REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Dec 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #107 of 422

Quote:
I can use my BA to drive the AKG K1000 and HE6 at 2 oclock by setting
the output of Weiss DAC 202 to 3V with balanced in and out.
I think the output of super 7 is About 2.5 watts, 3V in should drive the K1000
This is the info from Craig, so I am happy that it can drive both phones
even I use unbalanced in and balanced out.

I know the original transformer design he was shooting for was 6 watts.  He was saying if the supplier ever comes through we'll ave the option to change 'em out.  I don't think he'd mind too much as there's probably less than 10 of us.  All I know is I reserved 007 on the S7, otherwise would have been 002.  =P

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #109 of 422

Quote:
@Anaxilus what is the difference between 007 and 002?
                   which one produce 6 Watts output?
many thanks

Just the production number.  Same amp build.  Since 001 was taken I just went for 007 to keep w/ the S7 theme.  The 6 watt comment was referring to the potential output of the prototype double C-core transformers that as of yet were not able to be produced to Craig's spec.  The production amps will be the Electra Print EI cores hitting 2, maybe 3 watts.

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #111 of 422
@Anaxilus : thanks for the info. I also asked Craig for the 009 number because the 001 was taken by Craig himself
in rememberance of the Stax 009 whose company was taken by Edifier.  I doubt that any excellent product will come
of the new Stax company.
@tme110   I think the super7 only have SE input.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #113 of 422
 Craig is waiting for the new transformer to try.  If it is better than the present one he will replace
without additional cost.  Because of Christmas time the delivery of the new transformer may be delayed.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #114 of 422
The new transformer is not better than the previous one so there will no change and the items
should be finished this year.
Any body knows the voltage input need for the super 7 to drive the AKG K1000 and HE6.  I was
told from Craig if the output was more than 3 should be fine.   I have asked because I may try
to drive my Quad 11L with the super7 speake out put post or even those of beta 22 balanced.
beerchug.gif

Can't no longer wait for my Christmas,  i think Santa is sometimes sick with minor problem.
hope he can come back full strength again soon.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #115 of 422
I'm interested in picking up a Super 7. If anyone has a change of mind and would like to give up his spot, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to take his place. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #116 of 422

Quote:
The new transformer is not better than the previous one so there will no change and the items
should be finished this year.

kiertijai,

Do you mean that the transformers will become available to Craig this year (only a few days off)?  Any idea when he may be ready to ship the Super 7s?

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #117 of 422
@ctemkin,
   The last 2-3 days I have chances to get information about super7 and he said that it has
arrived but it is not better than the Electra transformer.   He has got all the parts and he will
begin the assembly soon but it may not be ready for the Christmas and New Year that my
spouse will love this as a Christmas present for me (I have to order myself but I also need
to get her approval first).  I think it may be in January because all the PCB's are ready.
    BTW, I have tried to get the tubes to be used i.e.
Warm sounding set for HD800 :   Mullard ECC32 (driver) or B65, Tungsol VT99 round plate from 1940's,
National Union VT99 round plate, but I don't know the third one  may be Ken Rad 6F8G       or Ken Rad VT231
vs Sylvania 6SN7W metal base
Lean sound set for LCD2/3 :   Mullard ECC33 (driver), a pair of Swedish Standard or TFK 6SN7GTA, a pair
of SICTE 1940's  and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7W metal base
What do you think?

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #118 of 422
kiertijai,

I understand the need for prior approval; same here.

From what you say, it looks as if January is a real possibility; that would be nice.

I am a complete nooby regarding tube amplifiers--this will be my first one--and so I really can't advise on tube selection.  That said, I have collected a number of Sylvania 6sn7ws and Ken Rad VT231s, which appears to represent somewhat the same choices as you have made.  While I have an LCD2 and will no doubt try it on the Super 7, my main motivation is to use the Super 7 with my HD800.  I am hoping the Super 7 will, with the right set of tubes, bring up the bass and possibly soften the treble somewhat, while preserving all the other great characteristics of the HD800. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #119 of 422
@ctemkin,
     I think January is a real possibility.  Craig has found that the new transformer is not better.
     He said that if he found out that the new transformer is better, he would provide the new transformer
to us without any additional charge but we can choose the original transformer.
     In my warm sound preemptive tube rolling (those ideas are from Marv and Mike): I found out that
I preferred the VT99 more than the 6SN7's (especially with the skyrocketing price of the Tungsol BGRP)
so I will try to use the VT99's there .  I think the ECC32 or B65 may be too expensive so I think I will try the STC
CV1988 instead and I may prefer the Kenrad more now. The Sylvania 6SN7W  is also very good and have
more dynamic bass which should be better with the LCD2  rev1 but now I have the LCD3 (the one without
sample driver problem, I don't think it's the cable or not enough burnin) I may need the Sylvania less and I also have
 the Tungsol VT99 with should help in that regard also .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back