Review: Apuresound-recabled Etymotic ER4P (revised)
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 104
Yup, but I'd probably buy them new too.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 104
No, you can go from P to S adding a 75 ohm resistor, but can't go back from S to P.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 104
Way to blow your money. Its called a placebo effect. Its fake. I have a hard time AxB my PK1s with my PK3s unamped. Let alone tell the difference between my high end custom interconnect and a cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect.

I find it hard to believe that you could exactly pin point the differences by memory! I call it a placebo effect. But if you believe in this kind of stuff then atleast recable it yourself for 1/10000 of the price. Unless you just have cash to burn. Nevertheless its just a waste of money

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 104
I know what's placebo and I am not so inexperienced to fall into it. You don't have even heard them and yet you are so certain in what you are talk about. At least your belief will let you save money for something more useful than Audio.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #21 of 104
I'm intrigued, but paying more for the cable than the earphones is something my brain can't handle. If I somehow break the current cable then I'll have some justification to do this..

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 104
I know what you mean. If it can make you feel better, the recabled one competes with Triple.fi and SE530. After that it's a matter of taste... as things stand now I prefer the APS Etys. The recable makes sense for someone who would upgrade to another IEM anyway. In fact it makes more sense than buying an amp for them.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean. If it can make you feel better, the recabled one competes with Triple.fi and SE530. After that it's a matter of taste... as things stand now I prefer the APS Etys. The recable makes sense for someone who would upgrade to another IEM anyway. In fact it makes more sense than buying an amp for them.

Thanks, that's helped me realise the value of it. I suppose either APS Ety 4 or Livewires will be my next purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 104
You just gonna trust someone else opinion for making such a large purchase, brandnewgame?

I'd suggest trying to AxB a high-end interconnect with a cheap one with an amp. If you cant do that then I wouldnt even think about getting those recabled Etys. I wouldnt do it in the first place though. As for 1/10 of the price I could do it myself.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #26 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just gonna trust someone else opinion for making such a large purchase, brandnewgame?

I'd suggest trying to AxB a high-end interconnect with a cheap one with an amp. If you cant do that then I wouldnt even think about getting those recabled Etys. I wouldnt do it in the first place though. As for 1/10 of the price I could do it myself.

I don't know how to apply plastic isolation to wire, which I could learn, but I also don't know what the APS cable is made of :s

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 104
Nice, you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what I hated about the stock ER-4P. It sounds like the recabled-one is a winner. I did mess around with stock ER-4P equalization as far as my portables would allow, but I never got a satisfactory FR out of them.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 104
I had a broken SR-001 unit for a while and I was able to fix it but i was afraid of breaking it again so I never listened to it. I had a couple hours of free time so I repaired it to a level where I shouldn't break it and have been listening to it again after using the ER-4ps for a while.

What antony says about the ER-4ps in terms of decay is one of my biggest issues with the earphones compared to my Stax system. The sibilance only gets to me on certain recordings (often older recordings from the 60's and 70's) but I would still like to alleviate the problem.

I might have to look into this cable but I haven't experimented with EQ too much to reduce the effects of sibilance so maybe I'll do that tonight while i listen. I might look into this cable if I can't get it right.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 104
Great Review!

I have the same issue with the Etys and it seems that the cable would fix them by your review. But right now, the volume is very low in my "right" channel and I'm guessing they are broken. I'll either have to send them in or purchase new ones. And I've been on the fence, so this review is timely.

My Xin supermini III amp has the ability to switch P to S, so the P cable would be a no brainer in my case.

I have the E500 and I am a treble guy. the 500 is a great IEM, but I can't deal with the high frequency roll off. The UE11 as you mentioned is way too expensive for an IEM (for me anyway), and the never to be released IEM that I won't mention is just a myth at this point.

So, I think a recabled Ety may be the best bet for a lot of people if the sound is to their liking. I guess all of this may justify the pricey cable upgrade and put things into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back