doesn't stick out like alien antennas.

In general you can get the length, termination and sleeving you want and various cables have different degrees of microphony and flexibility (the Westone ES cable as opposed to the UE Tripple.fi cable in point).

For me those extras can be as important as the sq improvement.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #48 of 104
Quote:

OK.

As an aside to this dicussion on audible benefits from recableing which is never going to objectively decided there are several other reasons for going through with this which ARE objective even though they may no be equally important to everybody.

In the case of the APS ER4 cable you lose the pod in the middle of the cable and the phone in the ear gets much smaller so doesn't stick out like alien antennas.

In general you can get the length, termination and sleeving you want and various cables have different degrees of microphony and flexibility (the Westone ES cable as opposed to the UE Tripple.fi cable in point).

For me those extras can be as important as the sq improvement.

Yes, those are some very valid points, and I guess if I had more money, I'd probably consider an APS cable for precisely those reasons. Plus maybe less microphonics and overall cooler look. I still wouldn't renounce physics, but those things combined (plus the amount of money spent) would most certainly make me appreciate the beautiful sound signarute of the ER-4S more. I'm not against fooling yourself as long as you're humble enough to admit that you might be doing so.
wink_face.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 104
So, the idea (i've had) of buying from Apuresound its 75ohm adaptor and the ER4 cable for my ER4P is not very clever?

(I mean: Buying only the cable is better?)

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #50 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the idea (i've had) of buying from Apuresound its 75ohm adaptor and the ER4 cable for my ER4P is not very clever?

(I mean: Buying only the cable is better?)

I bought both the APS ER4P and 75 ohm adapter from Alex. By buying both, you can choose to go with either the P or S. P sounded a little more musical but soundstage is smaller compared to S.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #53 of 104
You have to use them over the ears, this is the use they are intended for. A clip would help too, or you could just put the cable inside your sweather or jacket.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #54 of 104
Yes over ear is the way to go, no microphonics for then at all. Also on mine (well Tony's now) I had Alex put a small piece of shrink wrap above the y-join to use under the chin.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #55 of 104
I had considered this mod to my Etys for quite awhile and reading Antonyfirst's review decided to doit. O BOY am I glad I did. Even after one hour of listening (Nano/Mustang/ALO SXC cable) Nora Jones' "Chill" CD takes on new depth, new meaning and fantastic bass. I'm burning in the cable as well as the Etys so I have about 150 more hrs to go. Still, first impressions is it's the best $190 upgrade I've done to date

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #56 of 104
And my latest experiment

165936.jpg

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 104
Balanced Apuresound V2 recabled Etymotic ER4P.
biggrin.gif
Jan, kudos to your genius and will to experiment. They must destroy your L3000 and GS1000, to say the least.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #59 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ How is it?

Won't know until after New Year. I'm away for the hollidays so they will be left on repeat for burn-in for about 10 days. I will just give them a quick listen later tonight though
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #60 of 104
Quote:

And my latest experiment

http://www.pichotel.com/pic/7012ODTVq/165936.jpg[IMG][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Wow, this takes Etymotic dedication to another level. [img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back