REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Nov 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #61 of 422
Thank you, Elysian and Skylab for the great start.  I will do more research based upon your comments + work out meeting the new "Bay Area Tube Guy".

(I'll take the rest offline or start a new thread...sorry to thread-jack so badly!)

But the Super 7 allows for a lot of tube combos so my thoughts are already headed that way...
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #62 of 422
I find that the Sylvania 5692 Yellow Label used as power tubes in one of my amps reveal a noisy 6SN7 driver very well.

Have you tried them with the S7 yet?

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #63 of 422
Any comparisons to an Earmax Silver or Anniversary edition?

I've now decided to buy one

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #64 of 422
Just sayin':
I've used my BA daily since I got it (over 6 months ago).
As my preamp and can amp.
No glitches whatsoever. Nothing but cheshire cat grins.

But I don't throw it in the car every morning, either.

BTW, it's a lot easier to spot and fix a loose wire than a bad board.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #66 of 422
^Well I have a portable amp that needed:
  1. a new switch for charging (had it sent to me and friend replaced)
  2. then the optical input went out (manufacturer fixed)
  3. now the headphone-out jack is breaking connection (they will sell me new jack to solder in, cheaply)

Oh, and the volume knob came off too...

So bring on my Super 7.  I want it already.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #67 of 422

Quote:
My volume knob got loose and came off.

So did the knob on the prototype while I had it.  I had to grab a screwdriver to lock it down again.  Oh the horror!  It's fortunate I had my micro-driver set handy after fixing the loaner LCD2 that was falling apart. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #68 of 422

Quote:
My volume knob got loose and came off.

You could always try some stuffing some TP in it before remounting.

Less OT--have you or anaxilus heard anything about how the production of the Super 7s is coming along?

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #69 of 422
The chassis are in. Still waiting for the power transformer and inductor. I'm heading in that direction sooner rather than later. Will take pics.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #70 of 422
What tubes are you going to use?

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #71 of 422
Well, I don't know how it happened but I'm in the market for a Pelican case for my tubes.  Still waiting on my amp.  Doh!  >.<

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #72 of 422
Is it a good idea that I will use   2 Kenrad VT231's+ 2 National Union 6F8G's round plate +
2 Tungsol 6F8G's with ECC32 for the warm set up for HD800?
both National Union and Tungsol are recently acquired.

For the LCD2 or LCD3 setup, I will use 2 Sylvania 6SN7W + 2 Fivre 6SN7's + 2 Toshiba 6SN7GTb's
long bottle and Tungsol 6SN7 round plate black glass as driver.  Any comments would be highly appreciated

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #73 of 422
I already picked up a pair of black-glass Ken-Rads, a pair of clear-glass Ken-Rads, a GEC B65 for the driver, and am considering acquiring a pair of Bad Boys or chrome dome GTA's.
And the S7's aren't even ready to be shipped out
blink.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #74 of 422

Quote:
Is it a good idea that I will use   2 Kenrad VT231's+ 2 National Union 6F8G's round plate +
2 Tungsol 6F8G's with ECC32 for the warm set up for HD800?
both National Union and Tungsol are recently acquired.

For the LCD2 or LCD3 setup, I will use 2 Sylvania 6SN7W + 2 Fivre 6SN7's + 2 Toshiba 6SN7GTb's
long bottle and Tungsol 6SN7 round plate black glass as driver.  Any comments would be highly appreciated

There is no simple answer to that.  Just wait for the amp and play w/ what sounds best to you and your setup.  That's the beauty of the amp.  Those all should be fine in the right combinations though I haven't heard the Fivre, Toshis or what I presume to be Mullards?

Quote:
I already picked up a pair of black-glass Ken-Rads, a pair of clear-glass Ken-Rads, a GEC B65 for the driver, and am considering acquiring a pair of Bad Boys or chrome dome GTA's.
And the S7's aren't even ready to be shipped out
blink.gif

The transformers are being custom made to his spec atm.  They are individually hand wound/made and this is a smaller batch than expected.  It's not easy to source the right transformer at the right price/performance ratio anymore.  Apparently it's a dying art.  If it wasn't for that he amps would have been released 3 months earlier probably.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #75 of 422

Quote:
The transformers are being custom made to his spec atm.  They are individually hand wound/made and this is a smaller batch than expected.  It's not easy to source the right transformer at the right price/performance ratio anymore.  Apparently it's a dying art.  If it wasn't for that he amps would have been released 3 months earlier probably.

I'm not grumbling about the development period of the S7; just musing about the scale of tube purchases once the amp actually arrives, seeing some (at least 3
biggrin.gif
) of us are expanding our tube stashes already heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back