[REVIEW] 18 IEM reviewed and compared!!! (Final update NOV 2, 08)
Jul 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 335
A great comparative review. It makes me wish that I had bigger ear canals!

(Assuming that mine are on the smaller side based on various levels of discomfort and dislodging of past earbuds, etc.)

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #48 of 335
If I use the small single flanges on the sony type canal phones, would I have fit issues using the bi flanged RE1?

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #49 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I use the small single flanges on the sony type canal phones, would I have fit issues using the bi flanged RE1?

The big bi-flanges might not fit well if you have small canal, but RE1 does come with small bi-flanges and Sony style single flanges, but them provide less isolation.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #50 of 335
I think I may have found the EX700s true niche...

Unless my ears are completely screwed up (which I will not rule out lol) - The EX700s go very well with the Touch headphone out (32GB version, just incase v1.5 had any changes to the output)

Pretty much all traces of the harsh treble are gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #51 of 335
EX700 isn't too bad if I can keep the volume down. The harshness (on normal volume) actually give it slightly more treble/detail (on lower volume) than my other IEM (beside Ety). I think my problem is, I tend to turn it up a bit because it doesn't isolate as well as other, and than the harshness gets to me
frown.gif

I have roughly double the burn-in time after the review, so far not much has changed. I do hope the treble can quiet down but I guess it is a long shot.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #52 of 335
great review but two minor points: would love to have had you include some big symphonies as your musical test, only because I find the Sleek properly ported treble and bass often outperformed the Triples, esp. in big Mahler symphonies--instruments with choir, that kinda thing--or Bach's B Minor Mass. Minor point, though.

Also be aware that I had two Sleeks returned to soundearphones, Michael told me to contact sleek, which I did, and Json very graciously took back the second faulty pair and told me they had since brought all manufacturing "in house" rather than relying on overseas' manufacturing. Point is, those who have some faulty parts may have those Sleeks that were NOt made here but overseas somewhere. A factor worth investigating.

Otherwise, great work. hate to nit-pick but some of us on here Do listen to classical works as well as other musical varieties

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #53 of 335
I do include a Yanni, which I guess is closest to symphonies as I can get
redface.gif
. I don't really have any good classical music to put in anyway. The only classical CD I really like (and familiar with) is actually Chinese symphonies, which is mainly played with Asian instruments that I don't think most Head-fi'ers will be familiar with (thus I didn't include it in).

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #54 of 335
How come no review or comments on the Sennheiser CX500 model?
confused.gif
I have the CX500 and it's an excellent IEM with very high efficiency and clear bass and midrange.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #55 of 335
Do your own review then -I'm sure it'd be helpful to some, & you would've filled the void you mention
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #56 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come no review or comments on the Sennheiser CX500 model?
confused.gif
I have the CX500 and it's an excellent IEM with very high efficiency and clear bass and midrange.
smily_headphones1.gif

Only if Sennheiser actually starts selling anything better than CX300 locally (and I mean 'locally' as the whole South East Asia). I must admit I am a bit disappointed with Senn. Asia as they are still trying to sell some two years old stock to us...

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #58 of 335
Quote:

Originally Posted by dansta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is Harman Kardon EP 730 the same thing as im716...which amp do you suggest?

Yes, they are the same. Try looking into SkyLab's amp review in the protable amp forum to find an amp that fit your budget.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #59 of 335
I just got an Altec Lansing iM616 for like $31+tax, was going to resale them but they are only $50-80 online. So I decided to try them out and I was pretty amazed. Although the triple flange didn't seal well at all, the foams were perfect. The sound is very clear and crisp. Highs are very good but bass is a bit weak. It's just a bit under what I'm used to but it is very good tight bass. The foams isolate noise very very well. I am now going to use these over my EX90s
smily_headphones1.gif
. These are better in almost every way besides the shiny looks and the heavier bass on the EX90. Oh, I kinda modded (cut some sleeving off) the plug to fit my iPhone too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #60 of 335
Updated info with adjustment to the the ranking, will be adding MDR-EX85SL in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back