REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared
Dec 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #196 of 368

Quote:

...... and I choose to buy audio equipment with my discretionary income, as opposed to fancy cars or hookers.

Thanks Rob....now I've got to run upstairs and get the Windex to clean off my laptop screen from the Pepsi spit take I just made.
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #197 of 368
Read your review 3 weeks too late - already got my AKG702.

Great review. Hope to see this in wiki someday so everyone can refer. A very clever way to put your reviews to uses / strengths / weaknesses. I particularly like the uses, give very clear indication which cans to go for base on genre preference. Addition to price point would be great though buyers could access these information easily.

Not necessary unbiased but a very truthful review with lots of facts to support your stand.

Solute you for giving a truthful 80% to classical for AKG702 even you dislike them. And you are absolutely correct about spending 5X on amp for 702 (ouch). 1 question with regards to AKG501 and AKG702 – With the right amp, does AKG501 still surpass AKG702? In what way?

P.S: Now I can go scold my westone3 owner friend – he always claims to prefer natural sound – He’s a bass head. :p

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #198 of 368
    Quote:
One benefit of being a Stax fan as opposed to the R10 is that they are still in active production and of course parts are readily available. The T2 is long gone, but the amps can be outsourced. The phones can't, and any Stax dealer can get you an Omega 2 today. The upcoming flagship could be even better. 

And this is one argument that's made me very interested in trying an 02 (and new Stax flagship) with a BHSE or WES, or even one of the orthos with the Pinnacle. If I can own a system that I like/love equally to my R10/SDS-XLR (BOTH are OOP, actually) that is actually in production and serviceable, then that would be a major advantage. I certainly have a fear of the day when my R10s eventually break down (I imagine the leather will before any of the actual audio parts), and having a quality back-up would definitely bring me some peace of mind.

Quote:
I just want to clarify, I'm certainly not in poverty level, but wealthy I wouldn't agree at all...... The shoes on my feet are ripped and I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years, I eat ramen noodles every night practically and I have no cable bill......all so that I can afford what I love.....
I have no family to support just yet and I manage to just scrape by for the bills.

Yeah, I'm quite similar. I've discovered that if I can cut expenses on every level then it's quite easy to afford "luxuries" if you're really willing to work/save for them. I'm also single, nobody to support, low rent, my entire wardrobe was free (thanks to my dad constantly getting free clothes from his work), I mainly live off cheap frozen dinners and water, I don't own a car (don't need one, actually)... About the only other major money I spend besides audio is my video system (just a few thousand), CDs, books, and Netflix (who needs cable with TV on DVD?).

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #202 of 368

You bachelors get to have all the fun, whatever you do when you get hitched, do not tell your wife how much your headphone gear is worth.  Trust me.  And you better learn how to scrounge and build amps/DAC's now cause its the only way to sneak a $5k amp into your possesion,  one part at a time
wink_face.gif

Quote:
. I'm also single,  

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #203 of 368

Quote:
You bachelors get to have all the fun, whatever you do when you get hitched, do not tell your wife how much your headphone gear is worth.  Trust me.  And you better learn how to scrounge and build amps/DAC's now cause its the only way to sneak a $5k amp into your possesion,  one part at a time
wink_face.gif

Hahaha. I find that I'm ok as long as I say that every new audio purchase was $400. I just bought a linestage for $400, and I'm on the lookout for a low power Class A amp like a First Watt or Threshold, which will also be $400. Everything is $400, and that way I don't get the "you paid what for that!?" face.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #204 of 368

Quote:
Quote:
wink_face.gif

Hahaha. I find that I'm ok as long as I say that every new audio purchase was $400. I just bought a linestage for $400, and I'm on the lookout for a low power Class A amp like a First Watt or Threshold, which will also be $400. Everything is $400, and that way I don't get the "you paid what for that!?" face.

We should start a thread on techniques to smuggle headphone gear into the houshold.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #205 of 368
I love to hear married people complain, it makes me feel so good about being single. When I walked in Bay and Bloor Audio to listen to DENON AH-D5000 and my girlfriend so a price, she said that she could think of so many things she could buy for 699 CAD.  She could spend her 699 anyway she likes :)

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #207 of 368
Quote:
We should start a thread on techniques to smuggle headphone gear into the houshold.

Hahaha, LOL, I would definitely subscribe that thread 
biggrin.gif

Oh ya, congrats Skylab!!!!!  I heard R10 bass light once, it's absolutely the best mids in the world.
I don't know if I can call that sound 'neutral', but heck with neutral, it's just darn NICE, it's really a WOW headphone, and it's just the 'bass light' version!  I have no idea how good the 'bass heavy' version is, ooohhh, so addictive.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #208 of 368

Quote:
David,

Whats the best soundstage in the mid-fi range in your opinion? <11º

Hey there,

Probably the K701/K702 and the DT880 are the best mid-fi cans in terms of emphasis on soundstage.  I think the DT880 are a better headphone but the K701 has a greater emphasis on soundstage.  I would post more but I'm outside.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #209 of 368
Skylab,

Congrats on acquiring the R10.  I'm assuming you bought Arron's?  We are looking forward for your review.  Don't expect massive bass response even for a bass heavy pair.  The R10's bass is tad less in quantity than those of the HD-800 but just as wonderful.

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #210 of 368

Skylab,

Congrats on acquiring the R10.  I'm assuming you bought Arron's?  We are looking forward for your review.  Don't expect massive bass response even for a bass heavy pair.  The R10's bass is tad less in quantity than those of the HD-800 but just as wonderful.

Thanks. Yes, I bought Aaron's pair. Fortunately I have heard Ray Samuels pair quite a few times, so I know pretty well how they sound - and they sound great :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back