REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared
Dec 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #181 of 368

Quote:
This thread, and the ensuing comments about the R10, have cost me a LOT of money, I thought you all should know
atsmile.gif

Ha! Did you go with the bass heavy R10?

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #182 of 368
Dec 10, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #183 of 368

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
This thread, and the ensuing comments about the R10, have cost me a LOT of money, I thought you all should know
atsmile.gif

Yup.  They will be wrapped and sitting under the tree until Dec 25, though
wink_face.gif

If there's someone in the head-fi community who will be having a better Christmas day than you, I'd like to know who that is!! :-D

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #184 of 368
The R10 is really a singularity and not relavent today.  They were built in a small volume probably at a loss and are now obsolete in that you can't buy them can't get them serviced,  really a novelty.   If you are independantly wealthy go for it and buy a couple (you will need parts)  otherwise don't sacrifice your families finacial well being or your childrens education fund for an obscure headphone. JMHO.

No offense to David but he seems obsessed with buying the most expensive equipment he can get his hands on and loves to post about ,  obviously a very wealthy individual and I hate to see others not as fortunate sacrifice their financial  well being to keep up with the jones's.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #185 of 368

Quote:
The R10 is really a singularity and not relavent today.  They were built in a small volume probably at a loss and are now obsolete in that you can't buy them can't get them serviced,  really a novelty.   If you are independantly wealthy go for it and buy a couple (you will need parts)  otherwise don't sacrifice your families finacial well being or your childrens education fund for an obscure headphone. JMHO.

No offense to David but he seems obsessed with buying the most expensive equipment he can get his hands on and loves to post about ,  obviously a very wealthy individual and I hate to see others not as fortunate sacrifice their finacial well being to keep up with the jones's.

I would never sacrifice my family's well being for anything.  I'm not that kind of guy.  Fortunately, however, I make a very good living, and I choose to buy audio equipment with my discretionary income, as opposed to fancy cars or hookers.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #186 of 368

Quote:
Quote:

No offense to David but he seems obsessed with buying the most expensive equipment he can get his hands on and loves to post about ,  obviously a very wealthy individual and I hate to see others not as fortunate sacrifice their finacial well being to keep up with the jones's.

I would never sacrifice my family's well being for anything.  I'm not that kind of guy.  Fortunately, however, I make a very good living, and I choose to buy audio equipment with my discretionary income, as opposed to fancy cars or hookers.

I was commenting toward the general audience and not anyone specific.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #188 of 368

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
atsmile.gif

Yup.  They will be wrapped and sitting under the tree until Dec 25, though
wink_face.gif

I tried that last year with my HD800s. On Christmas morning our older son (3 then) could be heard saying "Pirate head! Pirate head!"

Moments later our one year-old appeared with his new pirate hat: brand-new HD800s sitting skewed on his head and the cord worn like a sash round his middle. My heart stopped -- and not with the tidings of joy, I can assure you. Any more presents like that will be wrapped in chain mail.

A great list indeed -- many thanks for taking the time to compile it, DavidM and thanks also to those who weighed in along the way.

o

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #189 of 368

Quote:
atsmile.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your... waitaminnit...

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #190 of 368
Dec 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #191 of 368

Quote:
No offense to David but he seems obsessed with buying the most expensive equipment he can get his hands on and loves to post about ,  obviously a very wealthy individual and I hate to see others not as fortunate sacrifice their financial  well being to keep up with the jones's.

I just want to clarify, I'm certainly not in poverty level, but wealthy I wouldn't agree at all...... The shoes on my feet are ripped and I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years, I eat ramen noodles every night practically and I have no cable bill......all so that I can afford what I love.....
I have no family to support just yet and I manage to just scrape by for the bills.

Wealthy I'm not, but I do spend way out of my means and I'm probably more irresponsible or crazy than I am wealthy :p just saying, but don't quote me hahah

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #193 of 368

Quote:
Thank you for featuring Denon!
gs1000.gif

Excuse my bluntness, but did you have to quote the huge post in full? Although I certainly didn't mind looking at the Ed. 8 LEs a second time.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I just want to clarify, I'm certainly not in poverty level, but wealthy I wouldn't agree at all...... The shoes on my feet are ripped and I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years, I eat ramen noodles every night practically and I have no cable bill......all so that I can afford what I love.....
I have no family to support just yet and I manage to just scrape by for the bills.

Wealthy I'm not, but I do spend way out of my means and I'm probably more irresponsible or crazy than I am wealthy :p just saying, but don't quote me hahah

Better eschew a pair of headphones for a pair of shoes, I think. And by "ramen," I'm assuming you refer to cup noodles, not the kind sold in restaurants. Sorry, misuse of "ramen" is a pet peeve of mine.

That being said, I'd bet it all feels worth it when you listen to your setup - well, that's how I feel when I sit down and listen. Even after reading about your lifestyle, I'm still envious. Thousands of CDs, and some of the best headphones/amps...that should be enough to last you through an apocalypse or two.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #194 of 368

Quote:

As much as I love my audio gear, I love eating even more. I've also got pesky things like mortgage payments that get in the way of buying toys (I don't love that part). So for the most part I just play around in mid-fi because the individual component costs are easy (relatively) on the wallet. I admit there's a part of me that says just sell off a few pieces and buy a big set and be happy with it... but I don't think I would be. Half the fun for me is constantly trying out new things and tweaking. I am at the point where moving sideways is enjoyable because it brings new sounds. Moving up, while nice, is such a big diminishing return that I lose my mid-fi toys to play with.

I guess at the heart of it, I just like to have options and versatility. OR... I could eat noodles every night and have the crazy options like David. Hmm...

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #195 of 368
Ok, now I simply can't wait for the arrival of my LCD 2 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back