REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared
Nov 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #76 of 368
Funny I keep reading that the electrostatics like the STAX 007 are like perfect and better than the LCD-2/HE-6. Not that I know anything about this stuff. What didn't you like about the STAX headphones compared to the headphones you ranked above them?

Just curious again lol. . . 

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #77 of 368

Quote:
I will definitely add more tomorrow and answer a lot of questions....it's Thanksgiving so I can't be on here too much :frowning2:

But....

I want to clarify that

I feel that any of the top 6 in my comparison could be ranked  at #1 by different ears, with the exception that I suspect that the R10s will most frequently be placed at the top.  What I mean by this is if every head-fier had the opportunity to sample every single headphone in my comparison, one of these six would be their top choice...at least 90% I believe would pick one of these 6 as their top choice (unless IEMs was their preference).
  1. R10
  2. LCD2
  3. HE-6
  4. HD800
  5. K1000
  6. T1

After that I consider the following 5 second tier but by second tier I don't think that they can't be loved more than some headphones in the first tier by some people.  What I mean is I don't think anyone who had the opportunity to sample all 20 in the comparison would place any of these higher the 2nd place in their ranking.  The
  1. HD650
  2. HD600
  3. K501
  4. Edition 8
  5. Denon D7000

After that I consider the following 6 headphones 3rd tier, meaning if someone had the chance to sample all 20 headphones, I couldn't foresee any of these making higher than 3rd place
  1. UE10
  2. Westone 3
  3. K701
  4. HD950
  5. SA5000
  6. DT770

After that I feel that the rest is far away from first tier.....I would say....the others would never make it into top 10 on anyone's list who got to hear all the headphones included.

I enjoyed reading your ranking of headphones and appreciate the effort that you have made. However, I think it's presumptuous to suggest how other people would rank them based on your own listening experiences. As you state in your OP, it's your opinion and you have made a valuable contribution to the ongoing discussions and debates at Head-Fi. 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #78 of 368

Quote:
Quote:
I will definitely add more tomorrow and answer a lot of questions....it's Thanksgiving so I can't be on here too much :frowning2:

But....

I want to clarify that

I feel that any of the top 6 in my comparison could be ranked  at #1 by different ears, with the exception that I suspect that the R10s will most frequently be placed at the top.  What I mean by this is if every head-fier had the opportunity to sample every single headphone in my comparison, one of these six would be their top choice...at least 90% I believe would pick one of these 6 as their top choice (unless IEMs was their preference).
  1. R10
  2. LCD2
  3. HE-6
  4. HD800
  5. K1000
  6. T1

After that I consider the following 5 second tier but by second tier I don't think that they can't be loved more than some headphones in the first tier by some people.  What I mean is I don't think anyone who had the opportunity to sample all 20 in the comparison would place any of these higher the 2nd place in their ranking.  The
  1. HD650
  2. HD600
  3. K501
  4. Edition 8
  5. Denon D7000

After that I consider the following 6 headphones 3rd tier, meaning if someone had the chance to sample all 20 headphones, I couldn't foresee any of these making higher than 3rd place
  1. UE10
  2. Westone 3
  3. K701
  4. HD950
  5. SA5000
  6. DT770

After that I feel that the rest is far away from first tier.....I would say....the others would never make it into top 10 on anyone's list who got to hear all the headphones included.

I enjoyed reading your ranking of headphones and appreciate the effort that you have made. However, I think it's presumptuous to suggest how other people would rank them based on your own listening experiences. As you state in your OP, it's your opinion and you have made a valuable contribution to the ongoing discussions and debates at Head-Fi. 
smile.gif

It's definitely an opinion, but my intent in this statement you quote above is less about me asserting my rankings and more about me inferring that the top 6 headphones I feel could all be ranked at someone's no. 1, whereas the following five I don't predict would eve fall into someone's number one position.

So I think this could very easily be someone's top 5.....

1. T1
2. Edition 8
3. LCD2
4. K701
5. R10

That's just an example of what I was trying to say.....I do feel the Top 6 offer the best sound for each criteria so for instance, if someone is a soundstage fanatic, I feel they would choose the K1000 or HD800.  If someone likes a closed headphone which is great with bass, I think they would choose the R10 (bass heavy)... Unlike the earlier R10s which are bass light, the later ones are not ported.  I feel that the R10 and D7000 are similar in sound, but I cannot imagine someone preferring the D7000 because they are both shooting at the same target.  That's just what I am trying to say. But someone could certainly prefer the D7000 over the HD800, they are aiming at entirely different things.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #79 of 368
of course. this like everything on this site is subjective. not everyone would agree or disagree with the op. i would however like to thank him for the time he took to compile this list.

i will throw in all that i listen to now but in no particular order. i think they all are great.

he90(which he has not heard, i wonder what he would think)
ps1k
o2 mkII

the other intresting thing is i listen to the ps1k through a cullen gcha. i think a lot of people would be surprised just how good that amp is. even stock, it is s steal at the current price.
also of note is that he does not seem to favor the ps1k and i have the r10 in a drawer right now(it is not for sale though). i suppose (john) grado and i hear things much the same.

i will add: this is of course my subjective opinion. the only real way to know what any given person likes best is to listen imo.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #80 of 368

Quote:
Headphones which I have never owned but either auditioned in my home or had extensive time with at meets (in order of best to worst personal preference of sound): Stax Omega 2 MKI
Stax Omega 2 MKII
Stax SR-404LE
Stax SR-404
Grado PS1000

Please state the meets that you've attended along with your definition of "extensive time".

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #82 of 368

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But....

I want to clarify that

1. R10
  2. LCD2
  3. HE-6
  4. HD800
  5. K1000
  6. T1

1. HD650
  2. HD600
  3. K501
  4. Edition 8
  5. Denon D7000

1. UE10
  2. Westone 3
  3. K701
  4. HD950
  5. SA5000
  6. DT770

smile.gif

It's definitely an opinion, but my intent in this statement you quote above is less about me asserting my rankings and more about me inferring that the top 6 headphones I feel could all be ranked at someone's no. 1, whereas the following five I don't predict would eve fall into someone's number one position.

So I think this could very easily be someone's top 5.....

1. T1
2. Edition 8
3. LCD2
4. K701
5. R10

That's just an example of what I was trying to say.....I do feel the Top 6 offer the best sound for each criteria so for instance, if someone is a soundstage fanatic, I feel they would choose the K1000 or HD800.  If someone likes a closed headphone which is great with bass, I think they would choose the R10 (bass heavy)... Unlike the earlier R10s which are bass light, the later ones are not ported.  I feel that the R10 and D7000 are similar in sound, but I cannot imagine someone preferring the D7000 because they are both shooting at the same target.  That's just what I am trying to say. But someone could certainly prefer the D7000 over the HD800, they are aiming at entirely different things.

But that's my point, you are surmising. For example, your claim that 90% of all Head-Fier's would choose one of your top six ranked headphones as their top choice is without any factual basis. It's conjecture predicated on your belief that other Head-Fiers would or should share your listening preferences. At the very least you would have to conduct a survey of all Head-Fiers to determine if your assertion has any credence.   

It's one thing to rank headphones in order of your personal preference, but it's quite another to presume that others will agree with your findings. These forum threads are testament to the subjective nature of this hobby, and the diversity of Head-Fiers listening experiences, preferences and opinions.

I'm genuinely impressed by the number of headphones that you have owned and heard, and I think that your headphone comparison is excellent. However, I also think that it is only prudent to refrain from making sweeping generalisations based on your own subjective listening experiences. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #83 of 368
To be fair, I think what David is saying is in his opinion.  He did say 90% and things like that.  I think it's an interesting idea to make these tiers based on the best headphones for different goals.  It seems somewhat likely that someone could prefer the HD600 to the K1000 (I do), but it seems less likely that someone would prefer the HD600 to all the phones in his "tier 1". 

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #85 of 368
Any list of preference, "best sounding" is going to be subjective. We all should except that as a given. It matters not where someone places your favouite headphone in any partyicular list. For me the best sounding/performing, depends on my mood at the time and the music I select to listen to.  David has taken 20 headphones and described their strenghts and weaknesses succinctly as he sees it, then ranked then according to his preferences, end of story. Not everyone is going to agree with his evaluations of each headphone, and more particularly not everyone is going to concur with his hierarchical lists, so what? I personally think that "this headphone is better than that headphone" is way too subjective and of not much use for comparison purposes. I prefer- "this headphone is more based focussed, or this headphone has greater soundstage etc, rather than this headphone is "BETTER", and therefore I rank it higher.  However, David has published a first class review of a lot of top flight headphones and I for one think it is a useful and insightful comparison, despite the fact that I may not agree with his ranking system. Yes of course it is subjective, headphone appreciation will always be.  I have disagreed with David's views/values over certain things, but I take my hat off to him, excellent original post.

Edit: I ahve read this post several times and have edited it accordingly, as I have had a fair few Ausie largers and am a little blunt (not very sharp) at the moment.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #86 of 368
^ I'm not sure whether you're responding to my posts but if you are then you've missed the point. I'm not referring to David's OP but to his subsequent post - #68. If I praise him any more than I already have for his headphone comparison it'll border on sycophantic. Cheers.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #87 of 368
This was an amazing write-up and a very fun read! From those I've heard I agreed with your impressions almost entirely, and I would rank them the same as well. Only one thing in your post really made me do a double-take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Sony MDR-R10 (bass heavy version) with balanced stock 4-pin
Weaknesses: Other headphones are preferable for classical depending on my mood. 

This astonished me coming from someone who loves the R10 as much as I do (it seems)! The R10 is the only headphone I've ever had that literally made me fall in love with new genres of music, and one of those genres was classical! To this day, I've tried a lot of headphones on various systems with classical recordings and I always find myself missing the magic of the R10s. So you got me curious: what other headphones do you find preferable on classical and why? I'm guessing it's probably some I haven't heard.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #88 of 368
Thanks for the interesting read.

Would you happen to have a chance to evaluate the ATH W1000X anytime soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back