Review: Apuresound-recabled Etymotic ER4P (revised)
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 104
Rob,

Change your filters and check for ear wax. I have had many contact me telling me one said is louder than the other and 9 out of 10 times it was one of those 2 issues. If not call Etymotic they are really good about repairs.

Thanks,
Alex

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #32 of 104
I go filterless and just use small pieces of nylon stocking held in place by the tip.

And Yehaaa, it looks like my balanced ER4-P is going to happen, Alex had just enough V2 cable left to make me a 6' Ety cable from it. Can't wait to hear the final full potential of the ER4 driver.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #33 of 104
Deffinately not placebo and anyway I think you would have great trouble recabling these yourself as the connector is not exactly an of the rack item.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way to blow your money. Its called a placebo effect. Its fake. I have a hard time AxB my PK1s with my PK3s unamped. Let alone tell the difference between my high end custom interconnect and a cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect.

I find it hard to believe that you could exactly pin point the differences by memory! I call it a placebo effect. But if you believe in this kind of stuff then atleast recable it yourself for 1/10000 of the price. Unless you just have cash to burn. Nevertheless its just a waste of money

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #34 of 104
I do hate the stocks etys too till I decided to take a gamble and purchased the ER4 cables from Alex. I've been enjoying my APS ER4P now and even got the custom sleeves from Westone! I do have 2 APS P cables with me now
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deffinately not placebo and anyway I think you would have great trouble recabling these yourself as the connector is not exactly an of the rack item.

I just dont believe in cables. I've got a custom interconnect made out of atleast $20 of materials (would probally sell for over $100 if it had the ALO tag on it) and it performs just as good as a cheap $3 cable.

And I think everyone is fooling themselves in this thread. Claims that recabling will turn the Etys 4 into a SE530 are just ridiculous and would disappoint alot of people that are now going to buy this mod.

I would certainly not pay such amounts of cash. And its 100% possible to do it yourself with a little bit of research, time and help from ebay.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 104
Well suit yourself then instead of insinuating that those of us who can hear and do believe are idiots.

And I don't think anybody claimed that it turn ER4 into SE530 (who would want that anyway, then you could just buy a SE530). What is being said is that with the cable it costs about the same as SE530 or Tripple.fi 10 and is at least as good if you like that sound signature.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Well suit yourself then instead of insinuating that those of us who can hear and do believe are idiots.

If I remember correctly Don Wilson (the Etymotic engineer whose name is on the patent for the ER4) wrote here a while ago that he couldn't imagine how changing the cable of the ER4 could possibly change the sound.

I personally think it's much better to catch an African albino and use his corpse as filters in my etys. It produces the sweetest mids, the deepest bass and the clearest highs. Its really expensive, and thus a HUGE upgrade to the stock ety filters!!! It kind of turns the etys into K1000's, but like three times better. Also, my ear wax turns into gold.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #38 of 104
I can't wait to get ER-4Ps again because I've purchased an iBasso D2 Boa and the way it recesses the highs might suit those. On my Sony MDR-7509HDs it sounds a little bass heavy as they're already slightly warm cans (which makes me want a Pico for them). Very smooth and mellow, though.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think it's much better to catch an African albino and use his corpse as filters in my etys. It produces the sweetest mids, the deepest bass and the clearest highs. Its really expensive, and thus a HUGE upgrade to the stock ety filters!!! It kind of turns the etys into K1000's, but like three times better. Also, my ear wax turns into gold.

Honestly, why is it necasary to redicule people who believe other than you
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face.gif
frown.gif

Haven't you got any better to do with your time.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #40 of 104
Quote:

Honestly, why is it necasary to redicule people who believe other than you
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face.gif
frown.gif

Haven't you got any better to do with your time.

I bet if I hadn't gone over the top with the K1000's and the golden earwax, I could have sold you some albino powder filters for like $200, and you would have thought it was TOTALLY worth it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 104
I have stopped replying to these silly posts by people who, anyhow, haven't even heard the headphone under discussion.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #42 of 104
Many thanks, Tony, for the review. I know you and I talked about this and many other topics awhile back, and both took the triple fi journey as well. Have thought about using the Apuresound cabling for my Ety 4p; now after reading your review, reading NC8000 and some others, am ready probably to do it. And unlike some others here, I HAVE heard and owned Ety, Image, Triple Fi, Sleek, and other high-end IEMs used both with and without a variety of amps.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #43 of 104
Hi Tony, I was just listening and comparing my P to S. P sounds drier than S to my ears. How does the APS P sound compared to the stock S? I have a Cowon D2 > Cardas mini > Tomahawk.
Thanks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #44 of 104
After pairing the APS ER4S with my Lisa 3 rig, it just sounded more musical, not as dry as before with a better soundstage, it's wider and with a good amount of height in it, ER4 soundstage tends to be wide but with minimal height.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #45 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet if I hadn't gone over the top with the K1000's and the golden earwax, I could have sold you some albino powder filters for like $200, and you would have thought it was TOTALLY worth it.
biggrin.gif

I give up on you, crawl back in the whole from where you came and stay there, you obviously don't have anything of value to contribute here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back