REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #76 of 422
For the LCD2 or LCD3 setup, I will use 2 Sylvania 6SN7W + 2 Fivre 6SN7's + 2 Toshiba 6SN7GTb's
   @Anaxilus : I just followed your and Marv's idea to use 3 different sets of tubes : Sylvania 6SN7W for the dynamic
bass (I don't worry about the bass impact or quantity of the bass of LCD's),  SICTE or  Fivre (for neutrality and big soundstage
which may be lacking in LCD's),  Toshiba's are  just similar to Swedish Standard or Westinghouse or Telefunken 6SN7GTA , but
cheaper for treble extension (I do not want to try 1578 which may be too bright).   Tungsol BGRP as driver for obvious reason : one of
the very best 6SN7's with excellent dynamicity and end of spectrum extensions.

2 Kenrad VT231's+ 2 National Union 6F8G's round plate +
2 Tungsol 6F8G's with ECC32 for the warm set up for HD800?
  @Anaxilus :  The same as your and Marv's warm sounding setup for HD800.   KenRad VT231 for bass quantity and impact,
National Union for   sweet meaty organic midrange ,  Tungsol 6F8G's round plate which are cheaper than  (but may be better)  the
Tungsol black glass  round plate  for treble extension.  Yes, it is Mullard ECC32 (or may be GEC B65), another one of the best driver of
6SN7's compatible (but can not be used as power) to increase the sound thickness of HD800.  I don't worry much about the soundstage for
HD800 because they have plenty of that.

I will go from there and adjust different set of tubes according to your and Marv's concept.  I don't have tube filler here.

seeing some (at least 3
biggrin.gif
) of us are expanding our tube stashes already heh.

@xchagg Dear Super 7 , please arrive as soon as possible or my Christmas present will be several sets of tubes instead of the Super 7.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 422
It hasn't convinced me that I'm not crazy for having acquired a bunch of Sylvania JAN 6SN7Ws and a pair of KenRads in advance of having the actual amp, but it's somehow comforting to see that I am not alone. 

purrin and anaxilus, thanks for the updates.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #87 of 422
^Darn it, I thought this thread was getting some traction.
^^Darn it, I thought this thread was getting some traction.
^^^Darn it, I thought this thread was getting some traction.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #88 of 422
@CeeTee Sorry for the mistake,  I will not try to send messages from my office again.  I tried to delete but I cannot do the whole message.
It's not  that I want to increase the number of my threads although it may work for that purpose.
I have received the Tungsol 6F8G's and the National Union 68FG's today.  Both of them are round plate, very rare tubes.
Craig said that I can use 4-6 6F8G's without any problem.  I cannot find the Kenrad 6F8G's especially the roundplate.
I have a pair of Raytheon 6F8G's but they are not round plates.
Using with my BA + WE300B, they sound wonderfully beautiful.  Both of them have very sweet mid with huge soundstages.
They have to go into the super 7.
@Stavros : what would you like to use if you have the super 7 and you have three pairs of power tubes and one driver to choose to use
with HD800 and LCD's

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #89 of 422
Congratulations on your tubes.
The round plate structure of the NU is different from the TS.

I would use:
Driver: Brimar CV1988
1st Pair: RCA Gray Glass 6SN7GT
2nd Pair:Sylvania 6SN7W Short Bottle, (Lower Mica Inside Base)
3rd Pair: NU 6F8G

This is a wild guess, but all above are some of my favorite tubes.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #90 of 422
@kiertijai: 
tongue.gif
  no problem, I know you didn't mean to!  Just got excited to see what was going on...thanks for posting tube experience and info.

I'm going to have to tube hunt soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back