REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
Feb 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #136 of 422
I asked Craig about the electra a couple of days ago and he said it wasnt going to be there.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #137 of 422
I heard from the Bay area meeting that the super7 is much improved from the prototype
Please share more impressions.
BTW what are the tubes used in that meeting?  I think 3 pairs of reissue Tungsol 6SN7
but what is the driver with that adapter?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #138 of 422

Quote:
I heard from the Bay area meeting that the super7 is much improved from the prototype
Please share more impressions.
BTW what are the tubes used in that meeting?  I think 3 pairs of reissue Tungsol 6SN7
but what is the driver with that adapter?

looks like a 7n7

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #139 of 422
@IndieScent : thanks   I also think that it may be the 7N7 or 7AF7  ? Sylvania long bottle
I was informed all the 7N7's are Sylvania and long bottle sounds better than the short bottle
(which resemble 6SN7GTB).  So Craig is using all the inexpensive tubes and can make the super 7
sound very good. 
Then how's about the more expensive tubes like 6F8G's (Tungsol, NU) or 6C8G's ( KenRad, Raytheon)?
And how'as about the 6CG7's or 6GU7's : RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon which are cheaper and good sounding
can we use them with the super 7?

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #140 of 422
I just saw on the Eddie Current site that the Super 7s will ship this month.  Can't wait.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #141 of 422
So, did anyone not go for the coupling cap upgrade?
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #144 of 422
Went for the coupling cap upgrade...figure it must be better if offered as an upgrade for a <very slight> increase in price.

TRYING not to get too antsy but hope the S7 now arrives soon!!!

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #145 of 422
While discussing the Balancing Act with Craig, I touched on the Electra.  Here is what he had to say:

"The production Electra is nearing completion. The metal is finished, and the circuit board is being made. I hope to have the finished amp in March, production in April, delivery in May, price less than $3k.
The Electra is an all tube original design, 4 6SN7 tubes, and four 6L6GTB. Balanced input to output. Front panel has balanced, unbalanced input switch, bias adjust, and volume. The amp swings power, 40 watts of plate power per channel, 1800 volts peak to peak."

[note -this is not necessarily the final version but that's where he's at for now.  I was bracing myself for a price tag upwards of 5K...phew.]

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #146 of 422
Thought I would post this about the cap upgrade.  Based on some questions I asked:

"The S7 at the last meet had the cap upgrade, it is the same tin foil cap I use in the new BA’s. It sounds much better than the Chinese film caps, and better than the Russian Teflon caps I used to use in the BA. The only reason not to upgrade is the added cost."

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #147 of 422

Quote:
While discussing the Balancing Act with Craig, I touched on the Electra.  Here is what he had to say:

"The production Electra is nearing completion. The metal is finished, and the circuit board is being made. I hope to have the finished amp in March, production in April, delivery in May, price less than $3k.
The Electra is an all tube original design, 4 6SN7 tubes, and four 6L6GTB. Balanced input to output. Front panel has balanced, unbalanced input switch, bias adjust, and volume. The amp swings power, 40 watts of plate power per channel, 1800 volts peak to peak."

[note -this is not necessarily the final version but that's where he's at for now.  I was bracing myself for a price tag upwards of 5K...phew.]

I figured it would go up to $3K. Originally his target was around $2300, then $2700, etc.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #148 of 422

Quote:
the coupling cap upgrade
   I did not know that , what does it help?

Transparency / clarity.

In general, caps (in the signal path as it pertains here) tend to make things warm and thick sounding, not always a bad thing. I'm sure Craig chose a cap that maintained the existing tonality while offering more transparency. Probably accounts for why the few folks who heard the S7 proto earlier thought it sounded slightly better (and with mediocre tubes too) at the Bay Area meet.

I'm dreaming of using a BA as a pre-amp to power x2 S7s configured as monoblocks (or bi-amping) into high-efficiency speakers.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #149 of 422
I really need to hear one of the EC amps. Keeping an eye out for the Super 7, pissed that I missed out on the offer.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #150 of 422
Purrin,

I am looking to spend $4,000 on a high-end headphone amp. Already have HD800's and Ayre DAC (with balanced output option).

I am sold on Eddie Current but need your advice. Awhile back, you mentioned the Super 7 as getting awfully close to the BA in sound quality but your comments from the Bay Area meet seem to indicate the S7 production model was not even close to the BA or did I read you wrong? In your opinion, would you spend the $4,000 on a BA and get basic quality interconnects, get the S7 and all high-end interconnects (all balanced of course) or wait for the Electra which seems to be a BA for less?? Or is the 2A3 something to check out (although I don't need the speaker amp option).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back