Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,207 of 2,480
Hello there,

i have a question, what input should i use when i'm having the S/PDIF (analog) plugged in and a Power supply into the usb port of the Concero HD. Should i use S/PDIF Input or Analog Output or Power on State (Both Analog output and S/PDIF output enabled)?

What might be the best solution?

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2,208 of 2,480
Today i tried the analogue SPDIF Cable and the sound has air between instruments and it sounds a tad darker without being muffled, more solid with a black, silent background. I compared the Concero HD to my onboard soundcard and it is indeed much more pleasant to listen to, i don't even tried the USB on the Concero because i don't care for now, i'm just listening to the analogue output.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,209 of 2,480
  Today i tried the analogue SPDIF Cable and the sound has air between instruments and it sounds a tad darker without being muffled, more solid with a black, silent background. I compared the Concero HD to my onboard soundcard and it is indeed much more pleasant to listen to, i don't even tried the USB on the Concero because i don't care for now, i'm just listening to the analogue output.

I have a question, SPDIF is same as optical right? I am trying to figure out a way to get optical input working with the Concero HP for console gaming. Any idea how I might do it?

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,210 of 2,480

I have a question, SPDIF is same as optical right? I am trying to figure out a way to get optical input working with the Concero HP for console gaming. Any idea how I might do it?

Phew, good question. I'll let other chime in with more knowledge than me. but i think there is an analoge spdif which is basically a coax chinch cable and an optical Spdif cable exists also.

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,211 of 2,480

You will need a optical to coax convertor. The usb needs to be plugged in for power also. So a walwart of some type will have to be used.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,212 of 2,480
So over 350 hours of listening i can definitely say that i love the sound of this nice little device.

I'm using Fidelizer with it and it seems to me that it fleshes out the differences even further compared to my realtek onboard.

I'm assuming that fidelizer does something to the sound because with fidelizer on, even the onboard sounds warmer through my AKG K501, but of course the Concero HD rocks in an entirely different league. More depth and better instrument
placement, blacker background, better PRAT, more air, etc.

I never thought the Concero HD will have that much of a transformation after feeding it with 300+ listening time.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,213 of 2,480
  So over 350 hours of listening i can definitely say that i love the sound of this thing.
I'm using Fidelizer with it and it seems to me that it fleshes out the differences even further compared to my realtek onboard.
I'm assuming that fidelizer does something to the sound because with fidelizer on, even the onboard sounds warmer through my AKG K501, but of course the Concero HD plays in an entirely different league. More depth, blacker background, better PRAT, more air, etc.

I never thought the Concero HD will have that much of a transformation after feeding it with 300+ listening time.

I hear you. I miss mine. I was using my Concero HD for double duty. I was using it on my work computer (with speakers), then I'd bring it home nights to use on the headphone rig with the WA7 fireflies. The combo of the Concero HD and the WA7 has been really fun with my Grado PS1000E phones. BUT, I had to change my downstairs (home) office computer (with speakers), and the new one didn't have a soundcard since I want to use an external DAC anyway. Making a long story short, my concero HD has ended up down there, and I really miss it on the headphone rig and my work computer! I ordered the Schiit mimby, and I'm going to see how it fares against the Concero HD, keeping in mind the Concero is over 3 times the price. I'll probably end up putting mimby downstairs, and the concero HD will go back to it's double duty, and that will tide me over for awhile. I'm really interested in seeing if mimby can hang, and am really interested in this multibit technology. Should be fun!

I am looking to the future, to either the gungnir mb or yggy for my work and home desktop rigs (with speakers), so I want to see how the mimby does, especially since I read on other threads it even sort of hangs with Yggy. If it's disapointing, I might look at getting another Concero HD instead or even two more. I really do love the Concero HD, and when I use it, I can't imagine a better sound, then again I'm a newbie with DACs. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,214 of 2,480
Yeah Modi Multibit is probably one of the biggest things (and Hypes) that came out lately in the Hifi Audio World, definitely worth a look and listen. But i'm fully satisfied with my Concero HD right now.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,215 of 2,480

Just added an Aqvox to feed power to my Concero HD.  In my system, it makes a phenomenal difference - best $120 I ever spent.  Honestly hard to imagine what more you could ask from a DAC.  I'd love to compare with some of these new Schiits, Myteks and Chords.  Most products are over-specified with unnecessary connections for my application.  I love the simplicity and pure focus on SQ my Concero provides.   

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,216 of 2,480

Just added an Aqvox to feed power to my Concero HD.  In my system, it makes a phenomenal difference - best $120 I ever spent.  Honestly hard to imagine what more you could ask from a DAC.  I'd love to compare with some of these new Schiits, Myteks and Chords.  Most products are over-specified with unnecessary connections for my application.  I love the simplicity and pure focus on SQ my Concero provides.   

I also have an Aqvox Power Supply, but honestly after getting enough playing time on the Concero HD i don't necessarily need it anymore. The Sound is nice and analog as it is. Of course YMMW
But the Aqvox surely makes a difference in Sound.
Next thing i probably will try is the iFi Purifier 2 with my DAC, although that has time since i enjoy my current setup, just listening to music and such.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,217 of 2,480
  I also have an Aqvox Power Supply, but honestly after getting enough playing time on the Concero HD i don't necessarily need it anymore. The Sound is organic as it is. Of course YMMW
But the Aqvox surely makes a difference in Sound.
But next thing i will try is the iFi Purifier 2 with my DAC, although that has time since i enjoy my current setup, just listening to music and such.

It's very strange how product combinations vary, depending on all the other pieces in your system.  I've had the Concero HD for 2 years, and it's been very good.  Now it's simply great.  Clear step forward.  I'll be fascinated to hear if the IFI is any better than the Aqvox in yours, if you get one.  .

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #2,218 of 2,480
Hey JJ1960,

i think i may have to plug my Aqvox into my Concero HD again.

The problem was, when i first used the Aqvox it gave an incredible relaxed and soft sound, spacious indeed but a little bit of the dynamics got lost. That got away at some point (it wasn't overly warm) but i never really tried again as the Concero got more relaxed anyway and to a point i was satisfied.

But without the Aqvox the Concero HD was to forward sounding at first.

But like i said after some time the Concero loosened up and with fidelizer (which has an slight impact at least to me) it was nice and fluid.

but i may have to try the aqvox again the next couple days.
I might also have to mention that my Aqvox was bought from another user and was glued together because it was damaged, so i was afraid to use it anyway because of fear of a short circuit.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,219 of 2,480
  Hey JJ1960,

i think i may have to plug my Aqvox into my Concero HD again.

The problem was, when i first used the Aqvox it gave an incredible relaxed and soft sound, spacious indeed but a little bit of the dynamics got lost. That got away at some point (it wasn't overly warm) but i never really tried again as the Concero got more relaxed anyway and to a point i was satisfied.

But without the Aqvox the Concero HD was to forward sounding at first.

But like i said after some time the Concero loosened up and with fidelizer (which has an slight impact at least to me) it was nice and fluid.

but i may have to try the aqvox again the next couple days.
I might also have to mention that my Aqvox was bought from another user and was glued together because it was damaged, so i was afraid to use it anyway because of fear of a short circuit.

Hey Amigstar,

I'd give it another shot, if I were you - before you let it go. But fact it was glued together is suspicious.  Another strange thing...the Aqvox site talks about turning the plug around to ensure the right polarity.  I've got to say, this makes zero difference in my setup.  BTW, I live in the USA so am using it through a converter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back