Revamp Acoustics
Jan 15, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #666 of 765
@tjstyle how difficult would it be to implement .opus audio format in the P1? it's free open source, at least two times more efficient than mp3 in SQ with a very small footprint, both is size and cpu usage.
all the tools and info can be found here https://www.opus-codec.org. Just wondering if that is feasible, thank you

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #667 of 765
Reading the opus FAQ at your link I'm not seeing the claim you've made (twice as efficient as mp3). Seems its optimized for lowest latency (delay) which is something not particularly important in a music player. Its notable that opus doesn't support 44k1 directly so any RBCD material would need resampling.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #668 of 765
@Sapientiam

here is one test http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm twice as efficient may be an overstatement from my part, from what I could gather, a 192kb/s opus files is equivalent to a 320kb/s mp3, of course this is subjective,
I overlooked the absence of native 44.1khz support. not sure if it's big deal with nowadays resampling algorithms? I am not expert on this subject.
Opus has been adopted as a web standard and is currently used by youtube, soundcloud, spotify among others,
If it's easy to implement, it could save storage, battery life and the transition would be painless since its already natively supported by windows/mac/linux android/ios

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #669 of 765
If the comparison of 192k opus was against 320k mp3 and there was no subjective difference that would be a datapoint. However 320k mp3 would be constant bit-rate, whereas a variable bit rate mp3 (where the max is 320k) may well be the same size as a 192k opus and sound no different. Its quite possible that opus' apparent advantage is coming from its flexibility in handling a wide variety of bit-rates.
A resampling algorithm still takes up CPU resources on something 'bare-metal' as TJ has in his P1 - both MIPs and flash memory space. This could only mean a downside for battery life, having to do more processing.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #671 of 765
thank you Tj

by the way, I want to say, for the curious waiting for a new batch of nuansa P1, definitely go get the amp, the A1. I can't live without it now, the sound is so good from these, bring the best out of any earbuds I own. I tried out of my zishan z2 line out for a bit and I didn't hear an obvious downgrade compare to nuansa P1 line out. Made me wonder if I would have been satisfied enough with the A1 alone.
With high gain, i only need to go below 50% of volume to feed 600ohm earbuds on high volume.

I wouldn't call the sound neutral, it is rich and detailed, with body. on the warm side, very musical. tames the peaks an earphone could have.
Similar to the nuansa P1 sound signature perhaps but more mature and lean.
I believe I heard for the first time how the VE Duke was intended to sound like with this amp.
on a general note, If I could compare the nuansa house sound to aune m1s, it is much more versatile and musical.
For example an old folk rock production would sound dry and thin out of the aune, a vintage production with "blurry" synthesizer (Gigi Masin) would be overly sharp.
It just sounds great and natural out of nuansa gear. Feels like hearing it the way it should be.
With modern "Hi-Fi" productions (like Bjork) and classical, the aune sounds still excellent and maybe be of better value.
aune is comparable to a top end 4K monitor picture
nuansa more like a master painting from the classical era

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #672 of 765
Mine started by red light on plus green light on and off at about 5 second intervals. Now I get a short flash of red light when I plug in the charger then nothing. I am using a JRC2068 opamp and it sounds really fine. I have been mostly using mine via line-out to my desktop amp.
What do you like about the 2068 over the ADA4004-2?

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #673 of 765
It is more lifelike tonally without any spikes in the mids or highs. Extremely even in response from lows through highs. Lots of space and a very clean background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back