REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Nov 7, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #32 of 422
My 2 cents.

The driver tube is critical, everything depends on it from that point on.  Consider an analogy of normal versus parametric EQ compared to using one or two output tubes versus six in the S7.

Not one headphone i tried produced audible hum or noise from the prototype IME.  After rolling a set of tubes I often sweep the pot from min to max after they warm up to confirm the presence or absence of noise so i can be sure of what I'm hearing w/ the new tubes.  Because the amp was so silent it was usually a way to listen for bad tubes or those going bad.  The only noise we could discern was CEE TEE using his sensitive UERMs.  Ironically the noise was worst on new production Tungsol GTBs compared to even older used stock.

Thx for the input about your BA's issues.  I've had the S7 prototype for a substantial amount of time and I know it's been put through the ringer at meets and bounced around quite a bit on it's various journeys.  I haven't heard any issues w/ purrin's BA or headphoneaddict's ZDT or uncle eriks and dallan's ZDs but maybe they can chime in to confirm.  Definitely good to have some insight into people's ownership experiences thought I'm not sure if your case was the exception or the rule.  I'll send Craig an email to use extra solder just in case.  ;P

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #33 of 422
I am in for the super 7 because the price below 1500$ for me is a steal,
especially if it can drive the HD800 and all the mentioned phones well. 
Another temptation is the ability of the amplifier to do the tube rolling.
I will not go for the LCD3 now because it seems to me that it is just
improvement over the LCD2 rev2,  not an evolution.  Purrin also hinted that.
I 'd rather use the money  for this one (than to use with LCD3)

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #34 of 422

Quote:
I am in for the super 7 because the price below 1500$ for me is a steal,
especially if it can drive the HD800 and all the mentioned phones well. 
Another temptation is the ability of the amplifier to do the tube rolling.
I will not go for the LCD3 now because it seems to me that it is just
improvement over the LCD2 rev2,  not an evolution.  Purrin also hinted that.
I 'd rather use the money  for this one (than to use with LCD3)

Can't wait to see your LCD3 plugged into the S7.  ;P

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #35 of 422
Anyone who has a place on the pre-order list and has not been sure of placing an order should consider it.

At less than a used Zana Deux & with newly-patented (okay, should-be patented) "cheap-tube EQ"...it is a winner.

I better stop "shilling" this amp until I have mine, I know.   
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #36 of 422

Quote:
Anyone who has a place on the pre-order list and has not been sure of placing an order should consider it.

At less than a used Zana Deux & with newly-patented (okay, should-be patented) "cheap-tube EQ"...it is a winner.

I better stop "shilling" this amp until I have mine, I know.   
wink.gif

Sigh, too bad I am not on the list and thus probably have to back down my interest on the amp.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #37 of 422
Can't wait to see your LCD3 plugged into the S7.  ;P
    I think I will wait a while and try the LCD2 rev2 with the Super 7.
    The LCD3 came out so fast after the LCD2 rev2 so I am afraid that
the better version (LCD3 rev2 or LCD4 ) will be around the corner soon.
If the price of LCD3  is less than 1200$ , it is easier to decide but probably not now.
    Do you really think that LCD3 is much better than the LCD2 rev1 or rev2
driven by BA?

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #38 of 422

Quote:
    Do you really think that LCD3 is much better than the LCD2 rev1 or rev2
driven by BA?  

I'm not the right person to ask about the LCD3 yet.  I had a horrible fit issue w/ the new pads and didn't dig the sound as a result.  I need to try another audition someday.  I did get to hear Craig's LCD2 r.2 and confirmed that sounded good as well.  

So far heard 3x LCD2 r.1s and 3xLCD2 r.2s and only liked 2 of the LCD2 r.2s from a batch of 6.  So not sure if I can say what the next LCD3 will sound like to my ears. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #39 of 422
I did hope to try an LCD-3 with the Super 7 this past weekend, but we didn't have a chance to get an early pair from Audeze.

So, I will be getting a pair of used HD800 & performing the "foam mods".

I'm sure I will have a chance to listen to the LCD3 w/Super 7 later.

shipsupt's pair of LCD-2 made a better impression on me (during our Matrix DAC meet) than the previous pair of LCD-2 I tried...

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #40 of 422
How would one identify a noisy tube out of the 7?

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #41 of 422
Nov 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #42 of 422
What about the 6 power tubes?
How would you identify a marginal tube?

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #43 of 422

Quote:
What about the 6 power tubes?
How would you identify a marginal tube?

I didn't imply I use the S7 as a tube tester to give me accurate capacitance numbers and such.  Just that I sweep the pot after I replace tubes and listen for noise after they warm up.  Obviously if the 6 output power tubes produce no audible noise then using the driver as the variable makes sense.  Did I say something vague you might be misinterpreting?  I don't get what's complicated about hearing noise from a tube you just replaced?

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #44 of 422
Excellent review, particularly as a direct comparison between the BA and S7!  I admit the review's sparked my curiosity about the S7, and I'll now be following news on it more actively.

I'm glad you decided to put the deposit down on the S7, CEE TEE, and that it's everything you hoped for it to be
wink.gif
  Looking forwarding to hearing your S7 once it arrives!

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #45 of 422
I have asked Craig when I made a commitment on Super 7 about the ECC32 , ECC33.
He said that ECC 32 can be used as driver tube but not power tubes while the ECC33 can be
used as driver and power tubes.  Forgot to ask about the other tubes : 6SL7's, 6F8G's, 7N7's and other
including the Brimar CV1988/6SN7GTY (which should be alright). May be we need info. about
those tubes which can be used as driver and which can be used a power tubes and which can not be used
or do not recommend. 
In order not to be confused where the noise come from if there is, I think I will only use strong test
or mint matched pair of 6SN7's, will that help ? 
Using marginal tube is quite a different concept from the tubes used in the BHSE because they will use
perfectly matched quad of EL34's  or 6DJ8's   or at least 2 matched pairs.  Perfectly matched tubes are
more important that the brand of  tubes used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back