Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Oct 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,236 of 2,480
  The Concero HD and Modi Multibit are completely different animals. The former is a 32 bit design and the latter is 16 bit ladder, so for playing back a 24 bit file, it will literally throw away 8 bits of resolution. The only advantage between the Modi and an older ladder DAC is that down conversion is done within the DAC and not on the computer. Also no DSD on the Modi. 

I know ladder DAC's are all the rage now but they are not all created equal....

Ohh, that I did not know. What is "ladder"? R2R is very hyped here now so I wondered if it was worth trying. I am looking for a good dac to replace my modi 1, which has become the bottleneck in my system. I might just jump on the concero.

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,237 of 2,480
It is very hyped indeed. And to think that very highly regarded traditional R2R DACs were pretty much worthless and obsolete not so long ago. Consider that Schitt's main guy Mike Moffat thinks the Burr Brown PCM63 was the best DAC ever made.

I have just upgraded to a very expensive DAC, but I absolutely love my Concero HD. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,238 of 2,480
Apparently the HD comes without a remote. How do I change the filter settings? Is default filter just direct out?

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,240 of 2,480
I am getting a soft "clicking/tapping" noise using this dac. Sounds digital, might be a pattern just under the music. Switched amps, still there. Switched headphones, still there. Going back to my modi 1 the sound is gone. You guys think the concero is defective or I am getting usb noise that could not be heard through the modi 1?

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,241 of 2,480
Hey there Concero-ites, I'm a once-upon-a-time HP owner looking to grab either an HD or HP again. I remember it quite fondly, and for someone who considers small footprints a plus, this guy is at the top of my list. If you've got one to sell/trade, please shoot me a PM. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,242 of 2,480
Hey people,

i have a question regarding usb and S/PDIF.

Can i connect an ifi purifier2 and aqvox powersupply into the usb port of the Concero HD and then listen with S/PDIF Input Selected so the DAC gets power from usb port and the sound comes from S/PDIF Input?

I hope someone can help me out there.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,243 of 2,480
  Hey people,

Can i connect an ifi purifier2 and aqvox powersupply into the usb port of the Concero HD and then listen with S/PDIF Input Selected so the DAC gets power from usb port and the sound comes from S/PDIF Input?

In theory, it should work. Listening to the coaxial input always requires power to be fed over USB. So that's not unexpected for the Concero. The problem might be the other two devices, and whether or not they confuse things in any way. Seems like it should be fine but I really don't know for sure.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,244 of 2,480
allright then, thank you project86

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,245 of 2,480
  Hey people,

I only have an AQVox PSU so will try it here and see if it works. I presume you already have an Apple remote to change the direction of the SPDIF?

I'm surprised how much the Concero sound improved through the external PSU. Also slight improvement this way as a USB->SPDIF converter.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,246 of 2,480
Hey daerron,

if you remember, we already chatted in the Aqvox USB PSU thread i think :)
yes i have an Apple Remote and i think i will add my Aqvox into the mix, right now i have only the ifi purifier.2 selected. But i will use my Asio drivers to listen to from Foobar.
I've listened to my Hifiman HE-500 which sound really nice the last 1 1/2 years since i moved, just today installed my Wharfedale 10.1 speakers, tommorrow i will connect them, looking forward to try my Concero HD on Speakers.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #2,247 of 2,480
  Hey daerron,

if you remember, we already chatted in the Aqvox USB PSU thread i think :)
yes i have an Apple Remote and i think i will add my Aqvox into the mix, right now i have only the ifi purifier.2 selected. But i will use my Asio drivers to listen to from Foobar.
I've listened to my Hifiman HE-500 which sound really nice the last 1 1/2 years since i moved, just today installed my Wharfedale 10.1 speakers, tommorrow i will connect them, looking forward to try my Concero HD on Speakers.

Verified that it works with the AQVox only. I actually haven't used the AQVox with the Concero previously as I could not get it to work and loaned the PSU to a friend, but I recently got it back and this time didn't have any issues. Two up presses of the Apple remote and I started getting sound out of my CD transport connected to the Concero using the SPDIF input, took a fraction to get the clock lock so you'll see the LED briefly in red before turning blue. Sounds pretty decent.

Btw, enjoy your Wharfedale 10.1 speakers, they are very nice speakers for the money!

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,248 of 2,480
Just FYI but I'm selling my Concero HD if anyone is interested 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831246/resonessence-concero-hd-dac

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,249 of 2,480
Are there digitally signed versions of the USB drivers for Windows 10? I have the original Concero and have recently rebuilt my PC with WIn10. The drivers on the Resonessence site seem to cause issue unless you turn off digital signing which is a bit of a pain but doable.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,250 of 2,480
Asking Mark for new Firmware fo the Concero line he answered me this:

"There are currently no updates that have been published for CONCERO.
This is now a mature product and all of the features that we wanted to
add are current. I will ask for our web site to be edited."
Mark M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back